• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Optics Planet , Long wait & they lie

I ordered a night vision binoculars took three months to get them , Sent them back took two months to get my credit,,, I will just order instock targets , Very careful look through all targets that are in stock, Place my order and make sure its going to ship next day, Yes order in pay the rest with PayPal , Get my order number,,, Next day today get a notice that due to high demand order has been delayed for up to a week... Sorry Optics NEVER will you get my money again pulling crap like this,,,

What pisses me off is I made sure everything was in stock and made sure everything would ship out the next day, I make payment with my pay pal, They send me a receipt,, Everything is ready to go... 

Then I get this Email that it will be 7 to 14 days before shipping because they are busy ,, WTF

Mike

Yes I quit them a year or so ago. Ordered a scope from them (in stock and ships out straight away). Then it suddenly is out of stock. 4 to 6 weeks expected restock. I said just refund my money. They told me it would be 2 to 4 weeks for a refund to my card. I told them Nope it will be 2 days Max otherwise I call the CC company and report them for fraud (know your rights as a card holder!). They gave me the run around about batch processing and fees and BS (I ran a web based store for 16 years as an office manager so I know how Credit Card business works). After talking with the CS manager for 30 minutes and losing my cool I got my refund that same day. Never even consider them anymore. Very poor business model as I'm pretty confident they are nothing more then a drop ship business that never actually has anything in stock or even a warehouse,

I have dealt with Optics Planet a few times this year. One of my orders took about three weeks to get to me. At the time most of the companies I purchased air gun related gear from were backed up, as were courier services. Additionally, there were a couple of crazy weather episodes. The explanation I got from customer service was that they were coming off a busy holiday season. It sounded like BS at first, but all subsequent orders arrived in under a week’s time. I also received good customer service over the phone, via email, and chat. I’ve gotten a discount on an item that was previously on sale the week before.

My main issue with Optics Planet has been their tax rate. It seems to me that by default they charge an 8% sales tax. I’m in Texas and our state sales tax rate is rate is 6.25%. They aren’t the only company that I’ve shopped with that does this; here’s a thread that discuss the issue in further detail https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/calculate-your-sales-tax-before-checkout-when-ordering-online/?view=all#post-953378. Each time I’ve made a purchase I’ve contacted them and requested that they refund difference from being over taxed. And each time they have refunded my money without fail or difficulty. I’ve asked them, how we can avoid this issue in the future? For now they’ve instructed me to make a note in the “order note” box at checkout. I think it’s safe to assume that I’ll need to follow up with them until they can tweak their system so that it adjusts the tax rate to their customer’s billing address at checkout. I have suggested this to them, but I realize that making changes to a site can take time and cost money. Everything I’ve received from them was in good shape. Most of it was on sale or discounted so if some of it had been lightly used, no big deal. They’ve treated me well. 

Reactions: ThomasT
When I was new to owning my own firearms, I used Opticsplanet to see what was available, and make some purchases. Mostly they lived up to my expectations. At some point I got tired of all their "export restricted" items, as these items can be sold in Canada, but usually they need to be sold in Canada by a dedicated reseller. So I eventually migrated to more semi-local gun shops, once I found out where in Canada I could purchase.

So I view Opticsplanet as a bit like the Google or Amazon of gun accessories. Try to avoid it, but especially when you are a beginner, and don't entirely know what you are doing, it's great to have all that information in one place.

Well, I must have won the lottery because I have always received great service and speedy shipping. In fact I just got a March hi master scope from them with a great discount. I messaged them and they shipped it a couple days later. DVOR typically can take a while but every item listed tells you up front how long before shipping. Sorry so many have had trouble, but I'm a happy customer, so far (after many many years of purchases.)

Reactions: Str8tshooter
I have ordered about 20 or so scopes with them mostly from 2019 era , the thing about them which I used to love is very very huge discounts , One phone call and would save 30 % or more ,but they are a big putfit and deal with other names sell from site along with ebay and other places , I bet sometimes they sold instock items on a different platform and it did not show up when u orders LOU

I have heard this about optics planet and why I will never order from them. I have heard many stories of the “in stock” items that in turn are in fact out of stock. I have also read that optics planet will create the tracking number right away which makes it so the buyer cannot cancel the order even though it is only in pre shipment phase and hasn’t actually shipped.

Reactions: Blankshot17
I have heard this about optics planet and why I will never order from them. I have heard many stories of the “in stock” items that in turn are in fact out of stock. I have also read that optics planet will create the tracking number right away which makes it so the buyer cannot cancel the order even though it is only in pre shipment phase and hasn’t actually shipped.

They've let me cancel orders, and for a few reasons.

1) They sold me an item they did not have a license to export to Canada.

2) Another item was on a very long backorder.

While my experiences with Opticsplanet haven't all been positive, I'd say it's been more positive than negative.

I’ve looked up the company and found that it is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but they do have a pattern of complaints. The following excerpt was copied from the BBB site in regards to Optics Planet.

“BBB files indicate that this business has a pattern of complaints concerning delivery issues, product issues, and refund/exchange issues.”

For more information read here:

I’ve had several orders with Optics Planet over the years, so far I have not had any issues with them. Everything that I’ve ordered was always shipped fast to me & well packaged.
Their sister site DVOR on the other hand does take longer to get items shipped. I ordered few smaller items back in November, still haven’t got them yet.

Reactions: rsfrid
I ordered a night vision binoculars took three months to get them , Sent them back took two months to get my credit,,, I will just order instock targets , Very careful look through all targets that are in stock, Place my order and make sure its going to ship next day, Yes order in pay the rest with PayPal , Get my order number,,, Next day today get a notice that due to high demand order has been delayed for up to a week... Sorry Optics NEVER will you get my money again pulling crap like this,,,
I have had a similar experience