• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Opinions between Daystate and FX?

Kind of a spin off of my first post on a second PCP. So forgive me posting a similar topic. I would like something a little different from my AA S510. I think I may have narrowed it down to a couple rifles..... The FX Royale 400 Sport (sounds like their own stock?) or standard model. and the Daystate Wolverine B Hi-Lite. I would still consider something different along those lines. A couple questions since I have never seen either in person. BTW I generally shoot paper. Also is it me???? Or is it hard to get a hold of AOA? I would like to talk to someone when I spend $2000+
1. What is the fit and finish between the two? I'm kinda anal about that and love nice wood.I really want another traditional walnut rifle right now. The bottle gun is growing on me even though I like the cylinder looks better.
2. Accuracy? I have seen some recent posts on the Wolverine that concern me.
3. What would I expect for noise? I see that AOA has included a moderator with them. I'm using a AA S510 .177 now. I would be probably be going to .22.
4. Scope wise I am now using a Hawke Sidewinder 20X would more power be of any benefit?

its basically a cross between a MK4 and an Air Ranger and has been developed from both I think they have just took the best bits from the 2 and combined. Its been on sale for a long time now so all the bugs were ironed out years ago, compared to the Wolverine its regulated (electronically) and will give you a really really consistent shot string from full to empty it might be worth you watching a few reviews on youtube to get the specs. 

I'm one of the guys that had some problems with the Daystate Wolverine recently. I'm also a long time owner of the FX Royale and I'm on my second one. I can tell you my experience with them but it's hard to translate intangible's over a forum, especially when different things will be important to different people. Also, after having both I greatly prefer the Royale over the Wolverine so my following sentiment is likely to sound really biased, but I like talking about the differences in guns I've owned so here it is none the less. :)

Overall, what I like about the Royale platform:
1) Consistency / accuracy. Accuracy in spades. Here is a video that I made recently of me shooting a 33 shot group at 51 yards with the Royale. (fair warning, video editing sucks lol) That's JSB 25g picked straight from the tin. I can't tell you how accurate the Wolverine is because both of mine had a problem out of the box that prevented me from being able to see what it's capabilities were.

2) Regulated, and regulated very well. Here is something to consider. The Wolverine and Royale get about the same amount of shots. The thing is though that the Royale 400 does this with only a 400cc bottle, where the Wolverine has a 480cc bottle. The Royale is clearly more efficient and will use less air to accomplish the same thing.

3) Regulated. Didn't I already say that? haha Yes, but that was in regards to shot count. Now I'm referring to consistency. In .22, if you shoot a full string of 80 or 90 shots or whatever it is from both guns, your extreme spread will be much higher on the Wolverine. Even with the Harper valve system there will still be a larger bell curve to your shot string. If you shoot an entire string into one single group, you will notice your group will start to go higher on the paper as the bell curve increases with the Wolverine. Also, when the bell curve drops, so will your shots / POI.

Here are pics of a full shot string from both guns. (Both these guns were in .25 by the way, not .22)

To be fair, I've had my Royale adjusted so that it's shooting at around 890fps so it might get a few less shots now.

4) Noise. The Wolverine in .25 was noticeably louder than my .25 Royale. I don't think this will matter as much for either gun if you're sticking with a .22. I'm pretty sure they're both fairly quiet in that caliber.

5) Side lever cocking on the Royale is much much much smoother than the bolt on the Wolverine. I can't stress this enough. I've had 2 AA S-510's and the Royale is even smoother to cock than those. The best I can explain it is that when I'm shooting groups and want to maintain a consistent eye relief / line of sight through the scope, I have a much harder time with the Wolverine. I have to alter my position to "brace" the gun a bit so that I can pull the bolt back and then cycle it forward again.

Build quality I would say is a draw. Each gun has exceptional machining and there are no rough edges to be found anywhere on either gun and both feel solid.

I really enjoy the smooth twist barrel and the fact that I almost never have to clean it.

The Wolverine is a "prettier" gun I think. It has very sexy lines and is visually very well laid out. The shape/design of the stock is gorgeous but for the cost of the gun one would think it would at least come with an adjustable butt pad, which is another nod to the Royale. Small nod, but still a nod.

The Royale is less expensive right now with the recent price drop a few months ago. Granted, the Wolverine has a special going on where you get a hawke airmax scope with it, but it's still $610 more than the Royale.

The Royale weighs about a 1/2 pound less.

The Royale also has a very repeatable 3 way power adjuster which, if just plinking, can let you get many more shots.

