Ozark Mountain Airgun Club's First Event

Bjames, SweezC and I only met a couple weeks ago. He contacted me, after I had kind of gone inactive. I enjoy airguns a lot more when with others. We met for a squirrel hunt (got skunked), but was a good time. Afterwards, we just adopted the mentality of "if you build it, they will come". Suggested by another forum member who successfully co-founded a club in California. 

We have no idea how this is going to go, but figured its worth a try. If we can find just a couple other folks interested in airguns, that we can have enjoyable get togethers with, mission accomplished. If it grows bigger, that's all the better. 

My point is, if you have nothing in the area, just put the word out that you'd like to gather with other airgunners around. It will take some effort, and patience, but with enough of it you may someday have a group of folks around you to share the airgun sport with in Pennsylvania. I wish you luck in your search!

Sammy

Get some clothes soaked in permethrin so the ticks stay away. I know too many people with tick borne illnesses and they are not always tested for now days.

Looks like I already took off Friday the 1st so I get to come down early to get my weekend fun started early. Daily limit of squirrels is still 6 right? Does that mean we have to cook up a few throughout the day and keep the tails to up our total count?

@ Joedirt199

Daily Limit in MO is 10, Possession is 20.

Yes, permethrin is a great idea! It's a better alternative than the regular spray.

I would say we will only count the squirrels taken on Saturday since not everyone will be available to come down Friday to hunt early. 

I would use your Friday to scout the area and find potential hot spots to hit up Saturday morning for the official Hunt! 

That's what I plan on doing if I can get up there before late afternoon. 

I made a jog over to the lead mine conservation this past weekend. The place is pretty big. All along the roads are parking spots for exploring. The campgrounds are all primitive camping. With the only toilet (vault) being at the campground in the middle of the area. This one also has parking pads and fire pits. The rest are just patches of grass. 

The firing range is on the southeast corner. To get to it, you have to take the county road that runs along the southern border. Theres a "hunting" campground along that southern edge that opens Oct 1st. 

As of now, theres a lot of undergrowth. Hopefully a month from now changes that. I did see a couple does running about.

I have verizon, the only place it worked was at the range and the hunting campground.

Its going to be a long month waiting, but sounds like its going to be a good turnout!

Forget finding squirrels away from my spot. Just got my custom made squirrel call from "Ozarkhunter" [email protected] on a bushcraft forum I frequent. Asked for the burliest piece he had and this is what he sent me. Now to check rosetta stone for squirrel translation.

cDWBpyph.jpg
[/url][/img]

Hm6AshIh.jpg
[/url][/img]

Also in my haste to grab JSBs on pyramid air, I accidentally bought .25 exact kings 25.39 grain and don't have a .25 air rifle. I have 2 unopened 350 ct tins that I could sell for what I have in them. Also if someone wants 2 of the 12 shot .22 crosman turkish gun mags, I bought some thinking they would fit my Kral and they don't, too thin. One is open and the other is still in the package. Would like to get rid of them and save myself the trouble of shipping them back and eating a restocking fee no doubt. 

Joedirt199, i may need a beefier moderator on my gun to quiet it to a mouse fart. You will probably notice me shooting your squirrels you call in with that cool looking call just 50' from ya ;) 

Ive got the club hats on order for the winners. The pic they sent me looked good. Im pleased how they turned out. I will post some pics once i have them in hand. Slapped the clubs first logo on some Carhartt 100% cotton canvas hats. So hopefully they hold up.

Casey sent me a pic of the targets he is planning to make for the winners too. I will let him tell yall bout them, but i will say i am pretty excited to see them in person (and hopefully win one).

Our plan is to take several pics of this event so that we actually have something to show for an online presence. Right now we just have some empty accounts set up on social media. So bring yalls best smile!

Joedirt, 

Good looking call, how does it sound? Would love to see a video of it being used to hear quality of sound it makes! Is there a web site for those calls? I use my mouth to call squirrels and have mastered it quite well, but am drawn to mouth calls.

You boys are up to having a good time, wish I was closer. Hope you have a great turn out.

Cheers