• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Opinions on the Benjamin Trail XL .22?

Hi All - New member with typical forum newbie questions.

I'm searching this forum to read all that I can on springer rifles, but wanted to get this posted. I'm not new to air guns (own a lightly modded Crosman 1377) or to guns in general (I'm a hunter/shooter). We have ended up with a vermin problem and using a .22LR will be too loud or too dangerous. Most shots are too far for my 1377. I have been given permission by the wife to acquire an air rifle. The main targets are red squirrels and sparrows, but I want the ability to go after larger targets, so I'm considering .22. There will be an ammo requirement that I use lead-free pellets.

I've been looking pretty hard at the Benjamin Trail XL in .22:

https://www.crosman.com/benjamin-trail-xl-1100-22

1591031251_259959485ed535d3e24629.94451253.png

As for the lead-free ammo, that is the wife's requirement and her concern of animals or our young children ingesting a lead pellet found on the ground. As I've been researching, there seems to be mixed advice/feelings on using lead-free ammo in springers. Seems like I might be okay if I stick to the heavier pellets? I'm leaning toward a springer (in general) due to the simplicity - no pump, etc. like I would need with a PCP. I see that there are some aftermarket options for better trigger and other modifications to make the Benjamin Trail a better rifle.

That being said, I'm not married to the Benjamin Trail XL so if there are other, better models, I'm open to suggestion. I'm also not entirely opposed to a PCP; I just notice that PCPs tend to get expensive pretty quick, and I would need a pump.

So I would appreciate any feedback or guidance as I wade through the ocean of air rifle options!

Thanks!

The Bengie Trail NP .22 cal. was my 3rd air rifle purchase -- I've owned ~20 airguns since. I never killed anything with it. Never could get close enough to any pest to strike it with the barrel or the butt 😂, as I found that would've been the only way to kill with this powerful, but erratic shooter.

I've tried on 2 occasions to give away this pellet waster, but so far no taker. I don't blame them for not taking the rifle, who needs a 48" door stop.

The Bengie Trail NP .22 cal. was my 3rd air rifle purchase -- I've owned ~20 airguns since. I never killed anything with it. Never could get close enough to any pest to strike it with the barrel or the butt 😂, as I found that would've been the only way to kill with this powerful, but erratic shooter.

I've tried on 2 occasions to give away this pellet waster, but so far no taker. I don't blame them for not taking the rifle, who needs a 48" door stop.

Same here, sold mine to the local pawn shop for $100 ,( paid $300 for it) and felt ashamed for taking his money! I wouldn't give it to anybody cause I don't have anyone that I dislike that much. In other words; don't walk away from it RUN.

Thanks for the feedback so far. For everyone who had negative experiences, did you do any trigger work and use the loose "artillery hold":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV7zqBcW83Y

Sounds like the trigger should be changed on Day 1 with this rifle. I've used the "artillery hold" before on other guns, but seems to be important (necessary) to be used with springer air guns.

Weihrauch are nice, but man they are pricey! From what I understand, you get what you pay for!

I don't believe in a general use of the artillery hold helping anything. JMO. That said, I tried everything with that Benjamin as I really wanted to like it. Loose, tight, rested, offhand. Wouldn't group no matter what. I never did crown the barrel and probably should have tried that but I tried most everything else, including brass washers at the pivot. And yes, the trigger was improved. I just moved on and it just sits in the barn as a coyote dissuader now.

You’re 1377 has a much further effective small game killing range then an NP2. By far. It’s simply an innacirate design start to finish. I replaced quite a few parts on my Trail version as I was pretty dedicated to making it shoot. I did get one or two pellets out of many to shoot OK at 10 yards but I wouldn’t hunt with it. Right after I bought a Gamo accu and immediately started hitting everything I aimed at without even trying, the contrast was so stark I almost felt guilty. I’d get yourself anything but a Benji dude. Try to find an under lever gun. Or a Beeman R9. Or even a modestly powered Gamo. I’ve only had older gamo break barrels and the 2 under levers (accu and CFR) and I will say my older Gamos (I think they were like hunter 220?? So long ago) but they were not bad at all. Certainly 25 yard squirrel guns for head shots. Buying a Benji np2 will be the quickest way to teach someone accuracy means far more then power. 

KG’day Zuren I don’t own a Trail but I have owned two Benjamin Titans in 177 and 22 cal. I sold the 177 as it killed any scope placed on it, accurate but too expensive on scopes. I kept the 22 as it is also a very accurate hunter that likes H&N FTT 14.65 grain pellets. It doesn’t like alloy or green pellets at all. I did the trigger fix on both but they are no where near as good as the triggers in my Weihrauch’s.

