• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Opinions on traditional CO2 pellet rifles like Beeman QB78

Went home for lunch and was able to get it chronographed and on steel at 50 yards or so.

The gun ships with co2 in it. Unsure how many times flying dragon shoots it before sending it out the door. But the day I got it we shot it probably 10 times before putting it up.

So the below graph is the factory co2 cartridges with an unknown number of shots on them. I shot the gun until it was in the 500fps range which at that point stopped and added 2 new cartridges. I then fired a few more times with the new cartridges. I also deleted the really low shots. You could hear they were weaker.

IMG_5943.png

After adding the new cartridges I put a few on steel the chronograph the following. So these have probably 5-7rds on them before these were taken.

IMG_5944.png

A few months back, I bought a slightly used QB78S in .177. I like it. I really enjoy shooting it (I call it "The Zipper"). The rifle comes to shoulder impressively well. I also like the light weight. I would buy it again.
There is one big flaw with the rifle and one small though, imo. The big flaw is the safety. What a pain to operate. A little lever must be flipped 180 degrees and it's not easy to get a hold of. It lays real close to the stock. I have to kind of jam my finger tip between the lever and the rifle to start the lever moving. Major design flaw.
The small gripe I have is with the bolt knob. It's a little small and can painfully dig into palms and fingers. I see a bigger bolt-on knob is available for around $25.
I zeroed the scope on the QB just yesterday. After sighting-in, I hit an aluminum can hanging from a string on a tree branch at 35 yards 16 out of 17 shots. Number 16 fell short because the CO2 was running out. A higher aim and 17 hit as well.
I recommend the QB78S in .177. I'd love to try it .in 22 caliber also.

Not bad. If that leupold vx1is giving you too many paralex issues I am happy to trade you an airgun appropriate Center Point 4-16x40, friend.
;)
TKO is indeed only to be polite. Another Mike ( and an excellent tuner/custom air smith). Personal experience say's it will work well now that you are scoped up. https://ssl.tko22.com/Section5.html

Also your trigger group (housing I am not sure about) is the same as a QB and most all QB trigger tricks will work on it though Mike normally does this (esp. if asked. "As light as it goes please") he would have added jam nut's to the adjuster screws also. No telling but you might enjoy the "QB78 Plunger mod" using something like https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/0303201# . And if they still come with the spring hinged fake 2 stage trigger blade "I" enjoyed swapping to a straight (sold) QB blade.

Have fun.

John

Not bad. If that leupold vx1is giving you too many paralex issues I am happy to trade you an airgun appropriate Center Point 4-16x40, friend.
;)
TKO is indeed only to be polite. Another Mike ( and an excellent tuner/custom air smith). Personal experience say's it will work well now that you are scoped up. https://ssl.tko22.com/Section5.html

Also your trigger group (housing I am not sure about) is the same as a QB and most all QB trigger tricks will work on it though Mike normally does this (esp. if asked. "As light as it goes please") he would have added jam nut's to the adjuster screws also. No telling but you might enjoy the "QB78 Plunger mod" using something like https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/0303201# . And if they still come with the spring hinged fake 2 stage trigger blade "I" enjoyed swapping to a straight (sold) QB blade.

Have fun.

John
How does the tko attach on this model?
I’m assuming there is no barrel threads on it.

Finally got to put it on paper.

The co2 cartridges I had in it from 10 days ago leaked out which kinda sucks. Was hopeful it would last a few weeks but guess not.

Tried the two 177 pellets I have on hand. Crossman premier HP and RWS Meisterkruglen. The RWS did pretty good but the CM Premier just didn’t have any consistency. The premier pellets do not shoot worth a dang in any of my 3 177 guns.

Below Crossman Premier HP @ 35yards

IMG_6064.jpeg

The RWS at 35yards probably 10+shots
IMG_6068.jpeg

And that’s with me shooting off some old underwood shooting sticks and sitting in a rocking chair. So probably could do better off a bench.

I do have one gripe with the gun. The massive hole behind the bolt allows pellets to get trapped in it and requires tweezers to remove. At a range away from home this would be a range day killer.
IMG_6063.jpeg

Reactions: JDR