• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

opinions needed

Wink

Sep 7, 2015
I am looking to purchase a medium caliber rifle for varmint and small game. I am looking at the .25 caliber units. At this time, I wish not to go into the PCP range of riffles. With this said, I think I have narrowed my choices to two units. The Benjamin Trail NP XL and the Stoeger Arms X50. Who has used or compared these two units that can provide me any decent feedback? Both seem to have comparable power for a similar price.

Thanks in advance,

How big/what is the biggest varmint or game you're going to shoot? I might suggest a .22. While I don't have personal experience, the reviews I've seen regarding .25 caliber springers leaves me asking "why?" It seems like their range is really limited. Remember, most if not all manufacturers are using ONE (springer) power plant for all the different calibers they make, .177 up to .25. By this I mean a .25 springer may be a bit anemic? 

Where I live, there is always a surplus of squirrels and pest birds. The last few times I've gone hog hunting with coworkers, we have come across foxes and rabbits. Just not at the same time. Right now, I do not own a riffle. And I would love to purchase a nice large caliber PCP. However, I would like to start off a bit smaller. Something that is a good hunter for the smaller animals right now. When the time and money is right, I will eventually go large caliber PCP. Also, the majority of my targets are between 30 and 70 yards. Well within range of "most" airguns.

I was just calculating that a well placed .25 caliber round would take down the majority of what I see here in SE TX, minus the hogs and deer.

Allow me to be a bit brash, and comment on Sprocket's link.

Crosman/Benjamin openly states on their web site, that the Benjamin 397 (.177 cal. pumper) at 8 pumps, will achieve 799 FPS, using their Premier 10.5 grain, domed pellets, with an FPE of 14.7. That figure is fictitious! As fast as I have recorded the exact pellet is 672 FPS, which equals an FPE of just 10.53. This amount of energy is below their standard for "small game". If that were not enough, the best groups I can get, at 25 yards, using the exact pellet, is 1.5 inches! 

This compares with the Gamo Red Fire pellet which weights just 7.8 grains. Using just 5 pumps, the velocity averages 623 FPS, and the (calculated) muzzle energy is 6.72 FPE. Groups are always under .5 inches at 25 yards. As you use more pumps, the groups spread out a bit, but are still less than half that of the Premiers. 

So the question remains, is it best to have a whole lot of muzzle energy, but miss most of the time, or to have less energy with amazing accuracy? You decide, but I have no problem dispatching prairie dogs at 25 yards using the Red Fires. 

Wink: .22 will definitely do rabbits and squirrel (I actually prefer .177). Fox...probably, assuming good shot placement. The problem is this: the more powerful a springer is, the more difficult it will (likely) be to shoot accurately...until
you start paying "up." A lot of guys claim the RWS 460 Magnum is the most powerful springer that is still "easy" to shoot. That gun will cost every bit of $500 + dollars. For that cost, you get German engineering and construction, a (supposed) good adjustable trigger, and near PCP like power. You could buy a Benjamin Trail but the trigger will suck, it will make less power, and you MAY get a good barrel. Umarex may be a bit better (sometimes) than Benjamin as far as Q/C goes, but it's still a bit of a crap shoot. Are you able to shoot any springers? That would be helpful in giving you an idea of what you're looking at.

I have made my mind up. And, believe it or not, it is not any of the riffles I initially was looking into. I am ordering a Hatsan 125 Vortex .25 caliber. Of all the riffles that are within my parameters, this one seems to have better overall reviews. Turkish vs Chinese. I guess we'll soon see if my expectations are in line with this rifle.

Oh, that's probably a good choice. The 125 is Hatsan's "Mac-Daddy-Magnum" of springers (I was looking at those for some time, actually). Powerful, big, and heavy...people say they shoot very well. If the build quality is anything like my Striker Edge was, you will find it to be very solid. Keep us informed, I'd love to know how it works out for you.

Sad to say.... my Air rifle wishes have been placed on a temporary halt. I had to reroute my funds to accommodate another family member. However, I do have enough left to warrant a less powerful and costly unit. I hate to state my current options due to possible ridicule. But, it will at most get me back into rifling. And at the least, my son will have a starter when he chooses to show interest.

http://www.fieldsupply.com/hatsan-air-gun-blowouts-up-to-63-percent-off-ammo-rifles-more.html?trk_msg=3J2UCHP1I0DKJ6IO1UHBERCNOS&trk_contact=JQGHGJJUADUKLDDG79KOJ0ORFK&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fieldsupply.com%2fhatsan-air-gun-blowouts-up-to-63-percent-off-ammo-rifles-more.html&utm_campaign=Hatsan+air+gun+refurb+madness%3a+up+to+63%25+off!

Go here, "Field Supply" is blowing out Hatsan refurbs, and there are several that are what you were looking for. There are still several 125s in .22 available (140 bucks, I think), and Strikers as well. My Striker had a terrible trigger, but hit like a hammer. Very powerful econo springer.

I wish I had seen this before today.

I had gone to a local sporting goods store as purchased a Beeman. This particular one I have yet to find many reviews on. It is the wood stock version of the Kodiak X2. However, this one has two features I was looking for. It has a gas ram power plant and a sound moderator. It is the Beeman Quiet Tech dual caliber. For a lack of better words... I thought I'd give it a shot. It claims 830fps in .22 for 19-21 fpe. And the .177 shoots at 1000fps. If it is underpowered for my wants, at least my son has a gun to use.

I will eventually purchase a more powerful riffle for myself, when the time is right. In the meantime, I can at least train myself techniques on shooting a break barrel riffle.