I prefer the magazine system on the Royale better, but that may just be due to the fact I've been using it for a few years and I'm very comfortable with it. Also after thousands of rounds through the 3 mags I have, none have ever given me a single hiccup or glitch or misfire or anything.

I like the trigger on the Royale a little better. Not only do I prefer the way it feels, but it is much easier to adjust than the one on the Wolverine. For that matter, I've had my Royale completely apart, regulator out, etc and it is a very simple and easy gun to work on if the need ever arises.

Did I say this was going to make me sound like I'm biased? lol.

Anyway, there it is. I hope you enjoy whichever one you end up selecting. As slanted as my opinion is, they are both nice guns in their own right.

Reactions: Tominco
"Cliff_Allen"I'm one of the guys that had some problems with the Daystate Wolverine recently. I'm also a long time owner of the FX Royale and I'm on my second one. I can tell you my experience with them but it's hard to translate intangible's over a forum, especially when different things will be important to different people. Also, after having both I greatly prefer the Royale over the Wolverine so my following sentiment is likely to sound really biased, but I like talking about the differences in guns I've owned so here it is none the less. :)

Overall, what I like about the Royale platform:
1) Consistency / accuracy. Accuracy in spades. Here is a video that I made recently of me shooting a 33 shot group at 51 yards with the Royale. (fair warning, video editing sucks lol) That's JSB 25g picked straight from the tin. I can't tell you how accurate the Wolverine is because both of mine had a problem out of the box that prevented me from being able to see what it's capabilities were.

2) Regulated, and regulated very well. Here is something to consider. They get about the same amount of shots. The thing is though that the Royale 400 does this with only a 400cc bottle, where the Wolverine has a 480cc bottle. The Royale is clearly more efficient and will use less air to accomplish the same thing.

3) Regulated. Didn't I already say that? Yes, but that was in regards to shot count. Now I'm referring to consistency. In .22, if you shoot a full string of 80 or 90 shots or whatever it is from both guns, your extreme spread will be much higher on the Wolverine. Even with the Harper valve system there will still be a larger bell curve to your shot string. If you shoot an entire string into one single group, you will notice your group will start to go higher on the paper as the bell curve increases with the Wolverine. Also, when the bell curve drops, so will your shots / POI.

Here are pics of a full shot string from both guns. (Both these guns were in .25 by the way, not .22)

To be fair, I've had my Royale adjusted so that it's shooting at around 890fps so it might get a few less shots now.

4) Noise. The Wolverine in .25 was noticeably louder than my .25 Royale. I don't think this will matter as much for either gun if you're sticking with a .22. I'm pretty sure they're both fairly quiet in that caliber.

5) Side lever cocking on the Royale is much much much smoother than the bolt on the Wolverine. I can't stress this enough. I've had 2 AA S-510's and the Royale is even smoother to cock than those. The best I can explain it is that when I'm shooting groups and want to maintain a consistent eye relief / line of sight through the scope, I have a much harder time with the Wolverine. I have to alter my position to "brace" the gun a bit so that I can pull the bolt back and then cycle it forward again.

Build quality I would say is a draw. Each gun has exceptional machining and there are no rough edges to be found anywhere on either gun and both feel solid.

I really enjoy the smooth twist barrel and the fact that I almost never have to clean it.

The Wolverine is a "prettier" gun I think. It has very sexy lines and is visually very well laid out. The stock is gorgeous but for the cost of the gun one would think it would at least come with an adjustable butt pad.

The Royale is less expensive right now with the recent price drop a few months ago. Granted, the Wolverine has a special going on where you get a hawke airmax scope with it, but it's still $610 more than the Royale.

The Royale weighs about a 1/2 pound less.

I prefer the magazine system on the Royale better, but that may just be due to the fact I've been using it for a few years and I'm very comfortable with it. Also after thousands of rounds through the 3 mags I have, none have ever given me a single hiccup or glitch or misfire or anything.

I like the trigger on the Royale. Not only do I prefer the way it feels, but it is much easier to adjust than the one on the Wolverine. For that matter, I've had my Royale completely apart, regulator out, etc and it is a very simple and easy gun to work on if the need ever arises.

Did I say this was going to make me sound like I'm biased? lol.

Anyway, there it is. I hope you enjoy whichever one you end up selecting. As slanted as my opinion is, they are both nice guns in their own right.

Thanks! This kind of review is what I was looking for. Have you heard anything about the 400 sport model that AOA sells? Just wondering if it is worth the extra price. I also think I prefer the side lever. Regulated is a plus also. Why did you try a Daystate? Just something different?

