• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Opinions on the Crosman Fury Nitro .177

Well we cannot tell you what to buy. If you want the gun for target shooting spring piston and nitro piston guns have a more harsh firing behavior. Somebody suggested a Daisy single stroke target gun which would be fine for short range plinking and it is accurate. Crosman has just introduced an entry level pcp gun for $219. That would also be a good starter rifle but you will need a pump or tank but pumping to 2000 psi should be no big deal.

If you want a cheap spring gun or break barrel that is exactly what you will get! There is a reason cheap stuff is cheap!
Quality is like buying oats. If you want good clean oats you must pay a fair price. If however, you are willing to buy them after they have been through the horse, they will be cheaper!

Seriously though, read lots of airgun reviews. look at the used guns posted. Go to some matches if you can and talk to the shooters(in between their shooting). They will be glad to talk to you.

I personally do NOT have the best of the best or the latest newest equipment but rather reasonably good equipment that keeps me in the game. I have never lost a shooting match BECAUSE of my gear.

Good luck with your search and buy the best you can afford.

If you want to just shoot an air rifle any of them will do? Some will disappoint you but if you just want to kill a few cans in the back yard the fury will do that. Air rifles are like most hobbies they can get expensive. Most scopes that come on the cheaper rifles are not that great. But if you want to limit what you spend, it will work. If you are like most of us and end up buying something better sooner than later. I would at least look at something between $200 and $300 and then a scope around $100? In other words figure around $400. Pyramyd Air lets you select what prices you want to look at and they show you what you can get for your budget. Good luck on your hunt for a rifle. 

Goodtogo hit the nail on the head.

A gun that is not accurate is not fun, but avmccuracy is a relative thing. Some folks want X's or 3/8' circles at long ranges. Other people find joy hitting tin cans at 20 yards.

You are asking guys who are way more likely to spend in excess of 1k than below it. 

All that being said, my humble advice is either get you a HW95 for $300 or keep an ear to the ground for a solid used gun. Either way you will get a gun that will outperform the Nitro Fury in excess of the nearly 3x cost, and will retain value. The NF will not. If $300 is out of reach get a Benjamin 397

I have had a little experience with the Crosman/Benjamin break barrels, what I found is this-triggers are awful, barrels can be pretty good. The biggest flaw for me is the barrel pivot washers and sleeve, the washers are plastic (at least on the ones I shot) and they all use a sleeve in the breech block which can and does allow the barrel to move a bit, with predictable loss of accuracy. I'd buy a Walther Terrus in a heartbeat over any of the Crosman/Benjamin break barrels.
John 

I'm generally one to advocate for the lower-priced models, but my experiences with Crosmans and Gamos have formed the exception to that rule. I suppose it does depend upon your intended purpose. For just a fun plinker, a Walther Terrus may be a good option. If you are wanting more power for hunting and are willing to shell out a bit more money, Umarex or Hatsan are likely your best bets. Given what I would guess is your price range, I would opt for a Umarex Octane or Fuel (both gas-piston breakbarrels, just different stocks). My only complaint with the Umarex's that I have handled is their triggers (better than Crosman and Gamo, but far from match grade), and the fact that both rifles are black synthetic stocks. That's just my personal bias, mind you- I like a solid, classically-styled wooden stock, but I must admit that synthetic is much lighter.
Another option in the lower-priced magnum category would be Benjamin's NP line (they are made by Crosman, so the triggers aren't great, but the rest of the build quality is better than their price range), and they have the added benefit (for me, at least) that they do offer wooden-stocked models. My biggest gripe with Benjamin would be the fact that almost all of their rifles do not have open sights; this is another personal preference issue, but one large enough that I refuse to buy one. Still fun to tool around with if offered, but I can't justify spending money on a rifle and being forced to spend more to put usable targeting devices on it.
I will admit to being a confirmed Hatsan fanboy, but I will also concede they are NOT entry-level rifles. Much better than their price, and the fact their velocities are tested with lead pellets is endearing, but the recoil and noise make it difficult to learn the basics. It's pretty hard to learn good shooting technique if you keep getting punched in the cheek. Plus, the fact they have a tendency to be a bit overpowered makes plinking less of a fun exercise and more of a danger. I learned that after my Hatsan 135 punched through a watermelon and then through my garage wall- 30 meters behind it.
As for the second part of your question, I will admit to having a preference for gas pistons over metal springs. Some people say metal springs are more powerful than gas pistons; some say the opposite. What is known is that gas pistons function better in bitterly cold weather (living in the Midwest, I can tell you that is a fact), and do not suffer if left cocked for long periods of time. As far as longevity, high-end spring guns will last a lifetime; so will mid-range gas pistons. In the lower end of the price range, it gets a little more sticky; the gas pistons can give you more velocity and a longer lifespan IF you do your research and get a good one. Cheap metal springs can fatigue quickly or break outright; very cheap gas pistons can leak. Overall, if I were shopping in the bargain category I would go with a good gas piston. On the whole, I would go up just a little and get a REALLY good gas piston.

Thanks for all the great information. I usually shoot and reload center fires rifles and pistols. From 223 up to 45-70, and love it. My main reason for getting into air rifles is to be able to shoot in my back yard, nothing fancy just a way to spend some evening or mornings. I'm retired from the Army so anytime is a great time to shoot. So, my shooting an air rifle will be for tin cans and targets.

Hmm... One idea that may not have been put forward yet is an IZH Drozdh. Kind of a funky looking little thing, and not powerful enough to be a hunting rifle, but it is well-known for accuracy. One additional perk that's very rare in spring/gas piston guns- it's a 5-shot repeater with an auto-indexing clip. Take a look and see what you think. For just some fun plinking, should be perfect. Most models offered come with target sights, although I believe there is a short 11mm dovetail that you might be able to mount a small scope on