Optics Advice for Prod

Good afternoon everyone.

My Prod seems to be my daily go-to for my iguana problem. Its a great shooter and tuned to about 740 fps. Light weight and quiet. Usually shooting 15~30 yds. I have a inexpensive UTG 3x9x40 on it and shooting from a bench it does ok but I struggle with it from a standing position. Front parallax adjustment I hate and targets just arent very clear. Id like to stay with the smaller 1'' tube (not a deal breaker) but I do need the magnification for head shots. Iguanas are tough to kill and I do my best to take them out with a head shot. Id like to put a better optic on it. I honestly do not know what a better scope will provide as Im relatively new to all this. Id like to hear your advice on something in the <$400 range. If it can help me see my target better with less fuss than itll be worth the cost..

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Have you thought about a Red-dot?..I use the Bug Buster on my carbine Prod and a Burris 3-7x32 on my P rod pistol...

Try to get the Leopold pistol scope...I know more light in helps me,so I want a bigger bell ,32 mm helps me. AO ,most are front mounted,

Even on my non AO lens I have no problem when things are out past 20 or so yard.

Another thing I have found out, especially on my Nikon variable pistol scope,things look sharper if I keep it under 5 power.

Cheaper variable power scope,Simmons and Nc-star...I think it is...under$100...

I f you are free handed shooting you do not want higher power,nothing over 4x....well that goes for me,as staying on target and shaking can become a twitch.

Hello If you are happy with the UTG except for the front focus/ AO they do make a Bugbuster model with a side parallax adjustment for under $150. AS for a 1-6 LPVO I have a Meopta Optika6 1-6 which I love But it has a fixed parallax at 100yds you can use the eye cup to focus but not as good as a true adjustable parallax. On 1x its as good as some of the best red dots but on 6x not as clear under 50 yds.(its great glass but does better over 50 yds).Athlon Helos BTR 1-4.5 has an adjustable side parallax and may fit the bill but its just under $400 AND it only goes to 4.5x I don't know if that is enough magnification for you. I wish there was a scope with some of the March options at a mid price point because they have every thing you would want but at a price. Hope this helps Eric

Have you thought about a Red-dot?..I use the Bug Buster on my carbine Prod and a Burris 3-7x32 on my P rod pistol...

Try to get the Leopold pistol scope...I know more light in helps me,so I want a bigger bell ,32 mm helps me. AO ,most are front mounted,

Even on my non AO lens I have no problem when things are out past 20 or so yard.

Another thing I have found out, especially on my Nikon variable pistol scope,things look sharper if I keep it under 5 power.

Cheaper variable power scope,Simmons and Nc-star...I think it is...under$100...

I f you are free handed shooting you do not want higher power,nothing over 4x....well that goes for me,as staying on target and shaking can become a twitch.

I do have a red dot I can use but for some reason, Im convinced I need a ton of magnification. I have a Vortex I can try..

The Hawke Vantage 2x7x32 is probly the best $100-150 scope you will find out there and has that wonderful reticle as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Hawke-Sport-Optics-Vantage-Riflescope/dp/B00WN2669C

The Vector Optics Veyron and Discovery VT-3 scopes are both compact and lighter weight scopes in 3x12x44 with 30mm tubes. They are both decent for the money around $200 and both Mil/Mil scopes so none of that funky Hawke Mil/MOA stuff going on. So there is some give and take between the two and I like them both for what they are.

If you are going for an FFP the Veyron has a pretty thin reticle and it can get lost in a dark background at lower magnification. But it does focus down to 7 yards at full 12 power so that is not often a problem. It weighs in at 17.6oz and has a nice Mil Hash reticle. It is available in a 2nd focal plane scope as well.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vector-optics-veyron-3-12x44mm-rifle-scope.html

The Discovery will just barely focus to 10 yards if you turn the power down to 6 but it has a thicker reticle that is easier to pick up at lower magnification so it is not a problem either. It weighs in at 18.3oz and has a nice Mil Quad reticle. These are also available in 1st or 2nd focal plane.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000120149525.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.f9303d1dQzbaBT&algo_pvid=1af8c302-8873-4ad4-8c65-54cc14f64e57&algo_exp_id=1af8c302-8873-4ad4-8c65-54cc14f64e57-5

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001994490826.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.f9303d1dQzbaBT&algo_pvid=1af8c302-8873-4ad4-8c65-54cc14f64e57&algo_exp_id=1af8c302-8873-4ad4-8c65-54cc14f64e57-0

The Alph6 4.5x27x50 is in the same price range with very good glass and a very good scope for the money as well. Like the Veyron the reticle is a bit thin though.

https://www.budk.com/Aims-Alpha-6-4-5-27X50-30MM-Riflescope-With-MR1-MR-48240

If you can manage a bit more money the SWFA fixed power scopes are an excellent buy as is the Athlon Talos BTR 4x14x4.

https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics-Riflescope-Illuminated-Reticle/dp/B01APT0G0E?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Hard to go wrong with any of these $100- $300 dollar scopes.

