• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Origin or Airacuda for my first PCP

I'm looking at either a Origin or a Airacuda for my first PCP. Origin is already out and the Airacuda is still in production. I will be using a hand pump to fill for a while, but will eventually get a tank a compressor. Thinking .22 first then a .25. Have plenty of .22 pellets sitting around the house and have started buying .25 cal as well in a couple different weights. What are you guys opinions on these two? 

Don't fall for the "gotta get a regulated gun" myth. A regulator does not make the gun better, and it adds another failure point (or multiple failure points )

What is your intended use? Regulated guns often experience regulator creep while in storage, making the first shot or three wildly different than expected. Not useful for the occasional hunter.

There are many skins on that cat.

Reactions: AirDevil
Don't fall for the "gotta get a regulated gun" myth. A regulator does not make the gun better, and it adds another failure point (or multiple failure points )

What is your intended use? Regulated guns often experience regulator creep while in storage, making the first shot or three wildly different than expected. Not useful for the occasional hunter.

Agree 100 %

My .02 for a guy who has been doing PCP for about a year now...

I spent a lot of time watching videos, on this and other forums and when it was a said and done, I purchased an unregulated Cayden. in .22 and a pump.

Excellent choice. it shot the $6.49 Benjamin 14.3 grs with one ragged hole. I was looking for a "do it all: gun."

Some bench shooting, hunting, I wanted adjustable power so I could shoot in the basement in the winter. I went with the traditional wood stock.

Later I too picked up a 74CF bottle as pumping gets a bit old if you like to shoot a lot.

The Cayden turned out to be heavy for carrying in the woods and needed a moderator to quiet it down. I just recently purchased my second PCP, a Brocock Concept XR in .22.

Exceptional regulated PCP. very accurate, plus all the attributes I wanted for a hunting rig.

This hobby can be a rabbit hole, so be careful in falling for it. At the end of the day, pick features that hit most of the things you want to do. and then as you get more time, you'll find what you like and don't like.

I fully agree. A 40fps spread is 1/4” lower at 50 yards. That 40fps would be stretched over a 60+ shot string. Many non regulated guns have competed. I don’t see any reason for a hunter to have a reg. Bench rest comp? Yea

The Umarex Origin was my first PCP. Bought it about 9 months ago and have spent a lot of time with it, probably over 2,000 rounds. While it is a pretty good gun, mine, and others, have annoying point of impact shifts. So you will be dead on shooting it Monday, but when you pull the rifle out on Tuesday it is hitting 1" left at 30 yards. Then it will go back to the original spot for a while. That really bugs me. I want a rifle that is first shot accurate and holds its zero. Other than that, it is powerful, pretty rugged, and the magazines have worked well. It has not developed any leaks. The hand pump that came with the rifle is another story. It failed after a month, and I sent it back to Umarex for a replacement via the warranty. It is now 9 months later and Umarex has not sent me a replacement (after many calls and emails). That is okay with me; that thing was junk! I bought a $60 hand pump on Amazon as a back up to my compressor. Good luck in your selection. PCPs are a lot of fun.