Original Diana 45 Questions

It's a re-labeled Diana model 45, also sold here as the RWS 45 for many years, a popular model in the late 70's through 80's. Forget Beeman, their association with Diana airguns ended 30+ years ago, as did production of the original model 45.

The gun probably has tiny numbers stamped on the left rear receiver. This is the production date in MM YY format.

When buying parts etc., be aware there is a newer "model 45" which is based on the popular model 34. It is quite different internally from the original gun.

Parts diagram for the original:

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy
I don't know that an "owner's manual" as such exists for this rifle. Maintaining a break-barrel springer is a pretty straightforward thing, just spend a bit of time researching that. You oil the piston seal through the transfer port. If the gun has been decently maintained and regularly used, there may not be any immediate need to douse anything in oil.

The first thing to check is the breech seal. It's a straightforward O-ring, (sorry don't recall size) and easy to replace. It will likely have a couple thin metal shims under it (per the parts diagram).

The model 45 was made with both leather and synthetic piston seals over time I believe. Take a bit of time to check that out vs. the production date. Here's a couple of very good blog series that will give you an idea what the 45's innards look like. You should be able to google up plenty of info but again be sure you're looking at the right "model 45."

I posted those links just so you could get a feel for what the 45's innards look like, you are right no need to start ripping it apart!

This page from Brad Troyer's excellent American Airguns site has quite a few useful general articles.

Reactions: Rossa
I posted those links just so you could get a feel for what the 45's innards look like, you are right no need to start ripping it apart!

This page from Brad Troyer's excellent American Airguns site has quite a few useful general articles.

Good link and info. I read one of the threads on that link and it leaves me with two questions.
First, it refers to “tap loading “ guns and “rotating the tap” to oil them. What is a tap loading gun? I have a plain old break barrel gun and the link didn’t address those.
Second, it says to absolutely not use a petroleum based oil, and recommends Beeman oils. Since Beeman is apparently out of business, what do I use?
Thanks

You will probably have better luck if you re-titled this thread something like "Original Diana 45 questions." This was a common rifle in its day, but that day was a long time ago, and the "Beeman 250" markings are pretty rare. Only a few old nerds like me would even recognize the name.

Here's a great dealer for maintenance supplies etc.:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossa
You will probably have better luck if you re-titled this thread something like "Original Diana 45 questions." This was a common rifle in its day, but that day was a long time ago, and the "Beeman 250" markings are pretty rare. Only a few old nerds like me would even recognize the name.

Here's a great dealer for maintenance supplies etc.:

Took your advice and renamed the thread. Still trying to figure out what a tap loading gun is and whether my gun is that kind.
I guess I’m overwhelmed at the complexity of what I thought would be pretty simple. I just want to shoot the gun, but I’d like to lube it first, and I keep hearing a lot of terms that mean nothing to an air gun rookie like me.

I have a Diana Mdl 45. It was made in the mid 1980’s if I remember correctly. And it had a leather seal. It shot ok.
I ended up replacing the leathers seal with one from Vortek. It was a bit of a project. And the first time I ever rebuilt a spring piston air gun. You would need a spring compressor to take it apart. Depending on how handy you are. Most people just make them themselves.
Id say for now. Just lube it and shoot it. Mine is kinda pellet picky and hold sensitive. But still a nice gun in general
F1-BA9252-D6-BC-4-ED3-BC44-3-EB022-EF7-FE1.jpg

I have a Diana Mdl 45. It was made in the mid 1980’s if I remember correctly. And it had a leather seal. It shot ok.
I ended up replacing the leathers seal with one from Vortek. It was a bit of a project. And the first time I ever rebuilt a spring piston air gun. You would need a spring compressor to take it apart. Depending on how handy you are. Most people just make them themselves.
Id say for now. Just lube it and shoot it. Mine is kinda pellet picky and hold sensitive. But still a nice gun in general
F1-BA9252-D6-BC-4-ED3-BC44-3-EB022-EF7-FE1.jpg
LOL. I would LOVE to lube it and shoot it! That’s what this thread is about. I still have no idea where to oil the leather seal, and whether I can oil the spring without taking the gun apart.

LOL. I would LOVE to lube it and shoot it! That’s what this thread is about. I still have no idea where to oil the leather seal, and whether I can oil the spring without taking the gun apart.
Crack the rifle open without cocking it. On the barrel side you’ll see the whole where you load the pellet. On the other side you will see a small hole in the end of the chamber, this is the transfer port.
Im not sure how much oil you need to put in the transfer port a couple of drops at a time would be the way I would go. Then leave the rifle standing on its but pad for a day and try it.
As for the spring turn your rifle over and using a cotton bud a small amount of molly paste on the spring. You don’t need a lot as when you shoot it the paste will spread over the spring.
This is the most simple way I can put it after reading your post.Good luck.
Gary

Reactions: survivor45
OK, I’m going to ask a really stupid, rookie question, but I have already admitted that I am a totally uninformed rookie.
When the break barrel is closed, it appears that there is one long tube going back from the muzzle into the receiver.
When the barrel is broken open, you can see the hole where the pellet is placed and a corresponding hole in the receiver. Is the hole in the receiver where the oil goes?