Tuning P-Rod tuner needed

Squirrel hunting with about a 3 magazine count. One thing I was concerned about is the hammer settings staying put with the Jefferson State stock adapter installed.

I have a friend who has the JSAR stock adapter, it doesn't affect the Hammer adjustment at all, now for tuning, turn the hammer spring up till you get 700 fps, it will shoot more accurately, you'll get about 3 magazines worth of good shots from it and it will knock the crap out of Squirrels....👍

I have dreamed of having a Prod for over two years. I got one in the early part of December. I wanted to go into the purchase with my eyes wide open. I don’t like having “buyers regret.” I knew I was buying a gun that is relatively low powered and has an acceptable shot count. It is also very well made and is spot-on accurate. And, to my seventy-seven year old ears, it is a little on the loud side to be truly backyard friendly. It is light and can be carried in a backpack when not in carbine form.

And, I must add, the Prod is simply one of the coolest airguns on the market...period.

Steve Scialli has a YouTube channel. He is well respected for his tests air rifles. He formally owned a Woods Walker. In 2016 he did a review of the Prod. He is meticulous in his reviews and also tries many pellets in each gun to find the best. His reviews provide an excellent starting point for learning about an airgun.

Here is the link to his review of the Prod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScHMY5K9Wc&t=474s

I just got mine Wednesday, checked it over and adjusted the trigger, cleaned the barrel, Made an LDC for it, and installed a Discovery 4-16x42 scope, dialed it in at 12 yards, going to see what the Chrony says on Sunday at the range, will dial it in to 700 fps

Prod LDC1.1610143771.jpg

Prod LDC2.1610143785.jpg

I am happy for you. I am sure you will have a great time with the Prod. It is a unique pistol/carbine. 

One interesting thing. When I got my Prod about a month ago I, like you, cleaned the barrel and put a rifle scope on it. I wanted to shoot about fifty pellets through it to make sure all internal valves were seated and to see that there were no problems with the gun. I had a tin of Crosman hollow points and used them for the break-in period. I did not expect those cheap pellets to shoot well – I have better pellets. I also adjusted the scope while shooting.

Low-and-behold! When shooting at twenty yards with the Crosman hollow point pellets I discovered how accurate the Prod is. Twice in a row I shot seven-shot groups at 3/8 inch. Wow! That Prod makes me look like a good shooter.

Again, all of us are happy for us. Let us know what happens on Sunday.

That looks like the start of an ever descending shot string. You might want to back off that updated hammer spring a little. Don’t concern yourself with that one really big impressive fps number to make yourself feel that all your mods are worthwhile. I’ll bet you can get that string to flatten out around 750+ or - fps. Which is still very respectable.

I also recently received my Prod. After cleaning and putting a UTG 2 to 7x 42 scope on it I sighted it in a 30 yards. It is definitely louder that the Mrod so I ordered a moderator for it. I started using the Crosman Priemere 14.3 domed pellets with the idea of putting 500 pellets through it before I started tuning.

It was most accurate between 650 and 670 FPS (670the fastest in the string of 30) The best fill pressure seems to be between 2600 psi and 1900 after which there is a quick drop off in pellet speed. I got 17 good shots at 650 or above between those psi levels. Definitely need to adjust something to improve the shot count.

The other morning I shot a string of 16 JSB 13.43 Exact pellets at a target and shrunk the group down to 3/4 and1/2 inch groups. I did not dig the chronograph out but the faster perceived speed tightened the group from one inch.

I will start to tune in another week or so once I reach my goal of 500 shots. I will post some images once I get my moderator and let this thread know how the tuning went.

Cheers

Chase

Hey Chase,

We're enjoying following your "journey" with your Prod. Please keep us up to date with your changes, etc. You are NOT boring us.

As you can see from my January post, I have Prod. I still enjoy my Prod. I now have a much more powerful rifle that is much more effective at longer ranges. I love it. 

But, that Prod is just fun. And it is accurate. Why do I keep picking it up? Ha ha

Thank you for keeping us in the loop with your tunes.

Fred

Had my Prod for 6 weeks now and finally got it tuned. Put a Hill moderator on as well as a Allen butt pad to lengthen the shoulder stock. The cheek pad in the attached photo came off a Savage 110 Scout rifle I modified. Other than those additions I have not modified the gun with any new internal parts.

I started my tune after watching a You Tube video by (airgunenthusiast) "Episode 1 - Tuning The Benjamin Marauder Pistol"

Before making any actual tune afjustments I backed out from the factory tune position (hammer spring tension using 3/16 allen, 2 1/3 turns ccw to end of travel) (Hammer throw using 1/8 Allen, 1 1/2 turns ccw to end of travel)

From the full backed out position I ended up with a Spring tension setting of 4 1/2 CW turns and a Hammer throw setting of 2 CW turns from the full back out position. One thing I noticed is that the hammer noise lessened as I got closer to my final tune position. I doubt I would have noticed this if I didn't have a moderator on the gun.

You cannot make informed tuning adjustments without a chronograph and shooting shot strings to evaluate the adjustments you have made. I started out making half turn adjustments and when I thought I was close I went to 1/4 turns. I ended up with a 1/3 turn adjustment after shooting for accuracy and cleaning the gun on a second day of chronographing.

These final adjustments gave me an average of 687 fps with a JSB 13.43 gr Match Diablo RS pellet, 14.1 fpe and 24 shots before accuracy suffers and air refresh is needed.

I am happy with the pellet speed and shot count. The fpe is plenty for squirrels but accuracy is most important. Attached is a photo of a 5 shot target at 30 yds. Note that there are two holes, the lower hole has 4 shots and the 5th shot a little high but touching. I have been shooting at a 20 shot, 25 yard benchrest target(at 30 yds distance) when the weather permits and my high score is 193. That's 7-9s and 13-10s. Gotta admit I'm happy and having fun.

Cheers

Chase

IMG_20210710_142001213_HDR2.1625950778.jpg

IMG_20210710_142128227_HDR.1625950814.jpg