• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Options for barrel bore polishing

Hi guys. Im looking into any metal polishing compound that i can possibly use for my newly installed lothar walther blank barrel. I would like to know which polishing product i can use to polish the bore so as so fasten the break in period of the barrel and hopefully get more accuracy after doing the polishing. What would be also the proper way of polishing a barrel's bore? 

Thanks

Take this with a grain of salt, as I've never personally fire-lapped an airgun barrel, however that abrasive-laden slug will have to pass through your breech seal o-ring on many guns and may leave or worse embed abrasive in it. So be sure to clean that o-ring thoroughly if you're going to fire-lap your barrel, not just when you're done, but between every grit you try. 

I have had exceptionally good experiences with JB Bore Paste with a cleaning rod/patch, just as a side note. Can't speak for fire lapping in airguns. :) 

Have done several PBers and airguns. Use JB or Flitz. Turn gun upside down put cotton pellet in, then cotton swab on rod, put a good amount on swab, 100 stokes full barrel length. Then use pull through with barrel cleaner. Did this a couple months ago with flitz in a LW barrel and it cut the group size in half, this was a relatively new barrel. OH shoot the cotton pellet out after the polishing. The pellet keeps crude out of the transfer port and protects the breech Oring. Flits I think is a less agessive polish than JB.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I've never personally fire-lapped an airgun barrel, however that abrasive-laden slug will have to pass through your breech seal o-ring on many guns and may leave or worse embed abrasive in it. So be sure to clean that o-ring thoroughly if you're going to fire-lap your barrel, not just when you're done, but between every grit you try. 

I have had exceptionally good experiences with JB Bore Paste with a cleaning rod/patch, just as a side note. Can't speak for fire lapping in airguns. :)

STO as usual giving good advice ;) . I have done it and no problems, but I have lots of spare o rings for changing that, super easy. :D

I had posted this recently in another thread and it’s relevant here so I’ll copy/paste with minor edits...

I like to use a good ball-bearing rod so the patches will follow the rifling. Some folks don't worry too much about it. A jag with cotton T-shirt or flannel material works well, apply some light oil and fine friable abrasive (e.g J-B bore compound, Flitz polish, or rottenstone). Work from the breech end so as to avoid raking the rod across the crown. Apply more strokes to that end and progressively fewer out near the muzzle, and try not to push the patch all the way out. I clamp a block in place so I don't have to worry about it). 

For a typical barrel, I'll apply about 100 strokes near the breech and about 30 near the muzzle, loading a new patch and abrasive every 15-20 strokes.

If the barrel is known to foul quickly, I will double it.

Fire lapping is an alternative that has been mentioned above. The upsides are that it can be done with the barrel installed and you don’t need a rod. The downside is that it is slow and tedious by comparison but if the bore has a pretty high quality finish to begin with, it’s a viable option.

This is kinda a Cliff's Notes version. If you want to read more, please refer to this accurizing guide:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=130555

STO as usual giving good advice ;) . I have done it and no problems, but I have lots of spare o rings for changing that, super easy. :D

Thank you. :) I do my best.