Thanks Dirte, I'm pretty sure the sport model Royale is exactly the same, just has a 3rd party walnut stock that a lot of people might prefer. It wasn't worth the extra price to me because I'm primarily concerned with performance and looks sort of take a back seat for me but everyone will feel differently about that.

I tried the Daystate just because it was one of the only major brands left that I haven't tried and I've seen people do reviews of them where they refer to them as "heirloom" guns, next level build quality, etc. I became quite enamored with the idea of trying a gun with such next level craftsmanship. However, I wasn't left with the impression that it was put together any better than some of the other major brand guns I've tried so was a bit disappointed with that. Over the past few years I've been buying and selling just to try different things for myself. You always see people get into brand wars online about such a such a gun is better than everything else out there. I want to find out first hand and I really enjoy the process.

Hey Dirte, I have a Royale 500 with the walnut stock and it's beautiful. I'm not sure you need to pay more for the sport stock on the 400. The 400 in Walnut should be beautiful. I second everything Cliff says about the Royale 500. Just an amazing gun. Very accurate, great power, unbelievable shot count, very quiet. Just to be clear, the 400 is exactly the same gun except in .177 or .22 caliber instead of .25, a 400 cc bottle instead of a 500 cc bottle and a shorter barrel (19.5 vs 25.5) and thus a shorter gun (40" vs 47". $610 less, plus it's regulated...

If you upgrade the scope that comes on the Wolverine, the price of the gun goes up. I know because that's what i did. My understanding is that the Royale line in .22 and .177 now come with the carbon fiber bottle.

I read on some of the UK forums that the Daystate line was bought out a few years ago and that it was kept hush hush. Some were speculating that is the reason for recent QC issues with the latest models being put out. Cutting costs, etc. I don't know if there's any truth to that, I'm just regurgitating what I read. It's just as likely to be the talk of trolls. It probably makes me sound like a troll lol.

"Cliff_Allen"If you upgrade the scope that comes on the Wolverine, the price of the gun goes up. I know because that's what i did. My understanding is that the Royale line in .22 and .177 now come with the carbon fiber bottle.

I read on some of the UK forums that the Daystate line was bought out a few years ago and that it was kept hush hush. Some were speculating that is the reason for recent QC issues with the latest models being put out. Cutting costs, etc. I don't know that for sure, I'm just regurgitating what I read.
That would be a bonus with the bottle. I read your thread on the Wolverine. A little scary. That would drive me crazy. BTW I won't hold it against you...... Even though your avatar is ISIS's Mobile fighting/recreation vehicle.

"Dirte"
"Cliff_Allen"If you upgrade the scope that comes on the Wolverine, the price of the gun goes up. I know because that's what i did. My understanding is that the Royale line in .22 and .177 now come with the carbon fiber bottle.

I read on some of the UK forums that the Daystate line was bought out a few years ago and that it was kept hush hush. Some were speculating that is the reason for recent QC issues with the latest models being put out. Cutting costs, etc. I don't know that for sure, I'm just regurgitating what I read.
That would be a bonus with the bottle. I read your thread on the Wolverine. A little scary. That would drive me crazy. BTW I won't hold it against you...... Even though your avatar is ISIS's Mobile fighting/recreation vehicle.
Lmao, my poor goat! haha. 

Dirte, You've got one heck of a choice to make! 
I have owned an FX 500 and have always wanted a Daystate. 
Both rifles have their strong points. You mentioned about liking a nice wood stock. The FX's use very nice wood. The Daystates use beautiful wood! That being said, you might ask about a premium stock for the FX, if you go that way. It'll cost a few hundred more but, at a minimum, it will be equal to the Daystate (imo). I like cylinders better than bottles, aesthetically speaking. But, bottles tend to have a higher and smoother shot count/string. 
Accuracy... You won't be disappointed with either one. They continuously go up against each other and continuously give each other a run for their money. If there's any way that you could get one or both of them to hold, DO IT. I'm a firm believer that the shooters relationship with their rifle directly effects overall accuracy. 
I can't help you with noise. since I haven't owned a Daystate and only had the 500 for a short time. 
The scope question is more related to your intended style of shooting. If you're happy with it and foresee no changes in your shooting, then keep it! It'll continue to do well for you. If you're going to change your shooting style, then you might consider a different scope. 
Good luck with your choice! :)

Cliff_Allen - Accuracy + for you! That is a great comparison you posted! 

Edit: Also, use the call back feature with AoA. It's served me very well in the past. 

