• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Events Oregon State & AAFTA GP Field Target Championships July 14-16th Ashland, OR

With no wind factor and a few up and down factored in... the troyer factor was a 34.5
27 targets were past 40 yards. (53%)
average distance was 35.6 yards
std dev. of 5.88
51 total shots with one shot per target

I wonder if the "Troyer" rating accounts for a one shot per target course... Almost all courses are two shots per target unless they are exclusively a WFTF only match.

inquiring minds want to know:)

Wayne

Reactions: Pea-shooter O.G.
With no wind factor and a few up and down factored in... the troyer factor was a 34.5
27 targets were past 40 yards. (53%)
average distance was 35.6 yards
std dev. of 5.88
51 total shots with one shot per target

I wonder if the "Troyer" rating accounts for a one shot per target course... Almost all courses are two shots per target unless they are exclusively a WFTF only match.

inquiring minds want to know:)

Wayne
A bunch of us braved the heat shooting the Oregon Grand Prix over the weekend. Saturday was 102 and Sunday was cooler at 99?

KUDOS to the Oregon team for putting on a GREAT Grand Prix match. Thank you Wayne, Randy, and your team for keeping us fed and hydrated. The ice packs were also a nice touch.

My scores were horrible. I'll need to work on a number of items to up my game. Definitely a world class challenging Field Target course.
--
Edit
Someone needs to invent a temperature controlled shooting jacket and/or a temperature controlled gun case. I ended up putting ice packs inside my gun case in a futile effort to cool down my scope and rifle (I don't think it worked). There was no space to shove any ice packs into my shooting jackets.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
This was a really enjoyable match. Slight uphill shots, steep downhill shots into a creek bottom, shots between trees, up into trees and the ever need to wiggle around the shooting platforms to miss those pesky oak branches with leaves in the line of fire. Wayne and his team set up a great match course as well as sight in course and did what they could to make participants comfortable in the 100+ degree heat (ugh!). Lots of participants including a family of deer that wandered through the oaks among some targets putting a halt to shooting until they could be persuaded to vacate.

I was fortunate to squad with Wayne himself on day two. He is a hoot to shoot with and even just be around!

A fun presentation at the end of day two with awards to top shooters.

And lets not forget a special thanks to Julie and her supporters who braved the heat in front of the grills to cook bacon, eggs, sausages, hamburgers and other fine food for breakfast and lunch both days. You kept us fueled!

Oh yes, there are things to BUY there. Airguns, scopes, pellets, shirts.........so come prepared to go home with more than a sun tan and a medal. A beautiful little NOS Beeman R7 followed me home for a bargain price!

This was going to be a "one time visit" for me to say I participated but I am definitely coming back.

ChrisK

Last edited:
This was a really enjoyable match. Slight uphill shots, steep downhill shots into a creek bottom, shots between trees, up into trees and the ever need to wiggle around the shooting platforms to miss those pesky oak branches with leaves in the line of fire. Wayne and his team set up a great match course as well as sight in course and did what they could to make participants comfortable in the 100+ degree heat (ugh!). Lots of participants including a family of deer that wandered through the oaks among some targets putting a halt to shooting until they could be persuaded to vacate.

I was fortunate to squad with Wayne himself on day two. He is a hoot to shoot with and even just be around!

And lets not forget a special thanks to Julie and her supporters who braved the heat in front of the grills to cook bacon, eggs, sausages, hamburgers and other fine food for breakfast and lunch both days. You kept us fueled!

Oh yes, there are things to BUY there. Airguns, scopes, pellets, shirts.........so come prepared to go home with more than a sun tan and a medal. A beautiful little NOS Beeman R7 followed me home for a bargain price!

This was going to be a "one time visit" for me to say I participated but I am definitely coming back.

ChrisK
Mr. R1
I heard now that you have a taste of victory at these larger FT competitions, that you might be attending the California State Championship September 22 to “kick some butts”

• Haha
Reactions: qball and r1lover

ChrisK
Chris,
We had a really fun back and forth match day two. I love that stuff! I really feel good when there is a crowd close to the top... but no one cleans it:)

You are a great competitor to shoot with and... but... I was trying to figure out what pain I can cause Scott Schneider for coaching you so well.. but Karma worked it out for me ahead of time and Scott had equipment issues on the last lanes of day two.. making room for Chris and I to battle for second and third.

Well earned Chris! 45/51 and 46/51 (in the group of high score ties for day two) for your first AAFTA GP! especially on this challenging course.

Hope to see ya soon,
Wayne

Here is the match report

Match Report 2023 Oregon State AAFTA Grand Prix July 14-16th

31 competitors traveled from TX, NV, WA, CA and Oregon. We had 35% humidity, 100 degrees on Sat. and 95 on Sunday with clear skies and gentle winds 1-3 mph that began about 9am each day. No wind factor was used for the Troyer rating.

The Friday Pistol course had 20 targets with 2 shots each. It had a 34.35 Troyer with a Std Dev of 4.74. The average distance was 23.9 and Kill Zone of 1.125”. Four of the 40 shots were offhand.

