• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Optics: Why is it such a subjective topic?

Optics are such a subjective topic for many reasons as we know. I wanted to open this up as a safe place to share what the parameters we contemplated before “laying down the cash $$” for our next Optic purchase, regardless of price, <$100 />$3000, whatever...Details, details, details 😉

This is NOT a “brand” conversation so please refrain, as it will muddy the conversation. This is a personal experience explanation of “why” you purchase the particular optics you do, at the price point you did. Country of design/origin is permitted.

Patrick
I’ve had glasses since 2nd grade so my eyesight has never been very good. While growing up I had a 3-9 on my 22-250 (jack of all trades as my only rifle) and shot a lot of woodchucks. I always wanted and needed more magnification but I couldn’t afford a larger one (12 -18 years old). I would have loved the 6x24 FFP I just put on my new Impact, wow that would have been awesome!

I’m not stuck at all on brand and won’t spend for the expensive stuff. I love the saying from “The Patriot” when the father tell his kids “aim small miss small”. Lots of magnification lets me aim as small as I can.

The best way to “see” how crappy your cheap scope is…. Try the One hole group challenge rsfrid put out on Target Shooting Challenges. I have an ultra cheap 6x24 on my Benjamin Marauder and at 8 yards I feel like the double vision I had over the summer is coming back. Poor light, poor clarity just bad sight picture! I really need to mount a different one.