Tom

I love my Wolverine B-Lite in .25 it shoots 1/2 & smaller groups @ 50 yards, once I started lubing the pellets. No malfunction with over 5000 pellets so far. However if I had to choose between my Wolverine or my FX 400 .22. I must be honest & say I would choose my FX. One thing it is smooth as silk, consistent accuracy almost no flyers ever, hardly ever have to clean the barrel, never have to lube pellets, not one malfunction in 7 years thousands of pellets. I Also like the feel of it slightly better than my Wolverine.

Reactions: Dirte
"Tominco"Dirte, You've got one heck of a choice to make! 
I have owned an FX 500 and have always wanted a Daystate. 
Both rifles have their strong points. You mentioned about liking a nice wood stock. The FX's use very nice wood. The Daystates use beautiful wood! That being said, you might ask about a premium stock for the FX, if you go that way. It'll cost a few hundred more but, at a minimum, it will be equal to the Daystate (imo). I like cylinders better than bottles, aesthetically speaking. But, bottles tend to have a higher and smoother shot count/string. 
Accuracy... You won't be disappointed with either one. They continuously go up against each other and continuously give each other a run for their money. If there's any way that you could get one or both of them to hold, DO IT. I'm a firm believer that the shooters relationship with their rifle directly effects overall accuracy. 
I can't help you with noise. since I haven't owned a Daystate and only had the 500 for a short time. 
The scope question is more related to your intended style of shooting. If you're happy with it and foresee no changes in your shooting, then keep it! It'll continue to do well for you. If you're going to change your shooting style, then you might consider a different scope. 
Good luck with your choice! :)

Cliff_Allen - Accuracy + for you! That is a great comparison you posted! 

Tom
Thank you Tom for the accuracy! I always try to be helpful without being too preachy and I've been trying to get to 10+'s so I can have 2 green dots haha. You've always been super helpful and have earned a couple of +'s from me in the past. :) Keep up the great work!

Another + right back at ya.

Reactions: Dirte
I have a .22 AirWolf MCT I purchased from AoA about 4 years ago. It showed up looking like no other air rifle I've ever owned. The Italian walnut stock is a sight to behold. The electronics have been flawless, in the sense, that the shot cycle is really flat, and the shot count is awesome. Since the trigger is a micro switch its like 1 ounce and takes some getting used to. Accuracy wise it is capable of 100 yard accuracy (no wind - .22) and at normal ranges piles one pellet on top of another. AoA calls it the Bently of Airguns and it truly is, and I never regret the purchase. I have more confidence in my AirWolf over the other PCP's I own. With that being said I have a .22 Cricket BP which is Extreamly accurate and a joy to shoot. The same can be said for my .22 FX Wildcat. If quality and accuracy is important you know where I stand, but the other two are awesome as well, but you simply can't stare at them and say wow like the AirWolf, but I don't think you are supposed to. The Wolverine seems like a really nice gun and many in the past have been happy. With that being said, a few post here seem to indicate there may be some rare QC issues.

AoA is not very responsive by phone but be email they seem to be much better.

Ok, I'll throw in my 2cents. I also have the FX500, now regulated and to keep it company I also have a regulated AAS510 Carbine, a Daystate Regal in 22 and of course the Vulcan Tactic. Comparing the Daystate and the FX, a lot different overall but a couple of the features we're talking about I'll comment on. The beauty of the wood in my case definitely goes to the Regal. The smooth as silk side lever on the FX is the winner by a mile there. The trigger on the Daystate is very crisp but I like the trigger on the FX now that I figured it out. Fit and finish about the same. The small stature of the Regal makes it really fun to shoot but the FX is really easy to shoot accurately. If I had to make a choice between the Regal and the FX 400 I'd probably go with a FX. I shoot the 20X 1/2 mil on three of them so Dirte, I think you'll be fine there.
jk

Kind of like a Ford vs Chevy debate. They both do the same thing well just how they look and feel getting doing it. Most of the Daystate rifles seem to be less pellet finicky vs the FX ST barrel. FX wins in the cocking dept unless you get an electronic model, the FX is very smooth and easily cocked without loosing sight picture.
Trigger would call it a tie unless you get electronic Daystate then it wins hands down.
Noise level at shooter ear, win goes to FX, Daystate hammer and valve are louder. Daystate electronic wins hands down.
Noise down range if Daystate has hugget it's a tie if not FX wins.
Ergonomics both are excellent I like the FX better, personal opinion both are great.
Stock finish Daystate wins hands down.
Regulated FX wins over unregulated daystate for consistency. Unless Electronic then tie.
Accuracy tie. Both are capable of extreme accuracy.
Magazines I would say Daystate for ease of loading and durability.
Cost FX wins by a couple hundred in most cases.
That's my take on the two. Having shot or owned all of them.