I have a HW50S and HW77 which both shoot the H&N Green pellets extremely accurately. The 12.65 grain in the 77 and the 9.56 grain in the HW50S. I have tried different lead pellets in these two rifles but the alloy pellets shoot more accurately, flatter and hander then the lead imo. This is just my experience with these rifles. I’ve attached a video of the 177 Titan shooting coke cans filled with water up to 80 metres, ignore the Trail title as it was a typo.

Good luck choosing your new airrifle.

Gary

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMNhTf29aE

This video is the result, pretty accurate imo, must have been lucky and bought two accurate rifles😁

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LJddhHPm4TU

I have the Benjamin Trail NP .22 and have not been able to get this rifle to shoot reliably. I modified the trigger using the bearing which helped a lot BUT accuracy is still terrible. I have tried all of the various holds & with/without bench supports. Sometimes the rifle will shoot some nice groups but next day it is a scatter gun with 6" to 8" at30 yards. I would suggest that you look at other rifles before choosing a Benjamin but that is just me.

PS. Tried a lot of different pellets also.

And here I go again. My standard response. Look into a XS-25. Have Mike tune one and you will get a excellent rifle for under $200. Even if you get one non tuned he inspects and test every rifle he sells. You won't get a bad one. Then put the money you save into some decent optics.

If you want a Magnum look at the XS28M 

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

I guess I'm the odd ball. I have a Benji Trail NP2, not the XL, and find it accurate enough to hunt with. Last fall I shot a squirrel from 56 yards out and it dropped drt. Okay, that was pure luck, but it's my squirrel gun when I don't want to take my PCPs out in the rain. As for the trigger. It's bad. No way around it, but I'm used to it. I keep saying one of these days I'll replace it with a CTT trigger.

Look at it this way. If you go with the NP and don't like it, you can return it (if possible) or set it aside and buy something else. Spend 1 or 2 hundred more on a Weihrauch and you have a rifle that will last a lifetime, hold its value better, and come with a trigger that doesn't need replacing. 

The Benjamin Trail XL in .22 was my first air rifle. I bought it because of its power and it was a top seller on the Pyramid Air site.

The takeaways is it's HEAVY, LONG, KICKS like a mule as to be expected with most magnum air rifles. The break-action gets to be a bit much especially given you'll 

be shooting lots of pellets to master this BEAST.

It is one of that has a VERY SPEEP learning curve to get it to shoot accurately. Even when you cross your "T's" and dot our "I's" there is no guarantee you'll hit your target.

Some of the alternatives mentioned in the post are much better shooters.

To my surprise my Hatsan Hatsan 1000x QE Vortex Air Rifle is my springer to use. That model isn't being sold by Pyramid Air. The Hatsan 87 QE Vortex Air Rifle is very similar.

I would not recommend using alloy pellets in a Benjamin Trail XL in .22 because they are too light and it will sound like a 22 rifle because you will be breaking the sound barrier. Plus your accuracy will suffer.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm surprised this rifle gets such good reviews on places like PA, but sounds like I need to consider other models. Buying a $300ish gun and putting more money into it, to still not have it perform well is a non-starter. 

I have a list going of all the models mentioned above, so my research will need to continue!

I've begun to whittle my list to the following (in no particular order):

HW30 Urban Pro Laminate - https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw30s-.22-urban-pro-laminate/

Beeman R9 - https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_R9_Elite_Series_Combo/1560#2869

Sig Sauer ASP20 - https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/SIG_Sauer_ASP20_Gas_Piston_Breakbarrel_Air_Rifle_Beech/4597#8982

Diana 34 - https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_34_Striker_Combo_TO6_Trigger/1690#9655

For air rifles offered in a combo with a scope, is it safe to say the scope is fairly cheap junk they throw on? I've an avid fisherman, and I always buy and rods and reels separately as the typical combos put a budget reel on an otherwise nice rod.

The ASP20 is interesting; any thoughts on it? The one big con I find on it is that it isn't much, or will be any, aftermarket support for tuning and upgrades. Sounds like its a gun you and just need to be happy with. 

Thank you again!

I have a Benjamin summit np2 which is basically a trail np2 in a different stock and one of the things no one tells you is that with the NP2 it tends to do best with your trigger hand tight on the grip with a sling attached to the mounts and you pulling the sling towards you with your arm inside the sling military style and shooting over and over the same way