opinion: best caliber for slugs?

I have a .25 crown mk2 and a .30 crown mk2 that I shoot pellets from and both have a 700mm barrel installed. I tried slugs in the .25 with fx hybrids but I didnt like the accuracy. I also didnt play with a tune because the .25 is shooting so good with the pellet tune I dont want to mess with it. I am thinking about getting another FX and start out tuning it and setting it up strictly for slugs. I am eye balling an impact and I will be getting the 700mm barrel but the 800mm slugger model is a strong contender. So what do you all think is the better caliber for a dedicated slug gun? It seems the .22 has the most options or at least has been given the most attention in working out designs and pushing the limits forward. So I am leaning towards .22 and want to hear peoples experiences with slugs of .22, .25 and .30 cal.

I have a Crown MKII in 25cal. You should have any problem with slugs, especially the lighter one's unless you're shooting them too slow. What speed are you shooting the Hybrids at? They like the low to mid 9's.
I tried the 26 gr. hybrids and the jsb knockouts that are 34 gr. or close. I pushed the hybrids anywhere from 875 fps in my 380mm barrel to 940 fps in my 700mm barrel. All the barrels I tried them in would stack 2 or 3 on top each of other then throw 1 or two as far as 1 moa. I could probably tinker with the tunes in each crown and get better results and maybe not. The 700mm is shooting the 34 gr. jsb so good I dont want to mess with that rifle to possibly come close to the accuracy I am getting with the pellets. I just recently put the .30 barrel on the other crown so I will be playing with that setup and pellet's for awhile. So I think I should buy a dedicated slug rifle and do it in what I think would be the best caliber.

In principle, I like the idea of .30 cal for slinging heavy slugs and going long, due to the fact that the diameter lets you get a lot of weight in the same magazine length, and also requires less effort on the gun to push the same weight in smaller calibers. In similar weights you are close or slightly less BC than the heaviest .22 slug, but get a lot more shot count and lower reg pressure due to the diameter advantage.

All that said, .30 still has a serious problem with slug selection. I have a .30 M3 and tried all of the major slug options and the only good one was the FX Hybrids...and they are really good in my gun. In the recent Matt Dubber video talking about Patriot Javelin gen 2 development, he made a comment that testing revealed most of the current slugs in .30 are the wrong diameter for the current FX barrels. This seems to mesh with my trials. With all that in mind I would skip any new guns in .30 for now. You could get a pack of Hybrids and try them through your .30 crown just for fun, though. It might be a solid shooter.

.25 I don't have experience with, but when I look at the selection it is only slightly better than .30. The safe bet seems to be .22 since so much development has been done in that caliber and slug selection is the largest. Power wise, I see crowns shooting 23gr .22 slugs in the 930-950fps range, just to give an idea of the platform capabilities. If you want to shoot heavier weights and higher powers, then you'll probably want something like an Impact. This is especially important if you want to sling the 34-40gr weights at 950fps+ speeds. The South African guys are maxing out their .22 Impacts to get those levels. Reg pressures 170-200bar and hammer weights mandatory.

Holy smokes your still around, lol. Glad you made a showing again. Seems like the hottest trend is toward the 22cal. So many options and expertise on the subject especially with the Impact with it's unlimited tune ability, liner lengths, types and calibers. I shoot a MKII Impact 22cal currently with the NSA 20.2's and inside 80yds its a hoot, but for longer distances there are lots of proven slug choices.
Good to hear from you.
jking

Reactions: golfer70 and LDP
Holy smokes your still around, lol. Glad you made a showing again. Seems like the hottest trend is toward the 22cal. So many options and expertise on the subject especially with the Impact with it's unlimited tune ability, liner lengths, types and calibers. I shoot a MKII Impact 22cal currently with the NSA 20.2's and inside 80yds its a hoot, but for longer distances there are lots of proven slug choices.
Good to hear from you.
jking
HAHA yes I am still around. I got away from shooting pcp for awhile and focused on building long range hunting rifles for people and playing with my centerfire rifles and went thru a 22 lr bug with a couple cz 457. I am shooting my pcp rifles much more again and bought a couple new ones. I have always wanted to play with slugs but never had a pcp that would be good for them. I will buy an impact just for a slug platform and I agree with the majority that .22 would probably be the best caliber to do it with.
Always good talking with you.

Reactions: golfer70
What are you wanting to do with the gun and the all-important question, how much do you have to spend? For hunting small critters up to large squirrels out to 75 to 100 yards, or maybe raccoons at relatively close range I would go with a .22. Most common working man priced PCPs can be turned up to at least 50 ft. pounds or more. 60 ft. lbs would be even better. That would allow medium weight slugs at a decent speed so as to avoid excessive hold overs and wind deflection. Now if you can afford top shelf then the world is your huckleberry.

I will not tell you what to get, but this: - you will have to play with the slugs.
I have the .25 with 700 Superior Heavy liner, and I have a monster power upgrade on my MK2PP.
I am shooting 100 meters rings only with this MK2. The barrel was indexed and the tuner was set at the very first slug weight when I started.
I tried these slugs, all ZAN, 37-41-44-46 grain, and the speed with every each North of 960.
My personal opinion is that the 37 grainer groups the tightest in the ring, but............that was the barrel tuner set to first....so maybe the harmonics and vibration, I don't know I did not deep dive that direction. Not yet ;)

Reactions: LDP
What are you wanting to do with the gun and the all-important question, how much do you have to spend? For hunting small critters up to large squirrels out to 75 to 100 yards, or maybe raccoons at relatively close range I would go with a .22. Most common working man priced PCPs can be turned up to at least 50 ft. pounds or more. 60 ft. lbs would be even better. That would allow medium weight slugs at a decent speed so as to avoid excessive hold overs and wind deflection. Now if you can afford top shelf then the world is your huckleberry.
I guess I could have started my post off with saying I have allot of experience with pcp rifles and have owned 14 or so different brand pcp rifles from budget to upper end. I know about tuning and modding pcp rifles and how much power can be made with different brands and models. I have decades of hunting/pesting experience with airguns and firearms so I dont need power advice for taking types of game. I stated that I will most likely be buying an impact. It really doesnt matter what I will be doing with this rifle for the question I asked. I wont be wasting slugs on small critters and my other pcp rifles shooting pellets do just fine out to 120 yds taking out starlings up to rock chucks. My .25 crown mk2 is tuned to shoot @ 60 fpe and my crown mk2 .30 is tuned at 86 fpe. I have only dabbled in slugs off and on the last 11 years in my pcp rifles. Now that you see more options geared specifically towards shooting slugs I want to give them a proper go and see if its worth the effort for things beyond 120 yds. My question is pretty straight forward: in your opinion and experience whats the best caliber for shooting slugs? I was already leaning heavily towards .22 based on the fact thats the caliber thats been given the most attention and should be the most refined with the most options. I also like to hear what the people shooting .25 and .30 have to say and the experiences they can share about those calibers and slugs especially if they have ran them against .22 slugs.