• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

P O I on FX Streamline

Just wondered if anyone else had this phenomena happen ....I was out at the range again today and shooting at 35 yards

Low Power setting (1 dot) shoots 3.5 " low and definitely to the right (1/2")

Medium Power Setting (2 dots) shoots very close to the bullseye and has a slight preference to the right but not much (Better grouping than 1) 

High Power setting (3 dots) shoots 1" high and very precisely straight above bullseye. (also the tightest groups) (I originally sighted in the gun on 3)

I would have thought that once sighted in , all 3 power settings would put a pellet in a vertical line but this gun has shot this way from day one.

Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

All the best to everyone for 2019

Cheers............. Lucky 

Mine has always just dropped vertically. I can go to Mid or Low power on the fly and just make an adjustment to the elevation turret for a bullseye.

You are pulling off the shot. The fast shot is out of the barrel & on target before if is effected. The slightest movement is magnified by a slow projectile.

I agree experienced both of these!👍🏽

Not unusual, in fact, expected. I can't tell you why, but I assume it has to do with changing barrel harmonics with different velocity levels. If you were pulling the shot, I think you would see it at all power levels, as all velocities are rather low. I used to do CF benchrest shooting, where reloading at the bench between strings was the common practice, as loads are sometimes changed to accommodate conditions. A slight change in powder charge, different primer, even neck tension in bullet seating, all would sometimes change POI horizontally. In that game, the velocity was well over 3,000 fps, I shot free recoil so I wasn't touching the stock, except the slight pressure from the pad of my finger on a 2 oz trigger, so the shot wasn't pulled. You might also notice this phenomenon with changing weather conditions also (not just wind). It's normal. 

Higher velocity will make the pellet drift/spin more to the right, lower a bit to the left, provided your rifling is right hand twist, this has been thoroughly discussed and I notice the small change in horizontal POI when dramatically changing the velocity of the same weight projectile on every pellet gun I shoot with rifling. Pellets are spun by the rifling of the barrel, however small it may be, it still produces revolutions which produce torque, that torque has a gyroscopic effect that pulls the pellet towards the direction it spins...however its marginal...HTH

Harmonics have a much greater effect on vertical POI shifts rather than horizontal, due to the nature of physics and how the gas is released from the barrel, the vibration / frequency however is very marginal on lower powered rifles..

-Matt

Very Interesting comments on this .. I thank you most kindly! When I review my targets I can see a slight preference of the groups slightly to right of centre even on high power, so I might recalibrate my scope and move it slightly to the left and see if this tightens the vertical groups a bit.

So many factors, yes including weather, harmonics and my own ability to pull a shot to the right... And this makes total sense to see it more exaggerated at 500 fps than at 925fps.

Interestingly as well to note.. I am using this FX mainly to pest Starlings and shooting almost exclusively on low power around farm buildings and having zero issues hitting the targets.

I absolutely love this rifle , BTW and only posted as a matter of curiosity... certainly not being critical.

All the best of the New Year to everyone ... Lucky

PS.. Love this site and forum too! cheers... 

The Streamline 22 is awesome for that work LS. 

Here are 167 starlings I shot from inside a barn one night, all on Low power using JSB Exact RS pellets.

1546399726_15643411545c2c2feed01171.80150030_IMG_20180128_111241263_HDR.jpg

1546399678_11340864515c2c2fbe1f7275.87841322_IMG_20180128_105531637_HDR.jpg

I was target shooting with my Streamline .22 yesterday and I remembered this thread. I was using JSB 14, 15, and 18 gr. pellets so I did a quick test. The 14's shot a perfect vertical string on all three power settings, the 15's low and medium power were inline but hi power 1/4" left, and the 18's low and medium power were inline hi power 1/4" left. The test was at 25yds. The gun prefers the 18's on hi power and the 15's on low and medium power, get some fliers with the 14's. I get over 120 shot on low power!