The Aztec and Element scopes are another good option if you have a little more money they are not as compact or light as the others but still maybe a bit better in quality and good for scopes for the money. Both have great clear glass and good turrets and both are likely SFP.

Aztec; I absolutely love the reticle on this one.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/scopes/aztec-emerald-5.5-25x50-scope/

Element Optics Helix; I think the turrets are slightly better on this one.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/element-optics-helix-6-24x50-sfp-ehr-1c-moa-reticle-30mm-tube?a=9471

Hello If you are happy with the UTG except for the front focus/ AO they do make a Bugbuster model with a side parallax adjustment for under $150. AS for a 1-6 LPVO I have a Meopta Optika6 1-6 which I love But it has a fixed parallax at 100yds you can use the eye cup to focus but not as good as a true adjustable parallax. On 1x its as good as some of the best red dots but on 6x not as clear under 50 yds.(its great glass but does better over 50 yds).Athlon Helos BTR 1-4.5 has an adjustable side parallax and may fit the bill but its just under $400 AND it only goes to 4.5x I don't know if that is enough magnification for you. I wish there was a scope with some of the March options at a mid price point because they have every thing you would want but at a price. Hope this helps Eric

I have a UTG mini swat 4x16x44 on my Kral NP-03 and its much better than the other for sure. Its rather large for the small framed Prod but it is definitely a big improvement. My Kral is a .25 and shoots terrific but most of the time, I dont need as much lead. :)

I got an Optisan CP 3-12X32 SFP MH-10 (MIL) recently. Try take a look at one. Compact scope (9.5" 17oz.) with plenty DOF and wide FOV, less fiddling with turrets and dials. Contrast is pretty snappy too, which might help with green critters in green trees.

I like that. Ill read more on it,thx

Many of the reviews on UToob are out of the UK. For Hunter class FT they set zoom at 10X and parallax to 25YD about and proceed. No changing the turrets and dials during meet. I found the long DOF is just fine from 15-50YD, given my eyes, but kinda fuzzy at the extreme ends. Scope shoots virtually parallax free as set in that range, just gotta you know trust your eye and presumed holds. Bear in mind that close work you may use 5X, with the inherent increase in DOF, and merely halve your holds, or dope for other magnifications. This is, after all, a second focal plane (SFP) scope. Frankly, I am quite amazed how well I can shoot within these constraints. It must be the scope.

i imagine squirrels are roughly the same head size and i just use a cheap light 4X 

.prod is really a sub 30y gun and ive not wanted to change the scope yet, too much mag makes me doddle and miss shots, although ive made some unbelievable shots with the prod and dropped some big critters lol ... maybe im just used to it its been on there so long ... now if i was picking something out of a tree at 60 id want the mrod25 with at least 9x on it handy for those kindof shots .. 16 would prolly be better ..

Chuck, biohazardman has legit suggestions for sure as well as others here. I can share my P-rod scope journey as well. Started with low end <$100 and <$200 red dots, Feyachi Reflex Sight, Pinty Red Green Reflex, Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot, Athlon Optics Midas TSR2, Holosun - HS403R and finding the Holosun was the winner for me with a 2 moa dot @ $150. Satisfied? Kinda but no. I looked into LPVO in the price range of $100-$500 to see what was out there along with the right reticle too. Weight and reticle were my two objectives. These were the two I ordered to test. A Burris and a Monstrum, Each caught my attention for both stated reasons.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G00M5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WFJJ2VS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Testing them both on the Prod out to 50yds, it was clear to me that the Monstrum for the price was the clear winner in weight, reticle, eye relief and clarity. A fantastic value @ $100 for an LPVO in my opinion. I will note that the reticle that Monstrum states as the option is NOT what I received, I got a BETTER one as I posted. Researching what I got was futile, no online data to share the reticle type.

