• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Opinions Please: At a new permission….What caliber would you start off with?

Personally I would pick .177 or 22 cal. I really like the 22 cal with the right pellet and a properly set up gun. I really like a hades or cphp for low power shooting, I’m worried about ricochet or long range carry. My 30cal maverick shooting 85 fpe when I shoot at the field I can see the pellet bounce a few times through the field. It’s over a mile to the next property. 
It’s just my personal opinion but I really like the flexibility and pellet selection of 22cal. 

I always use a 177 under 15 fpe unless there is a particular animal that needs dispatching that would require a bigger bullet. I generally do 177 for feathers , 22 for squirrel or gophers and save the 25 for raccoons. If I ever had the opportunity to protect a chicken coop from a coyote I would probably go with a 30 or 35. All these things change as safety requires. If I use a 25 or greater I am setting up backstops and setting bait for a sure thing. Generally if a 177 can do it I stay away from 22 and if a 22 can do it well you get the idea. 177 under 15 fpe is a favorite of mine around tin roofs. Actually 12 fpe is even better. I haven't had a chance to shoot somewhere where I had to reach out past 30 yards. In fact almost every shot has been 30 or 40 feet. Your milage may vary. I haven't had a permission in forever. Northern CA has been pretty rough for me on permissions.

Lots of good common sense here.

I would add that since most of us have plenty of tools for that job, have a discussion with the property owner PO and find out what the PO wants or expects.

Bring several rifles. Be ready for a show and tell. She the PO that you are a serious air rifle enthusiast and that these rifles are not Daisy Rough Rider that you see in a movie. Show the PO that you understand that every situation is different. Explain that you focus on accuracy and use the smallest tool for the job. When a bigger tool is needed, you have it available. 

Have a good conversation with the PO. Its important that you cover lots of situations and are on the same page.

Communication is key. Manage expectations.

Best regards,

Paul in N.TX

In regard to @gerry52 I have to agree you need to use your smarts. Things are situational dependent. I consider @crosman999 one of the most ethical airgunner YouTubers out there, along with my friend Alex of Air Rifle Activities. To my knowledge, I have never seen Dana or Alex take what are really risky shots, which is communicated to the viewer.

With that last comment, I see other popular YouTubers who I also consider ethical, but sometimes the gear they are marketing supersedes getting the right message across. Using 22 cal slugs INSIDE a barn, that isn't yours to me kind of stupid, and I am talking FAC model guns being used. Sub 12 cal slugs still present issues vs pellets but on a lower level, but still issues over pellets.

Though at the same time it is the viewers responsibility of the videos not to be an idiot and go beyond their ability, which can be dangerous.

@randen1942 I agree with you on one thing, keep low if you can, but to me energy kind of is key. One gun that has really perked my interest for the future, and budgetish is the Reximex RP Carbine / Pistol. (yes a bit off topic.) Right now I can't find the gun available in the USA. However, I found a dealer in Europe I can order it from and have it delivered for total price of $475. Power output is 20 J = 15.5 fpe. For something that can be so compact, it looks like a great option. I know it is coming to the USA eventually, but not sure on pricing yet. For close quarter pesting, this would be a tough option to beat.

reximex-reximex-rp-pcp-pistol-55mm-22.1631831850.jpg

I always use a 177 under 15 fpe unless there is a particular animal that needs dispatching that would require a bigger bullet. I generally do 177 for feathers , 22 for squirrel or gophers and save the 25 for raccoons. If I ever had the opportunity to protect a chicken coop from a coyote I would probably go with a 30 or 35. All these things change as safety requires. If I use a 25 or greater I am setting up backstops and setting bait for a sure thing. Generally if a 177 can do it I stay away from 22 and if a 22 can do it well you get the idea. 177 under 15 fpe is a favorite of mine around tin roofs. Actually 12 fpe is even better. I haven't had a chance to shoot somewhere where I had to reach out past 30 yards. In fact almost every shot has been 30 or 40 feet. Your milage may vary. I haven't had a permission in forever. Northern CA has been pretty rough for me on permissions.

Best advice of them all! Run your data on strelock and educate yourself! Even the 10 grn 177 can have some collateral damage! The 8 grners are very popular with the guys that keep permissions for years, but assuming a roof shot at a farm with 25 cal plus? You better be damn sure of what is 3 to 600 yds over, yes, a 25 cal 25 grn king @ 900 FPS is in air for 600 yds, the 33 grners are way worse! Bottom line, be smart! Know when to pass up the shot, know your backstop and don’t screw it up for the rest of us👍🏻 Oh, and have fun!