Saturdays’ Rifle course had 51 targets with 1 shot each. We had 17 lanes with three targets per lane. 27 targets were farther than 40 yards, and 10 were past 50 with the average distance being 35.6 yards. STD Dev. was 5.88 with an average kill zone of 1.125 “

When AAFTA GP Clubs shoot one shot per target on at least a 50 target course on day one, AAFTA allows GP clubs to shoot the same course on day two… and that’s what we did. It’s a lot harder.. just give it a try sometimeJ

Randy and I worked hard and long to make a course the WFTF competitors might like for practicing the Worlds in Phoenix in 2024. We got many thankyous for it too. We also created a new 10 lane pistol course in the shade of a line of oaks by the irrigation canal. We also set up an all new sight in line large enough for 20 competitors at a time.

We started the Friday Pistol & Basic Break Barrel match about 3pm. 14 competed in the Pistol match, 2 in the Limited class, and 12 shot in the Hunter class. 4 shot the Basic Break Barrel match.

Jason Blackburn won the BBB class, (14/40) with a HW95 with a Hawk scope, shooting the 10.34 JSB at 770fps. He shot the whole pistol course offhand! Second place was Vince Pacheco with 8/40 and Jim Poh with 4/40, Allen Heggem a 3/40. They also shot most lanes kneeling or standing just for fun.

In Friday’s Pistol Match, Wayne Burns shot a 38/40 in Hunter PCP Pistol for first place using his custom LD built USFT with a Athlon Heras scope and 10.34 AA at 705 fps, Scott Schneider shot a 36 for 2nd with his custom BSA, Hawke scope, and 10.34 at 710fps, and Randy Ebersole shot a 33 for 3rd using another custom LD USFT pistol, 3-12 UTG scope and 10.34 @ 695fps. The Limited class was won by Cameron Kerndt with a 34/40 shooting his new RAW HM1000 micro with a Hawke 3-12 and 10.34 @ 704fps and Scott Hull was second with a 30/40 with his custom marauder pistol, Ayin scope and FX 10.34 @ 720fps.

Saturday morning Julie Taylor cooked up some pancakes, bacon and eggs for the campers and early arrivers. It was getting warm already in the sun at 9:30 after the shooters meeting, when we started the Saturdays’ Rifle match. Wind was only a small factor on a few of the longer shots as the match progressed, but it was enough to make the competitors wonder a bit. We had 17 lanes to spread out the 15 two person squads, (one squad had three), which I started on lane one, leaving lanes 16 and 17 open, allowing space for the two person squads before they caught up with the squad of 3. The targets work really well, and we finished up about 1:00.

Jim Whittlesey blistered the course with the high score of the day at 49/51 in Open PCP class, but just as hot, was Cameron Kerndt in WFTF PISTON class, he shot an amazing 48/51! David Alsup in WFTF PCP and Randy Ebersole in Hunter PCP shot 3rd highest score day one with a 47/51.

Hunter PCP class was crowded with 15 competitors. Randy Ebersole’s 47/51 led, but Scott Schneider was only one behind with a 46/51, new shooter Chris Krettecos shot a 45, Wayne Burns 44, Scott Hull, Jason Blackburn and John Knapp at 43 and Timothy Robison at 42/51…Lots of competitors in the “hunt”.. It could all change on day two, as it often does.

In WFTF PCP class David Alsup’s 47/51 had a comfortable, but not secure lead over Lonnie Smith with a 44/51

In Western Freestyle class Saturday, Walter Hoppe shot a 34/51 and Alan Stovall shot a 30/51.

Cameron Kerndt had a dominant lead in the Combined Piston class with his 48/51

Sunday morning, again Julie had a great hearty breakfast available for any hungry steel critter hunters up and about.

Jim Whittlesey and Chris Merritt’s were the only competitors in Open on Day two, because Joe Korick and Mike Millar had to go home early because Joe wasn’t feeling well. And after shooting one of the highest scores on day one, David Alsup strained his back and he too had to drop out for day two.

But in Open class, Chris and Jim still had a great head to head match with Jim shooting a 45/51 and Chris a 44/51, so Jim Whittlesey easily won the Open class and barely held onto the high overall match score with a 94/102 by one point over Randy Ebersole who shot a 46/51 for a 93/102 to win the Hunter Class PCP.

Chris Krettecos, and I had a great match Sunday too, we both shot a 46/51, but Chris had me by one from day one to secure second place Hunter PCP, a great performance for his first AAFTA GP match. Credit Scott Schneider’s great coaching for creating this rising star. I’ll let you know when I figure out how to pay him back for bringing up another top competitor to push out us old guysJ

46/51 was the high score for day two and it was also shot by WFTF PCP winner Lonnie Smith who ended with a great 90/102 with Chang Hu and Pat Callahan finishing up 2nd & 3rd.

Sunday in Freestyle class, Bud Hoppe shot a 40/51 to take 1st in Western Freestyle class and Cameron Kerndt also shot a 40/51 to easily hold on to Combined Piston classes first place prize.

And speaking of prizes, AirGun Oregon, provided, as well as the normal ribbons/metals… with the support of our vendors listed below, $100, $75, and $50 gift certificates for the winners.

There are lots of people to thank for helping to host the match, but Randy Ebersole has to head the list. He started months ago working on the new pistol and sight in courses, and getting targets ready. Julie and Darren Taylor came early and helped with course & food preparation too. Casey & Eric McCormick took video & hundreds of pictures that we will be editing through and hopefully made available soon.

Wayne Burns

Match Director

2023 Oregon State & AAFTA Grand Prix Championships