• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Opinions needed on some FFP scopes (Riton, Athlon, Bushnell, etc.)

Hey Y'all,

I've got a beautiful new target rifle coming in and I'm looking for a 6-24x50 FFP to throw on top of it. I'll be shooting 100 yd benchrest, speed silo, and other general competition shooting. I'm looking at the following scopes:

Bushnell Match Pro 6-24x50

Bushnell Forge 4.5-27x50

Riton X3 Conquer 6-24x50

Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 6-24x50

Really having a hard time choosing because they all seem great. Biggest requirements are 30mm tube (already have FX mounts in this size), tree reticle, CLEAR GLASS!

Anyone have any experience with the Riton? It seems like a great scope and I like the reticle but there's very little info out there on them. Any feedback on any of these (or other suggestions) would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of these scopes you mentioned do not have some features people really enjoy, like a zero stop, a lockable turret, or a windage cap. If those things do not matter to you I believe the best deal on the planet is crimson trace series 2 if you can still find them on clearance for about $350. Athlon is the other one that would be good on a budget. Blackhound and Riton are ok, they have Chinese glass like the Athlon but still good, probably some of the best from china. Riton has a really good discount through www.expertvoice.com of 40%.

If you are willing to increase your budget, especially if you are filming through your scope, I would recommend.

Athlon Ares BTR

Meopta Optika6

Vortex Viper PST Gen II

US Optics TS-25X (the discount makes it affordable)

Riton X7 Conquerer (the discount makes it affordable)

Also the resale value on the above scopes is pretty good too.

A lot of these scopes you mentioned do not have some features people really enjoy, like a zero stop, a lockable turret, or a windage cap. If those things do not matter to you I believe the best deal on the planet is crimson trace series 2 if you can still find them on clearance for about $350. Athlon is the other one that would be good on a budget. Blackhound and Riton are ok, they have Chinese glass like the Athlon but still good, probably some of the best from china. Riton has a really good discount through www.expertvoice.com of 40%.

If you are willing to increase your budget, especially if you are filming through your scope, I would recommend.

Athlon Ares BTR

Meopta Optika6

Vortex Viper PST Gen II

US Optics TS-25X (the discount makes it affordable)

Riton X7 Conquerer (the discount makes it affordable)

Also the resale value on the above scopes is pretty good too.

Yeah I'm about 3 weeks to late on the Midway Crimson trace deal :(

I would love to pick up one of those nicer scopes but $600 is really the top end of my budget. I don't anticipate I'll be filming through it.

Don't forget the Gen 2 Arken:

https://www.arkenoptics.com/sh4gen2-p00107.html

Not only does Cyclops Joe give it two thumbs up, so does Tiborasaurusrex. He's former military and is a wealth of information on precision optics.

Looked hard at the Arken but the 4 week wait time is sort of a turn off. It's still in the running but I think I'd rather have a Bushnell or Athlon.

Don't forget the Gen 2 Arken:

https://www.arkenoptics.com/sh4gen2-p00107.html

Not only does Cyclops Joe give it two thumbs up, so does Tiborasaurusrex. He's former military and is a wealth of information on precision optics.

Looked hard at the Arken but the 4 week wait time is sort of a turn off. It's still in the running but I think I'd rather have a Bushnell or Athlon.

You will be lucky if they deliver in 4 week. Athlon and you will be happy!

Many of these I have no looked through, so I can't really compare. All i have to add is that my favorite scope is a Meopta. (pro 5, older model) It lacks some features we'd like to have today, but it just looks sooooo good though that viewfinder. Much easier to get a clean sight picture than my Crimson trace which retailed for about 3X as much. Positively blows the doors off the Hawke.

Can't go wrong with the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2. However they have a 4-20x50 and 6-24x56 not 6-24x50. Not sure if that makes any difference to you.

I'm not sure if they are out yet but the Helos G2 6-24x56 APRS6 is what I'm getting. Helos BTR APMR FFP IR MIL Hunting Scope | Athlon Optics

Nico, maybe someone will trade you straight out for your rings or put in the backup pile for later purchases.

Blackhound? Never heard of them. Checked the Blackhound website- nothing about their history listed, etc. Anyone know what the history of this company is?

Check out Cyclops Joe's video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CFbp4gn9M

And if you have more time, this will give you a better feel for the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m38l3HMMNDc

I like to read too, but print media is going the way of the dinosaur, sorry to say. Don't judge a company poorly just because they don't print a history.

Check this out, most car companies don't print an owners manual anymore, you get a PDF sent to your email when you buy a new car or truck. I bought a new motorcycle this year and got a PDF. Know what? That sucks, because there have been times in the past where I've had to pull off the road and refer to a real owners manual.

PDFs and videos are the future.

Just an update - I've found a USO TS25X for $575 and a Riton X5 for $475 so it will be between those two it looks like. Leaning towards the USO since I already have 30mm mounts and I think it is better glass. Anyone have any comments on these?

Bushnell Forge 4.5-27 is still in the running but I am slightly concerned that the 1/2 MOA center dot is too large.