Opinions on the current crop of semi-autos

I recently got some jsb beasts for mine, shooting them at 930fps for about 65fpe, I get about 45-50 shots (i always stop at 2 mags, 38 shots) from a 300bar fill with reg at 150. Usually fill back up around 200bar i think.

I was wandering about shot count filling to 200 BAR or 250 BAR max.

So mine, and it seem the 2021 and up, like to operate at higher pressures. I've had the reg up to 180bar. When I lowered it down to 120/130, I started getting inconsistent groups. Back up to 150bar, and they tightened up. I use a nomad 2 to fill it to 300 bar every time, so its pretty easy for me to top off. I also use the heavier pellets (25 and 34gr). Maybe with lighter pellets, a lower reg would work better.

I have owned several, from one of the best to the worst! I'll go in order... The worst being a semi-auto Hatsan Galation! The trigger was horrible and it failed to cycle more ofter than it did cycle, and sometines it just wouldn't shoot at all! Accuracy was dismal when it shot as all, that one went back to Hatsan for a full refund! Next was the Evanix Air Speed. It cycled fine, whoever would jam horribly if you tried to shoot lighter pellets. Accuracy was also an issue. Power was decent and the trigger wasn't as bad as most of the semi-autos I've owned, but not as good as others. I ended up selling it to a guy who knew much more than I did, but if he ever got it working perfectly or not, I'm not sure. Then there was the AEA Backpacker. It was light, accurate and made good power, but had a really heavy trigger. It also would not cycle above 3200 psi, even though the max fill was much higher. I also felt if it had been regulated to around 2500 psi, it would have been a great semi-auto. It's gone now also. I also had a SAM (Semi-Auto Marauder), it was quirky, had an extremely long trigger pull and didn't really perform up to Marauder standards with accuracy. The power wasn't there either and I never could get it to the advertised level. Otherwise it wasn't a bad semi-auto, but I didn't use it much, so I sold it also. The last two I still have, the LCS SK-19 is very accurate and a beast for power! It will also shoot full-auto, although accuracy suffers quite a bit and you waste a lot of pellets! The trigger is long and about meduim weight, not terrible, but far from the best either. Lastly is the Huben K1, by far the best trigger of the group and very good accuracy and power as well. The LCS and Huben are very similar in they both use a 19 round non-removable magazine, a hammerless system and are easily adjustable for power, using a power wheel that controls the valve. I have not owned or shot a Leshly 2 or Steyr, but understand they are top notch, but also at the top of the heap price wise! Hatsan has also come out with a couple more semi-autos and a full-auto, but based on past experience, I am shying away from any of their current offerings. These are just my layman thoughts based on my own experiences, so I hope they help...
If you're still around, got a question about your AEA. Do you think adding a Huma regulator to it might have helped? I have the AEA HP SS .30 and I was thinking of getting a Huma in-tube nonadjustable regulator for it. I think if I install it set at about 2800 psi, I can fill the tube to 3600 psi but still keep the gun cycling at the lower pressure. Feasible?

I have an AEA SF compact in 30. It’s reliable and does a good job out to about 40 yards. Very fun and reliable so far. This is my second AEA the first was bolt action without bolt hold was so cumbersome to change mags but they fixed it in this semi auto version. Haven’t spent much time with it having 3 small kids. It’s currently for sale!

B3508711-CA46-4F15-A890-8710C244992A.jpeg

If you're still around, got a question about your AEA. Do you think adding a Huma regulator to it might have helped? I have the AEA HP SS .30 and I was thinking of getting a Huma in-tube nonadjustable regulator for it. I think if I install it set at about 2800 psi, I can fill the tube to 3600 psi but still keep the gun cycling at the lower pressure. Feasible?
I would think that would work, but I would test yours first to see where it starts to cycle the best with no issues. Mine was around 2500 psi, but if yours cycles with no issues at 2800 psi, then I would think you'd be fine.

Reactions: MWS
Yes, I added a Huma bottle reg to my HP Carbine and it works just fine. Set it to 160 bar (2300psi) and now I can fill to 250 bar and it cycles perfectly. I get about 80 shots before I’m down to the reg pressure.

IMG_6017.jpeg

Reactions: MWS
OK...I'm in on the Styer Pro X. The price will keep most people away from them. I just happened to find one listed in the classifieds right after I sold another high end gun and impulse bought it...unusual for me and I'm not the semi auto kind of shooter to begin with...but something different to experience. After an initial "figuring out" and understanding period I am impressed with this platform but I wouldn't consider it a "beginners" gun...I've had two other members contact me for trouble shooting advice. The Pro X has an old world type of workmanship and feel to it, which is very appealing to me...also
20230630_132801.jpg
20230124_181453.jpg
20230124_174530.jpg
20230124_174549.jpg
20230124_174609.jpg
expensive...However I've owned and shot quite a few different PCPs...good ones...and I honestly believe this platform is way underrated...there is just not a lot of them around...I've posted extensively when I first got the ProX and it goes head to head with my Veteran...The mags and the barrel to mag gap took some figuring out and I polished the bore on mine....Taipan Veteran .22, Styer Pro X .22, Kalibergun Mini Carbine .22...none will be leaving me any time soon...Hopefully.