Ordered my first lathe. Any recommendations for gear/add ons?

Exactly, if you don't learn to sharpen HSS you'll never use your lathe to it's potential. I've operated a lathe over 50 years. On my light lathe I never even use carbide. I don't normally need it for anything. HSS works better. It's cool making your own tooling too.
I think Blondihacks is your best bet for a beginner's youtube teacher. Quinn is a really sharp girl. Gets right to the point unlike "This old Baloney". Joe Pie is excellent once you have more understanding. MrPete222 was a shop teacher. Also great for newbs.

I bought a cheap 8x16 mini lathe off of ebay with the end goal of learning to make my own guides, pistons, sleeves, moderators, etc. Basically anything that a lathe can handle. Does anyone with experience have any recommendations on where to start with learning this thing or what else I should could concider getting to make this easier. Thanks in advance!
been doing machine work for 35 years.. one piece of advice, especially if you are using anything that doesn't work harden.. slow is better than fast.. light cuts until you get familiar with your machine.. I've ran 4 different lathes and they were all different.. I'd recommend getting some cold roll steel and practice turning down, feed rates, threading, assuming you have a gear head lathe.. boring.. I prefer carbide inserts, most of mine have 3-6 edges on each insert and one insert will last a long time.. unless you use hardened steel or stainless steel is very hard.. aluminum and brass is fun to work.. aluminum is tricky to tap thread though..
just get some cold roll steel and practice and play.. you will find it easy to learn, if you actually enjoy it.. myself the best fun I could have was to turn on the mig welder and weld after breakfast until lunch then repeat and it was disappointing to have to call it a day.. I tell everyone who is looking at some type of work.. pay is just a bonus for having fun on the job

Reactions: bf1956
Ditto.

Got my first metal fabricating education in 1987 after a 3.5 year apprenticeship.

A "big" lathe can kill you, a small hobby one i assume can also still take a serious bite off you.

Dont touch shavings while the lathe spin, they are like rope razor blades and will lay bare your bone in a heartbeat

I assume you will only use HS bits, i dont think a hobby grade machine can push the big boy cutting tools,,,,, HS is also fine i often used it as you dont have as big a cutting pressure and so can lathe thinner long things.

Biggest lathe i ever operated had train wheels in it, thats 4-5 foot diameter, biggest grind i ever did,,,, okay helped with was train engine crankshafts.

Still peanuts compared to the ship engine crankshafts i have been standing on / crawled / walked around below, you look up and think " no wonder this SOB top out at 95 RPM "
I mostly use carbide inserts on my 12x36.. just take it slow and easy to start with.. like he said above.. keep your hands clear of all moving parts.. ..

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
This is the finish I get on mild steel with properly ground HSS. Not even touched by any abrasive. The slitting saw arbor is made from scrap steel. Silky smooth. The two threaded parts are single pointed with hand ground bits. Last picture is a close up of the Acme thread I cut with a hand ground form bit. I only used a piece of 400 grit to debur the edges. It's an Acme feed screw when assembled has only .002 backlash.
One HSS tool bit blank has 1000 edges. HSS can finish Stainless almost like a mirror. No need to polish. Aluminum and brass are child's play.
IMG_2816.jpg
IMG_2823.jpg
IMG_2990.jpg
IMG_3727.jpg
IMG_3726.jpg
IMG_3724.jpg
IMG_2815.jpg

Took me years to find a lathe this good. Was modified for a factory use then put on a shelf and stored for many years unused. I saw a diamond in the rough and bought it at auction for about $200. All of the ways were barely touched. Has very rare for a South Bend 9a hardened 3 ft. bed. Took some work, parts, and custom matched original color paint. The original tailstock was missing but I found it and bought it separately at the auction. I almost missed it.

Last picture is my 4ft South Bend 9a made in 1947
IMG_2712(1).jpg
IMG_3567(1).jpg
IMG_1128.JPG

It’s amazing how much can be done with traditional equipment. That said, I am disappointed that more isn’t being done today in the Airgun space given how much more affordable self manufacturing has become. We have 3D modeling, CNC mills and 3D printers now but much of the design skill that was prevalent in the USA years past is disappearing and most of what I see is people making phone holders/stands or figurines. I’m sure there are some folks out there pushing the envelope but not as many as I would expect…

Edit - I’m thinking of springers not necessarily PCPs.

-Marty

I just scored these for my lathes and metal shapers. Most won't know what they're for or what they're worth. The Armstrong 39 shaper planer tool holder often sells for $200. The Armstrong S 50 spring tool holder is worth about 70-80$. I'll resell the other 4.
Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 14-10-35 Atlas 10 Lathe Lantern Tool Post Style Tools eBay.png

Most folks not intimately involved in the machine tool industry have no idea on the level of investment required in tools and machines to make things. Nor do they understand the expected lifetime of a machine tool assuming no neglect. For manual tools like lathes, milling machines, grinders and shapers, it is about 100 years. When it comes to CNC stuff, 15 to 20 years at most. The reason being is that software support and electronic parts availability will be exhausted.in that time frame..

