• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Out of elevation at 30 yards

Ok new to airguns and short distance shooting,tried setting scope at 30 yards on my R9 I ran out of elevation it’s coming up 2 inches low at 30 yards should i get a 20MOA base or is the something special I need to do with an air gun I’m clueless.I just don’t want to start doing things to the gun until someone who knows advises me on the correct procedure.

I bought adjustable scope rings that give more control. I dial the turret all the way down and then add about 25 to 30 clicks up. Then I have a solid and stable bench where I fire a shot and instead of using the turrets I adjust the scope by gently moving up or down and then tighten it down when the reticle is just below the poi. 

At that point I can dial up just a few to be at zero. This will now give you the majority of elevation adjustment as well.
image.1630238626.jpg

You can see the difference between the first and second rings. Hope this helps you and there are a few videos on the process as well on youtube as well.

Badduck 

First, what kind of a scope is it? If you turned the turrets to the extremes, you might have damaged the scope, particularly the cheaper budget models.

What you must do next, is return the scope to it's optical center. It's not a difficult process, but a little long to describe here. Check out my YouTube channel, Field Target Tech, I have an episode on optically centering a scope.

The next order of business is to get a set of fully adjustable scope rings. I use Sportsmatch, make sure you get the elevation and windage adjustable model, it'll save you a lot of trouble down the road. Make sure you get the right size to fit your scope tube. They are expensive, but will 100% solve your problem.

Any other questions or inquiries, please feel free to ask.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

I have had great success shimming scopes. You can even use a layer or two of Scotch tape on the rear scope mount. It doesn’t take much to get the required degree of adjustment. Just make sure, as SteveKralsAround, JimMn and Wahoowad to loosen the front scope mount cap first and then not crank them down too tightly.

There is no question that the ideal way is to get adjustable scope mounts, but its not necessary in my opinion.

I agree with Tom Holland. Buy a set of fully adjustable Sportsmatch rings. I don't shim scopes because I believe it MIGHT damage the tube. Others certainly feel differently. The fully adjustable rings will solve your problem with NO stress on the scope tube.

Amen, been a gunsmith for over 30 yrs, never shim mounts unless your willing to risk crushing the scope tube, which will void your warranty. Use an adjustable mount !! Cant remember how many crushed tubes and other scope damage caused by shimming over the years. 

I fail to see how a coke can shim placed under the scope tube will lead to a crushed scope tube. Lets have a little thought experiment here...

Let's assume you torque your ring caps to 15 in-lbs. So WITHOUT a shim your scope tube is sandwiched in contact between the ring cap and scope base at 15 in-lbs. Then assume you install a coke can shim and re-tighten and properly torque down your ring caps. Now your scope tube is once again sandwiched in contact between the ring cap and the coke can shim (which is resting against the scope base). So what's the difference?

I'm sure someone will come up with an extreme example but nobody has recommended an extreme example to OP here.

I'm not sure if I'm getting BS called on me, but let me defend myself just in case.

Firstly I never said I was a gunsmith, I re-blued the guns and refinished the stocks.

Secondly I have seen many a rifle shimmed, with soda can strips, under the rear scope tube.

I have never seen, in the 4 years I worked there, any scope damaged by shimming. In fact I've never seen it in my entire life.

When a customer walks in with a 10-22 and wants it fast and extremely cheap, you do what you have to do.

The customers with the 300 Win Mag Weatherby's had the resources to do it correctly.

Just sayin!!

Will