Ouch.....

I am lined up on an English sparrow minutes ago. 30-35 degree upward angle near the top of my dead ash tree. Distance is 30 yards. Center punched the bird, hear whizzing pellet, then get hit in my left forearm by .22 pellet while gun still raised. Pellet drops at my feet. Pellet center hits inch thick dead branch. Lightning quick ricochet. Karma?😉

1592864816_20870215075ef13030591263.29868861.JPG

seven08,

You are very lucky, thumper was on scene to get that awful bird. 

I had a not so bright idea one day....a couple of crows bring me golf balls and drop them in my water trough??? Why and where do they get them, I don't know?? I have eleven now and I thought I will use them for targets to impress my friends. I shot and hit several and was feeling pretty manly. I told my son"here hold my beer and I will shoot some more"....Loaded my 22 cal Gamo Urban and aimed carefully, pulled the trigger and hit my target ball and whiz bang boom the pellet just grazed my right ear. I was at 30 yrds and never guessed something like that could happen.

Moral of my story, collect golf balls and shoot crows instead.

arrowhead1951

I have a few from the past, too. I'll just go with this one. In the mid 60's my uncle gives me his beat up Jap Type 38 Arisaka 6.5mm rifle. It took me weeks to save enough to buy one box of Norma 6.5 Jap ammo. We had a steel drum lid nailed to an oak tree at 50 yards. The rifle had a badly corroded bore and would keyhole every shot. It made big rips, not holes in the lid. We passed the rifle between me, Dad and Uncle for some shots at the lid. My turn again when that tree spit that sideways hitting bullet back at us at high speed. Passed between me and Uncle about shoulder high. Dad says no more, let me keep the bolt. He went to the shop and cut it into pieces on his band saw. Took me a year to save for a new Winchester M70 in .30-06. That was in '67. 

As the old saying goes, you can't be too careful. I've shot hundreds of thousands of personally reloaded cartridge ammo, never a problem other than a few duds from missing exactly when the powder bottle ran out.

Then one day, shooting a .45 pistol with factory ammo, the pistol blew up! It came apart in my hands, and luckily, my glasses stopped a couple pieces of shrapnel. It was an obvious overload. My only injury was a fracture in my thumb. I told the ammo maker I would take no action if they replaced the pistol, a deal they were all over! I didn't know at the time that my thumb was broken, but the medical bill was nominal.

As recounted above, even soft lead can bounce around. I try to be sure of my backstop, but we all make mistakes. Safety eyeglasses are a must.