Further, it is very hard, if not impossible, to amortize the cost of CNC for either a hobby or one off requirements. It is also a fact that the machines themselves reflect only 50% at best of the total investment required for the ability to make parts. I have only spoken about the financial investment, but the time investment to acquire the required skill set is a lifetime. These skills are no longer being taught like they once were in schools and will soon be lost to the ages. Young people appear to have little interest. Most want to sit behind a desk and never get their hands dirty. It is a shame.

For learning and practicing... Can't beat HSS tooling... EZ to maintain a good cutting edge...
Once you get over that learning curve, Indexable Carbide tooling is hard to Beat!!!
But I still will fall back to HSS tooling for certain jobs......
I have my own machine shop. I hesitate to call it a hobby shop, because it gives the wrong impression, but I am generally the only customer. I state it this way because I have multiple lathes, mills, grinders, shapers etc. I have a simple rule. Make only those items you cannot buy, because, if you can, it is always cheaper.

When it comes to tooling, HSS is much less expensive, than insert carbide tooling. I have many cutters that are well over 30 years old and still going strong. Carbide tooling requires lower relief angles, blunter nose radiuses and higher cutting speed than HSS. All of that requires higher machine stiffness and horsepower usually not found in small hobby size lathes. Then there is HSS, which consists of a broad range of alloys and brands. They are not equal in performance, because over the years, like everything else, many improvements have occurred. I restrict HSS tools to cobalt alloys, like T15, M35 and M42. There are others as well, but generally they all have between 5% and 10% cobalt. These alloys take longer to sharper, are much more shock resistant and keep an edge better. In a commercial production based application, insert tooling is king. ......time is money. In a one off prototype environment HSS is king. The downside to HSS is it requires an investment in tool grinding skills and equipment.

Reactions: markhooper
It’s amazing how much can be done with traditional equipment. That said, I am disappointed that more isn’t being done today in the Airgun space given how much more affordable self manufacturing has become. We have 3D modeling, CNC mills and 3D printers now but much of the design skill that was prevalent in the USA years past is disappearing and most of what I see is people making phone holders/stands or figurines. I’m sure there are some folks out there pushing the envelope but not as many as I would expect…

Edit - I’m thinking of springers not necessarily PCPs.

-Marty
I can use a lathe, mill, press, and grinder and welder.. always wanted to get a plasma table for cnc plasma cutting.. but the computer part is over my head not to mention the price.. I used to build hydraulic sliding axle gooseneck trailer, one a month for nut harvesters and the plasma table would probably have saved time, but it was a step I was not comfortable with, so I just carried on by hand.. done it over 35 years.. it's sad that none of the younger people want to work.. had a kid (20years old) in the shop. and I could grind all the welds and polish it in a hour.. took him all day and I couldn't tell he did anything..got tired of trying to find something that he would do without babysitting him..
This is the finish I get on mild steel with properly ground HSS. Not even touched by any abrasive. The slitting saw arbor is made from scrap steel. Silky smooth. The two threaded parts are single pointed with hand ground bits. Last picture is a close up of the Acme thread I cut with a hand ground form bit. I only used a piece of 400 grit to debur the edges. It's an Acme feed screw when assembled has only .002 backlash.
One HSS tool bit blank has 1000 edges. HSS can finish Stainless almost like a mirror. No need to polish. Aluminum and brass are child's play.
View attachment 353207View attachment 353209View attachment 353211View attachment 353212View attachment 353214View attachment 353215View attachment 353219
nice work.. but it doesn't seem to matter to me if it's scrap or new.. you always machine off any imperfections anyway.. only time scrap steel makes a difference is if you are trying to Tig weld.. that has to be perfectly clean.
Mark

Took me years to find a lathe this good. Was modified for a factory use then put on a shelf and stored for many years unused. I saw a diamond in the rough and bought it at auction for about $200. All of the ways were barely touched. Has very rare for a South Bend 9a hardened 3 ft. bed. Took some work, parts, and custom matched original color paint. The original tailstock was missing but I found it and bought it separately at the auction. I almost missed it.

Last picture is my 4ft South Bend 9a made in 1947
View attachment 353224View attachment 353226View attachment 353225
There are lathes, then there is South Bend.

Here's a brand new one for sale in Southeast PA

Sadly two things are stopping me, my skill set on a lathe is pretty miserable and I'm still not sure I have a concrete floor in my garage, haven't seen it in almost 20 years.

Reactions: dgeesaman