• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

owners of compressors, one year later.

I'm still very new to pcp and my first compressor was GX C S3 I. had it since February but, I didn't get the avenger until 3 weeks ago , on 7/11 21 it started blowing oil or grease thru the moisture tube. I only have the Avenger 25 Cal that i mostly shoot on the weekend. Now I have to find something that I can count on down the road without spending $ 700.00 I'm hoping that I can get some help on picking my next one.

My opinion is that right now the technology available hasn’t allowed for a reliable and affordable compressor. I’ll stay with my air tank and keep making trips to the paintball shop for refills until the technology improves. It seems to me that all of the sub $1000 compressors have a very high failure rate. I’d love to have a reliable compressor down the road.

The Yong Heng compressors are about the best you can do for $1000 and they only cost $300 so are quite a bargain. Still they are Made in China so there will be some QC problems. They are very reliable if you get a good one. If not parts are readily available and fixes are relatively simple with lots of you tube vids to help.

I now have two YH compressors bought the second as a backup for the first as I fergot to turn on the coolant pump several times and overheated the first until it smoked. It did not like it but it continued to run just fine. Still I did not trust it after that.

So I bought a second one to be my back up unit. It died in about two months bad QC from the factory. Cost me $12 for a new second stage piston and an hours’ time to replace it. Then to add insult to injury I fergot to put oil in, the latest unit after I put it back together, and ran it for several minutes without any. So I filled it with oil and it fired up and somehow still werqs fine. A testament to the oil it had in it before. The #1 unit that, I was worried about cuz I overheated it so many times, just kept on filling my guns and tanks till I got #2 repaired. The #1 unit got retired because it had the weak old style piston in it. I will replace that someday and have another good compressor.

Like I said these are the best you will get for under $1K still there may be a slight amount of tinkering involved. Mostly replacing o-rings and seals, now and then, five or ten minute jobs. If you can handle this they are good for several years which is far longer than anything else even in the $1300 price range.

The Yong Heng "Simple" version least expensive does not have a water separator you need one.

If you messed up and got the “Simple” version you can get parts on Aliexpress to add it for <$40 or you can spend much more on a decent water separator and filter.

The "Auto Stop" version shuts off near 3000psi probly not a good thing for most people.

So you likely want the "Hardcover" or "Set Pressure" versions your choice on the 110V or 220V.

The 220V will run approximately 15% faster here in the USA as we run our 220V at 60hz instead of the 50hz found elsewhere. This may or may not be a problem depending on the compressors environment and cooling.

There is now a new Digital version of the Yong Heng out. I know nothing about it it has not been around long enough and no reviews are available. I would expect it to be as good as the Hardcover and Set Pressure versions although it may do more. The poor quality gauge with the settable dial, on the Set Pressure version that failed all of the time has been replaced by a digital readout. But I am not sure the functions the same as the Set Pressure version does yet.

New "Smart Digital Version" 110V here

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32863018900.html?gps-id=pcStoreJustForYou&scm=1007.23125.137358.0&scm_id=1007.23125.137358.0&scm-url=1007.23125.137358.0&pvid=18869e03-a54e-473a-963c-80fd82b94821&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_6000934560035.1

New Digital version 220V

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815880523.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2ee360718xbmkY&algo_pvid=20abc6ca-c5fa-4bb8-bdf0-d13897a53109&algo_exp_id=20abc6ca-c5fa-4bb8-bdf0-d13897a53109-25

I am aware that shipping has gone way up and this is no longer the least expensive place to buy the YH but it will show you the different models so you know what to look for elsewhere.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824234795.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_13760454.subject_2

Amazon now has a decent price and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/YONG-HENG/s?k=YONG+HENG

Gunner - do you have the "oilless" or the "oil bath" version? The moisture tube is supposed to trap the water and oil in the output on those compressors. I over greased mine and got a oil slick in the tube. It is better than putting that oil into the pressure tank on your gun.

If you want, I can help you break into the compressor and clean out the trap where the oil and water are separated. I have been into mine a couple of times, it's not hard to do.

Buy a used Bauer on ebay

Agreed. Buy a top of the line compressor if you plan on staying in AG's or ever shooting slugs long range. 15+ years & I finally got a good compressor. I'll never put anything but E grade breathing air in any PCP. I'll never buy a used PCP that was subjected to hand pumped or inferior air. Not if we're talking $1K+ airguns.

Alkin, Bauer, Eagle, Mako, Sauer, etc. 

It doesn't make sense to spend $1800-$3500 or more on a PCP & fill it with anything else. 
I'm not with Alkin or selling mine. Just my honest opinion on the subject. 

F839B26E-B013-4DF0-8E3E-E45AB3718EC1.1626086193.jpeg
15700DF9-3080-4592-8927-27854F9AA7CF.1626086196.jpeg

ying hong is perfect for the weekend warrior .. nothing lasts forever but im sure it will hang in there several years if your considerate to it ... what i personally wouldnt do is spend a couple of grand on pretty much any tool that i only need once a month more or less .. things will go bad just from sitting and age .. the sue yung is cheap enough to be consumable and replaced every few years ...

Has anyone tried any of the twin cylinders that are around 600.00(a little over my budget BUT lol). I'm just thinking that they don't have to work as hard, longer life maybe? water cooled and not a sealed oil system i think is a huge plus. At least you can work on them,, if need be.

What about a YH do you not understand?

Do you really think any compressor at all will go from 0-4500psi in one stroke?

They are all as a bare minimum 2 piston setups. One might be stacked ontop of another or arranged in a V. But believe you me thay are 2 piston compressors as a bare minimum.

The problem with that is dieseling of any combustables.

The dieseling point of an engine is roughly 245psi, where it will start to combust anything just from the pressure of compressing alone.

A 2-step compressor at 4500spi will have to do some 17.3 times compression (17,3bar~251psi) at each step and that is where the beast lives (and thrives!).

Use anything but the best synthetic compressor oils (that dont burn or gas off easily) and you should be good but substitute with cheap engine oil and you will see burnt reed valves and blown/worn piston rings in a short time. Especially if you go way past 3000psi fill pressure.

Now a 3 piston compressor only needs to do 1:7 on each stage (to go 3000bar~4500psi), and valve damage, dieseling, and super hot pistons is a thing of the past.

And now you're in the $1500 range.

It's the feared trialgle

Good and fast wont be cheap

Good and cheap wont be fast

Fast and cheap wont be good

Good and cheap: https://www.altaros.cz/en/50-compressors

Suggesting the Alkin to someone who states that "$700" is a lot? OK.

LOL. I agree but having done this three or four times and every which way its pretty hard to sugar coat the reality. I had a daystate 110 and a nitrogen set up and finally bought the ALKIN. LOTS of guys use the YH compressors with great success and I am offering no criticism but I question three things about them. 1st how long will they last 2nd is the air produced truly dry and clean 3rd do you really not mind dealing with water cooling and the time required to fill your tank. The used Bauer is fine IF? you can find one and have a source for service. My understanding is the air dryers frequently need service and it’s not cheap. So here is my suggestion buy the Alkin if you can. If not buy the HY and set it up correctly. There is a TON of information on the forum. I know most can not manage the Alkin or even need it but I can tell you it’s REALLY nice. My advice is don’t spend $1000 or $1500 as I did first . If you are going to dive in go to the deep end of the pool .

I said i was new to pcp, but if you look back on what you said (engine) motors run on electricity and engines run on combustion. The engine converts various forms of fuels into mechanical force, while the motor transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy.” We are talking about motors, not engines.