optimum slug diameter for HW45 in 0.22

thanks, i'll go ahead and get a micrometer reading of a slugged barrel (while trying a few commercial brands to get an idea of common diameters).

I guess I have the idea that if i can use wadcutters in this firearm in 0.177, not diablo shaped but full wadcutter shape and style (tiny little trash cans), i should be able to shoot a slug (or i guess it could be considered, in this case, a wadcutter with a nose. I just wanted to see if someone had knowledge of the diameter before starting.

Thanks

You could just throw the slug, it would probably fly farther that way. And be more accurate. 

But knowing Weihrauch, the barrel is probably bigger than most any other .22 you will come across. But the choke will be very tight, and your slugs won't like this.

Also keep in mind that the spring piston powerplant won't be too happy if you start stuffing 30gr projectiles down it.

Further, Sheridan made trashcan shaped pellets for years and the consensus is that they almost always shot terrible. There's a pretty valid reason why pellets are shaped the way they are, and they all look pretty similar. At low velocity, something drag stabilized and "pellet shaped" will shoot much better.

I can tell you that the HW45 compression ratio does favour .22 and will shoot with a softer cycle than the .177 , but it requires a soft skirt pellet for an easy start into the rifling and quickly sealing out to the bore under the pressure of the air. The pellet that does this best is the RWS Hobby....no need of pellet swaging if you select this pellet. 

The 45 requires piston weighting to drive through the restrictive TP to get power. Forget tuning kits which utilise plastic Top hats therefore, as they will turn the pistol into a benign 4.5ftlbs of its former 6ftlbs self. Learn to shoot it with the guide rod weight in the piston if you want the power.

In reverse thinking, a small Delrin Top hat at the muzzle end, will curtail the unguided end of the mainspring, but you will need to remove 1/2 inch of the length from the main guide rod to allow this to fit. To combat the small loss of weight to this guide for trimming it this way, I re- made the guide out of solid steel, if anything gaining some weight over the stock guide, despite it being 1/2 inch shorter and picked up additional power, while removing the spring resonance at the other end. Forget what anyone tells you, or tries to sell you. This is the correct method to tune this gun.

Yea, per Odoyle -

Even the larger .22's won't go threw the Beeman P1 (same basic gun as the HW45) very well.

Plus at low 400 fps, it doesn't seem that that would be nearly fast enough to put a slug out there very accurately or very far.

Mike

P.S. - svo, a pellet is, a pellet. A slug is much heavier, looks and weighs more like a bullet for use in a rimfire or centerfire gun.

Yea, per Odoyle -

Even the larger .22's won't go threw the Beeman P1 (same basic gun as the HW45) very well.

Plus at low 400 fps, it doesn't seem that that would be nearly fast enough to put a slug out there very accurately or very far.

Mike

P.S. - svo, a pellet is, a pellet. A slug is much heavier, looks and weighs more like a bullet for use in a rimfire or centerfire gun.

What he says.....

.22 in pistols is usually looking at approx 400 fps at best, and significantly less in SSP pistols. This means quite a looped trajectory..

Here is a perfect example from my own experiments like for like...

My tuned LP53 runs approx 515 fps in .177 (lets say 500 fps) The .22 version I did, runs almost 400 fps......The .177 zeroed in at 6 yards, will still shoot to the point of aim at 15 yds. (my normal maximum range i use the gun for targets, and pests.....At 18 yds the pellets start dropping below the zero and by 20 yards are striking a good 1/2 inch low. Still predictable, but you can can see the rapid tail off starting to set in. At 30 yards pellets are striking a good inch, or so low and at 35 yds I have lost the ability to repeatably make hits due to trying to judge the 2 inches or so of hold over...Realistically, the 500 fps .177 is a 20 yds gun max with a touch of holdover......Forget other shooters fantastical claims...this is the reality at springer power levels....

Now consider the .22 at 400 fps....Ok a great little rat buster at 10 yds, but if zeroed at the same 6yards, it will not be able to shoot to the same 15 yds point of aim as above...but will have dropped the target by a full inch...The 20 yds will be at least 2 inches low and the 30 yds is starting to get something of a best guess...

There is one proviso...The 45 can be set up to hit 460 fps with .22 Hobbys...but sadly for me, hovering too close to the limit I am allowed here...You can enjoy that ....but you need a heavy piston weight to do it...