Over-working our compressors!

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not so I thought I would just put it out there and get your thoughts.

Are we over-working our compressors when we add extra filters for drying the air? Lets take the Air Venturi model for example. It has a built-in air filter so it's made to handle that workload. When we start adding filters into the mix, like the gold ones lots of people are buying, is it possibly creating another restriction for the air to pass through? Of course we all want the driest air we can get going into our tanks and guns, but this may cause extra wear and tear on the compressor as it's not built for that restriction if there is one.

This was just a thought. I look forward to your comments.

Restriction problem I don't believe so but the compressors do have to run longer to fill the extra volume and that could make a quite difference in the life cycle of some compressors. It's like filling two or three guns instead of just the one. So I would not use a large filter on any of the inexpensive oil-less air cooled style usually12V capable compressors. Find a smaller volume filter for them. Same with hand pumps don't wear yourself and your pump out use a small filter.

An extra filter does not add pressure resistance but it does add extra air space to compress and it adds run time. It is unnecessary for direct rifle fills. Shoeboxes and slow filling 12 volt compressors shouldn't be used with large filters but they only add about 20-30 seconds to an Air Venturi's run time. Add on filters are a benefit for any compressor with inadequate moisture filtration. It is a must for a Daystate LC-110 which omits a final filter to make it more affordable. On Yong Heng type compressors, a gold water separator with moisture drain is more effective than a gold filter for moisture removal. It will remove moisture more efficiently and doesn't require desiccant. With a gold water separator, the little filter housing that comes on the Yong Heng compressors will be all that is required to catch the miniscule amount that isn't collected in the water separator.

Most of the down fall on the little compressors is auto shut off" when those little guys, are up to 3500psi and are shut off,thats one hell of a blow between the crank and piston rod"i no its cool to have the auto shut off but that's one hell of a strain."when ya bleed both vales as the motor runs no stress.💀
DSCF2921.1608694018.JPG

Thanks everyone. I already have the filter with the moisture drain, along with the gold filter with cotton insert. I plan on getting the Omega Turbo compressor and I know it may be a bit of overkill since the Omega has the built-in feature of the timed, moisture release valve. I just wanted to make sure I have the cleanest, driest air I can get without over burdening the compressor. I won't be filling guns directly since I have an Airhog 88 cuft tank. Thanks for the comments. Merry Christmas to all and happy shooting.

Keith.