Ozark Mountain Airgun Club's First Event

@Everyone Attending

I met up with another guy coming to this Meetup/Hunt to scout the campsites and potential areas to hunt.

Camping: I visited both Campsites that Sam has posted GPS Arial Images of. The Lower more primitive camp is good size, secluded, and next go a creek, but has not been finished mowed yet, so maybe it will be done before October 2nd gets here. I also noticed a ton of gnats swarming when I stepped out of my vehicle to dawn my gear and hit the trail. If you plan on staying at the lower camp just pack some good insect repellant and plan on having a fire going to keep them out of camp. 

The Northern Campsites are nice. I did see a few Horse Trailers parked on the loop, but it didn't appear that were camping out (just day riding). The East side of that Campsite has signs up indicating the horse trailers cannot park over in that area so it's perfect for everyone that wants level ground, fire rings, bathrooms within walking distance, and some non potable water close. I even had a few bars of 4g signal when I was up there in that camp (Verizon).

I will most likely be staying in the Northern Camp due to having a good option of trees around to throw up a hammock and the fire rings make it easier to cook on. Plus having a bit of service is nice incase I need to make a phone call. 

Hunting: I walked a few different trails off of the main road. Plenty of Oak and Hickory Trees on every trail I walked. Did run across a few persimmon trees as well, but they were a few weeks out from harvest. 

I saw most of the Grey Squirrels on Oak trees, but did see some running around on some Walnuts down in the bottom next to the creek. 

Some trails are pretty nice to navigate thanks to the trail riders keeping it cleared in a single track fashion making it easy to walk through the forest remaining quiet. Other trails get are a little grown up, but still better then taking off through the woods fighting all of the undergrowth. 

Make sure you have your Small Game license purchased before Saturday Morning. Wouldn't want a conservation agent to ruin your trip! (Doubt we will run into one, but you never know)

Last Note: If you plan on taking home First place you'll have to be prepared to make some fast shots. These squirrels don't wait around for anything and if they hit the ground they are gone! The undergrowth is still dense, but saw plenty of squirrels in the tops of trees allowing a quick shooter a chance to harvest. 

I hope you all can make it out!

I know when we checked out the area a while back bugs were horrible down by the river. Gnats everywhere! I didn't get out and see how they were down by the creek site because it had been overgrown and hadn't considered it until the conservation guy called me back and told me he would mow it.

If they are as bad there, then I will most likely move up to the main campground. I won't know til Oct 1st. But I plan to get out there very early and check it out that friday. 

https://youtu.be/9jK-NcRmVcw

Its time to get a headcount for the clubs first event. If folks wouldn't mind either posting on here, or pm'ing either Casey or myself, if they plan to attend the squirrel hunt. So we could have an idea of who to look for at weigh in that Saturday at 3:00pm. Also if you plan to be at the grill out on Friday, so we can plan on having enough food.

Thanks, and we will see you all in a week!

OK folks, chances of rain for this weekend keep climbing. Right now we have 3 choices to consider.

1) Carry on as planned

2) Reschedule event

3) Still have get together but shift the Saturday event to a target competition at the Lead Mine Gun Range

We hope to make a decision tomorrow Thursday morning 9/30. If folks attending have a preference, let us know. And we will try to consider everything as best we can. Thanks!

I'm still seeing 50%-60% for tunas on weather.com. 

Screenshot_20210929-131329603.1632939469.jpg

We are really hoping not to have to reschedule, because there's a good chance no matter which weekend it gets moved to, it won't work out for someone that was planning to attend