Opinions on a few scopes

Looking for something to put on a RX2 20cal. Occasional pesting, hunting and long range precision plinking.

Ok good scope between $300-$400

Criteria:

1) Must be AG rated

2) AO: Focus down to 10-15yds

3) Turrets and reticle must match

4) Awesome warranty

5) Fixed: At least 8x.
Vari: Max Power 20x

6) Illuminated reticle

Was thinking of brands such as:

Primary Arms, Vector, Athlon, Riton (I think that's how it's spelled), Arken, Vortek and West Hunter WT-F 8X44SFIR

Excluded Brands:

Hawke, Leapers/UTG, Sightron, Bushnell

Cross posted

Last edited:
A SFWA SS fixed power scope fits all your criteria except for the illuminated reticle.

I owned a RX2 in .20 for a few months and I put a SWFA 20x scope on it. It was fine and lived through the ordeal without any issues. That same scope is still being used on PCPS, and is still 100% functional and reliable. I have 3 of the 20x SWFAs so not completely sure which spent time on the RX2 but think it might be the same scope that is on my long range .22 PCP. Regardless, the turrets on all 3 can still be completely trusted, even the one that was on the RX2.

Last edited:
Reactions: josh3rd
A SFWA SS fixed power scope fits all your criteria except for the illuminated reticle.

I owned a RX2 in .20 for a few months and I put a SWFA 20x scope on it. It was fine and lived through the ordeal without any issues. That same scope is still being used on PCPS, and is still 100% functional and reliable. I have 3 of the 20x SWFAs so not completely sure which spent time on the RX2 but think it might be the same scope that is on my long range .22 PCP. Regardless, the turrets on all 3 can still be completely trusted, even the one that was on the RX2.
I like the SWFA line. How does it's AO Focus near the eye piece feel as to being on the side or front of scope

I like the SWFA line. How does it's AO Focus near the eye piece feel as to being on the side or front of scope
It’s awkward because on most other scopes that’s the magnification adjustment ring. Unless you’re a one gun, one scope airgunner it takes some getting used to after shooting other guns topped with scopes with the normal adjustment configuration. SWFA also offers adjustable side parallax models. The downside is that those models cost more.

Reactions: josh3rd
I like the SWFA line. How does it's AO Focus near the eye piece feel as to being on the side or front of scope?
If you're just using it for your stated uses, you can throw one of these on there and it works great.
Breakaway Nylon Coasters https://a.co/d/iymQGdP

Of course there are nicer/more expensive options but those work great for a general use airgun.

Here's a close-up of mine. It's closer to reach than a front AO. :)
Screenshot_20220624-122315.png

Reactions: wolfmangreg
If you decide to go the SWFA route, they have a "sample list" that is used, but verified to be fully functional, scopes.
The fixed, rear AO SWFA SS scopes usually go for $299 but you the used ones sell for as low as $240 on the sample list. They are graded, A, B, or C in terms of how used they are. One of mine was graded as an A and there wasn't a mark on it. Seems like the C's are usually rattle-canned a different color, where somebody did a home camo jobber on their gun/scope.

I lost my bookmarks when we converted to the new site, but [B]@JungleShooter[/B] has spent lots of hours making up great scope comparison sheets. If you can find one of those posts, I think it will help you a lot. He lists so many specs so you can compare many brands.
Here’s one of them

If you decide to go the SWFA route, they have a "sample list" that is used, but verified to be fully functional, scopes.
The fixed, rear AO SWFA SS scopes usually go for $299 but you the used ones sell for as low as $240 on the sample list. They are graded, A, B, or C in terms of how used they are. One of mine was graded as an A and there wasn't a mark on it. Seems like the C's are usually rattle-canned a different color, where somebody did a home camo jobber on their gun/scope.
If you are patient and watchful you can get new ones considerably cheaper than 300. Two years ago I caught them on sale for $240. I wasnt watching my promotions email box and missed them in late April of this year for $200 on sale.