• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Opinions about between Athlon Helos and Vortex Diamondback Tactical

Hello.

Once again i'm struggling with choosin the Scope.😃

I have couple scopes on my mind, but it seems to be hard to make decisions, so i would like to hear some opinions about these scopes. Reviews are what they are, so i rather would like to hear some opinions from people, who own these scopes or have tried or even looked through them.

- Athlon Helos BTR 6-24×50 APMR FFP IR MIL

- Athlon Helos BTR 8-34x56 APMR FFP IR MIL

- Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 FFP EBR-2C (MRAD)

Usually the shooting distance is approx anything between 15m to 100m or little bit more.

Helos has the illumination, so i'd like to know what kind is it. Brightnes between low and high and how sharp it is when illumination is on.

Also the glass quality between these three scopes. Clarity, sharpness, brightness and how it looks like on highher magnifications.

I had Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 and it was extremely good and quality scope, but now i might want something else.

The 34x is struggling a bit at highest magnification. Very usable but hey it's not an expensive scope. It doesn't focus down to 10Y on high magnification if that's a concern. 

Well it's the locking turrets that is the deciding factor in the Helos line. It's not needed really unless you are hunting and are worried that they might get turned by accident, or maybe in a drag bag too, which happened to me before, though with a S&B.

Otherwise go for the Argos BTR to save some $.

But you might be disappointed if comparing to the Midas TAC which is class leading.

Only the Vortex Strike eagle, which doesn't have the best glass around, or the Meopta tactical scopes that compete with the mentioned scopes are IMO eligible.

I had 2 Athlon Helos 6-24x50s. They were on the HW97s that I used for HFT (16X max.) and they worked out great (clear, excellent reticle, good range finding, held zero) but I wanted to try something else so I sold one of them. Sorry I did. Why did you part company with the Midas Tac? Uj

I sold it with my previous gun. The reticle was APRS2. If i decide to choose Midas TAC again, then i would choose APRS3 reticle.

The 34x is struggling a bit at highest magnification. Very usable but hey it's not an expensive scope. It doesn't focus down to 10Y on high magnification if that's a concern. 

Well it's the locking turrets that is the deciding factor in the Helos line. It's not needed really unless you are hunting and are worried that they might get turned by accident, or maybe in a drag bag too, which happened to me before, though with a S&B.

Otherwise go for the Argos BTR to save some $.

But you might be disappointed if comparing to the Midas TAC which is class leading.

Only the Vortex Strike eagle, which doesn't have the best glass around, or the Meopta tactical scopes that compete with the mentioned scopes are IMO eligible.

Midas TAC really has a high quality glass. It's bright and the reticle is very crisp.Overall a good scope. Midas TAC with APRS3 reticle is one option too. Just need to think for awhile.

Minimum parallax should be 10-15 yards or max 20 yards. Helos 34x has 15 yards and the others 10 yards, so no problem.

Argos wouldn't be an option for me.

I had 2 Athlon Helos 6-24x50s. They were on the HW97s that I used for HFT (16X max.) and they worked out great (clear, excellent reticle, good range finding, held zero) but I wanted to try something else so I sold one of them. Sorry I did. Why did you part company with the Midas Tac? Uj

I would recommend to wait a couple of week for the review that Joe Rhea, aka Cyclops will be doing on the very new 34mm Vector Optics Continental 5-30x56FFP scope. It is in that same general price range and I believe there is a good chance that the 34mm Continental which only just came out a couple of months ago is going to be one of the best buys for scopes that are costing as much as $1500. I love his honest reviews so I am eagerly waiting to see his hands on no BS opinion. I heard that he should post the video in a couple of weeks or so?

SURE HOPE ITS WAY WAY WAY BETTER THAN THIS ONE! THIS IS A POS!!! ITS LIKE THE MTC VIPER PRO (well maybe not as bad as the Viper Pro) JUST GOT IT YESTERDAY WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!

This is the 34mm version and not at all clear past 18x-19x and it's a 30x scope! At least the MTC VIPER PRO 5-30x50 just gets milky past 20x bit the Discovery just kinda flat out looks like looking through the scope with parallax not focused perfect past 20x no milkiness just can't quite focus clearly.

20200918_173236.1600508361.jpg

SURE HOPE ITS WAY WAY WAY BETTER THAN THIS ONE! THIS IS A POS!!! ITS LIKE THE MTC VIPER PRO (well maybe not as bad as the Viper Pro) JUST GOT IT YESTERDAY WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!

This is the 34mm version and not at all clear past 18x-19x and it's a 30x scope! At least the MTC VIPER PRO 5-30x50 just gets milky past 20x bit the Discovery just kinda flat out looks like looking through the scope with parallax not focused perfect past 20x no milkiness just can't quite focus clearly.

Wow, that was one I considered on my list but to me I was skeptical that China can only make low priced scopes and that they could make a one with that spec so low of a price. Additionally, China has produced some good moderate priced scopes and there must be some quality Chinese firms that can take it a step further and I am hopeful that the new 34mm Vector Optics FFP Continental scope can deliver that. It has only came out a couple of months ago and so there is limited unbiased reviews. There is one but I am going to wait for Joe Rhea's review. 

Athlon is made in China has a good reputation but I would not buy a scope with a parallax that does not go down to 10 yards for airguns. There is so much misinformation out there on scopes and that is why I trust and really have hesitated to buy my next scope until I see a review from Joe Rhea, aks Cyclops on Youtube as he tells it like it is. The problem on Youtube is many of the other people ARE PAID by sponsors so they will lie about the truth when someone pays them thousands to do a positive review. Joe does not have ANY sponsors and has turned down those bribes.

Wow, that was one I considered on my list but to me I was skeptical that China can only make low priced scopes and that they could make a one with that spec so low of a price. Additionally, China has produced some good moderate priced scopes and there must be some quality Chinese firms that can take it a step further and I am hopeful that the new 34mm Vector Optics FFP Continental scope can deliver that. It has only came out a couple of months ago and so there is limited unbiased reviews. There is one but I am going to wait for Joe Rhea's review. 

Athlon is made in China has a good reputation but I would not buy a scope with a parallax that does not go down to 10 yards for airguns. There is so much misinformation out there on scopes and that is why I trust and really have hesitated to buy my next scope until I see a review from Joe Rhea, aks Cyclops on Youtube as he tells it like it is. The problem on Youtube is many of the other people ARE PAID by sponsors so they will lie about the truth when someone pays them thousands to do a positive review. Joe does not have ANY sponsors and has turned down those bribes.

Where did you hear he doesn't? Not saying he is, but he does put alot of effort into promoting things he likes. What made me twinge is when he said the primary arms scope was built like a tank. I look on there website and in the description it says "built like a tank". So i mean thats a little strange