• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Optics for the hw44

I'm curious!
How do you know you're centered (parallax free) at 45 yards when your scopes parallax is set at 100 yards? Without using a ghost ring?
Bob your head slight left and right/up, down. Do your best to center. Won't always be perfect but should be 95% of the way there. Which is plenty good for any shooting I do.

I will also use pistol scopes sometimes in carbine format. Results in a massive ghost ring and no field of vision. But if you're good at pointing the gun where the target is, target acquisition is still quick. No loss in accuracy. Don't have to swap sights or rezero anything.

I have several pistols that randomly get converted to and from carbines.

I got the .22, so what do you recommend ? I forgot what Steve Sciali recommended, too.
I would try the .22 H&N Field Target Trophies 552 head size. Also, try the .22 H&N terminators in any head size. The .177 terminators are my go to pistol pellet. Whacks cans with authority out to 30 yards, great pellet to try. I suggest keeping the pellet around 14 grains for a good starting point.

Reactions: mb94952
I like leupold pistol scopes, and the HW44 is nice enough to warrant one. I grew up hunting with revolvers and T/C single shots, and we normally ran a fixed 2 or 4 power scope. Burris fixed power scopes have done good for us too. The Thompson Center line of variable power scopes worked good too but parallax issues become more apparent. With enough practice the crosshairs lock into where they’re supposed to be automatically.
They all take practice to master but it can be done fairly easily.
Not throwing shade but it’s always seemed goofy to me to run a rifle scope on a pistol when you’re not competing. If that’s what you like that’s awesome just not for me. We used pistols because it was more of a challenge and me and dad love big bore revolvers. With the taco hold and a good variable power rifle scope a pistol just becomes a slightly less effective rifle. I have a fixed 2x leupold on my PP700 and head shots on squirrels out to 25 yards are no problem.

Beau