• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Optimal weight for an FT rig?

I shoot FT hunter class. Last year with a Huntsman Revere/Sidewinder; this year with a Redwolf/ E.O. Titan 3-18. The Revere didn't fit me well. The Redwolf fits but it's an unwieldy 10.9lbs offhand for me so I'm trying something unorthodox. I'm setting up a new Impact M3 with a Sightron S-Tac at only 8.7lbs. It's allowing me to use a heavier Pellet and it's a dream offhand but light on my sticks. I'm using a bottle clamp to jam it against my sticks to steady it and so far its working. Does anyone know if it's AAFTA legal to have a weight onboard but remove it in the offhand lanes?

Reactions: cavedweller
Check out the AAFTA rules for Hunter Class under the paragraph for Equipment. It states that no equipment may be added or removed, except for a sling, during the match. I would expect an additional weight attached to the gun in some manner would be disallowed under this section.
Agreed

Reactions: Motorhead
I shoot FT hunter class. Last year with a Huntsman Revere/Sidewinder; this year with a Redwolf/ E.O. Titan 3-18. The Revere didn't fit me well. The Redwolf fits but it's an unwieldy 10.9lbs offhand for me so I'm trying something unorthodox. I'm setting up a new Impact M3 with a Sightron S-Tac at only 8.7lbs. It's allowing me to use a heavier Pellet and it's a dream offhand but light on my sticks. I'm using a bottle clamp to jam it against my sticks to steady it and so far its working. Does anyone know if it's AAFTA legal to have a weight onboard but remove it in the offhand lanes?
That’s a great idea - can’t wait to hear if your kill rate goes up

Reactions: AirGoon
Currently run a 350cc carbon on my RAW, previous for many years a 200cc off a BSA R10 was fitted. BOTH weigh about the same.

DSCF0715.JPG

l.jpg

Reactions: cavedweller
CALM nerves, controlled breathing, steady miens of support RULES THE DAY in field Target.
Many years back my son, who was 15 at the time was shooting a custom HW77 in an Anderson custom stock that won the very first ever Canadian National Field Target match!! That springer weighed 17 lbs total. Does this mean the heavier rifle will be the winner ?? What can you handle ?
Youth has much of the required on there side .. minus experience in most cases ;)

Weight for some, Less weight for others .... High scope for some, Low scope for others .... Sitting on the Ground, on a Bag, On a stool or Bucket ... shooting a Springer or PCP are all choices we make for choosing a FT class. All the above choices still need to get figured out in being able to be steady and hold a solid POA each and every shot no matter the flatness of the ground, angle of the shot or winds present. Only when you do all those things better than the others do you have a chance to be a champion in a major competition. Yea bit of luck helps too :unsure:

Fact is...weight will steady motion....once the weight has become steady, it is more likely to stay that way. Light weight takes less force to make it move, so it becomes more difficult to hold steady. Once the muscles begin to fatigue, everything moves, so....if you can handle the extra weight, it will become your friend in a rifle.