20210512_195916.1630712639.jpg

20210730_184117.1630712755.jpg

20210801_225711.1630712968.jpg

Patrick

Chuck, biohazardman has legit suggestions for sure as well as others here. I can share my P-rod scope journey as well. Started with low end <$100 and <$200 red dots, Feyachi Reflex Sight, Pinty Red Green Reflex, Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot, Athlon Optics Midas TSR2, Holosun - HS403R and finding the Holosun was the winner for me with a 2 moa dot @ $150. Satisfied? Kinda but no. I looked into LPVO in the price range of $100-$500 to see what was out there along with the right reticle too. Weight and reticle were my two objectives. These were the two I ordered to test. A Burris and a Monstrum, Each caught my attention for both stated reasons.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G00M5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WFJJ2VS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Testing them both on the Prod out to 50yds, it was clear to me that the Monstrum for the price was the clear winner in weight, reticle, eye relief and clarity. A fantastic value @ $100 for an LPVO in my opinion. I will note that the reticle that Monstrum states as the option is NOT what I received, I got a BETTER one as I posted. Researching what I got was futile, no online data to share the reticle type.

20210512_195916.1630712639.jpg

20210730_184117.1630712755.jpg

20210801_225711.1630712968.jpg

Patrick

i imagine squirrels are roughly the same head size and i just use a cheap light 4X 

.prod is really a sub 30y gun and ive not wanted to change the scope yet, too much mag makes me doddle and miss shots, although ive made some unbelievable shots with the prod and dropped some big critters lol ... maybe im just used to it its been on there so long ... now if i was picking something out of a tree at 60 id want the mrod25 with at least 9x on it handy for those kindof shots .. 16 would prolly be better ..

Man them iguanas are tough. You have to shoot them right behind the eye to drop them. Heart shots, lung shots and they'll jump in the canal (behind my house) and swim away and die somewhere. I dont like to do that. Its legal but for reasons we speak, noone should be trying without some skill. Not too long ago a pool maintenance person was shot in the leg by someone in the area. It made the news..I knew exactly what happened! On yootube, ck out i g u a n a solutions. She is dropping them from a standing position but honestly, we're not seeing all the misses..

Chuck,

scopes are a wonderful tool. With many features — some necessary for your shooting scenarios, others helpful, and others not necessary or useless.

So, you need to figure out what you want in a scope.

I started out like you, with a simple UTG scope. It served me well — to realize what I really wanted in a scope...! 😄 

So, find below some scope specs that seem to be important to consider (besides good glass, of course). And at the end an easy solution to find them.... 😄

🔸10 yard MINIMUM PARALLAX

I find that a non-negociable as my shots are often very short range.

🔸SIDE PARALLAX

I agree with you that side parallax is more convenient than AO.

🔸FFP vs. SFP

One important decision is what method you will used to adjust your point of aim (POA) for ranges outside of your point blank range (PBR*):

(a) dialing the elevation turret, or

(b) holding over with the reticle, or

(c) you rarely ever shoot outside of your PBR.

*[You probably know this, but just in case: The PBR is the range where the pellet is only so little above or below your line of sight that it will hit the killzone — therefore no adjustment (holdover or turret dialing) is necessary.]

➔ (a) IF you dial the turrets, you probably want exposed turrets, none with caps. 

➔ (b) IF you hold over with the reticle, it is necessary to have a reticle with evenly spaced hash lines.

➔ And: It is nice to have a FFP scope (first focal plane), because the holdovers are always the same no matter what magnification you happen to be on.

Different with an SFP (second focal plane), where the reticle is calibrated at a certain magnification (very often 10x — or 9x with a 3-9x scope), and at any other magnification the holdovers are different.

🔸MAGNIFICATION RANGE

You already stated you need a higher magnification at the top end of the magnification range — for head shots ("aim small, hit small").

It seems that 9x on the top end is quite good, however there are a large amont of scopes

However, since your shots are also close range, you also will need a wide field of view (FoV) at the bottom end. This spec is expressed in "FoV in ft, at 100 y."

My critters pop up as close as 10y, and I like a FoV at the bottom end of at least 30ft at 100y

🔸WEIGHT AND LENGTH

Since you're shooting a PRod this is probably a concern — I know because I shoot a PP700. 

🔷 Wouldn't it be nice if there was a list of scopes that fulfilled all the above mentioned requirements —

and that are within your price range —

and that you could compare side by side...?

➔ Well, there is, it's attached below.

Happy scope shopping, Chuck! And one day I hope to get to Florida and shoot some iguanas! Because in the Peruvian jungle they are not a plague but a very cool part of nature, so I can't bring myself to kill them....

Matthias

❌ Attachment:

Scope Specs Table for SHORT scopes and for 3-12x and 3-9x

download.png
View attachment SCOPE Specs Table. For Short Scopes and 3-12x 3-9x Scopes.1630726269.pdf