Tuning Overfilled Hatsan Vortex Type 2 piston (Hatsan 130/135) Help

Hi guys,
I need some help.
Before you call me an idiot, save it, I've called myself worse the last hour...
grin.gif

I just got my brand new 130 Vortex QE .22, my first gas ram by the way.
It needed filling so I took my scuba tank, put in the probe, opened the valve slowly slowly, nothing happened at first,
I guess resistance in the non return valve then -bam north of 250 bar, /3600psi probably ~280bar/4000psi as the
scuba tank was recently filled.
The gas piston is in the cylinder, that's probably why it didn't explode.
Any idea to release the air ? I don't have the screw on the other to release the pressure. It would be suicide to
try to take apart.
In retrospect I should have used the compressor instead, to slowly build pressure, what's done is done.

Cheers

Can you rotate the piston as is? (Can't remember if the notch in those pistons fits onto something and would prevent turning.) There is usually a bleed screw near the fill port. Very slowly crack the screw loose and bleed out the pressure. You will need to remove the screw and add blue loctite to it before replacing and allow it to cure before filling it up again. And yes, it's best to use a hand pump.

The only other option I can offer is to remove the piston and bleed the pressure...

Can you rotate the piston as is? (Can't remember if the notch in those pistons fits onto something and would prevent turning.) There is usually a bleed screw near the fill port. Very slowly crack the screw loose and bleed out the pressure. You will need to remove the screw and add blue loctite to it before replacing and allow it to cure before filling it up again. And yes, it's best to use a hand pump.

The only other option I can offer is to remove the piston and bleed the pressure...

Sorry, no. I tried, with long Hex key and a vice, I even had to dremel the cylinder some to get the fill probe in. Probably even more stuck now with an additional 250 bar in it.

Following the same procedure as "mikeyb".

A drill guide for the drill, an impact resistant screen, 3m rope, and I had my motorcycle helmet on.

I rigged everything up this morning, but kept putting it off, quite a bit nervous.
I finally gave it a go .... As mikeyb said - what an anticlimax, just a slow hiss, hard to tell if it was the air releasing or something rubbing, hard to tell over the motor of the drill press.

Hope this helps if anyone gets into the same situation. But, remember you have to know what you are doing, a common garage compressor tank is 8 bar, this is 280 bar.
IMG_20210501_104218.1619867570.jpg
IMG_20210501_112340.1619867570.jpg
IMG_20210501_123317.1619867570.jpg
IMG_20210501_124033.1619867570.jpg