• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Open Letter to Leupold - Please Make this Scope

"oldspook"I think they would build that if they could. The specifications you stated are pretty steep. You can do it if you scrimp on the glass. Good glass is expensive. That's the hard part. Anyway, good idea about a petition to get them to build an AG oriented model.
With the holiday break, I haven't had a chance to reach out to Leupold. I'll see if I can get an appointment to meet with them next week.

Happy New Year!

"oldspook"I think they would build that if they could. The specifications you stated are pretty steep. You can do it if you scrimp on the glass. Good glass is expensive. That's the hard part. Anyway, good idea about a petition to get them to build an AG oriented model.
I think the closest Leupold gets is their EFR target model. 

They really aren't the brand to go to for a feature rich inexpensive scope. 

"DellaDog"As far as I can tell, nothing out there meets the OP's requirements, especially when you factor in the cost and weight specs. I think I've researched every scope on the market to find a scope that parallax's down to 10yds and has a 3x to 20x or so magnification; unless you're willing to spend March Optics kind of money, they don't exist.

For my new Daystate Regal XL 22, I first got the Sightron SIIISS3510X44LRMD/CM which has (IMO) excellent glass, reticle and tracking. But, I really wanted a bit more magnification so I next bought the S-TAC3-16X42MOA, the only other under 56mm 10 yards focus Sightron offers. Side by side, I like the SIII better, mostly because I prefer the mil dot, wider reticle - the finer S-TAC MOA reticle is tough to see for the dusk/evening rat shots.

Can be found for ~ $550(Or better with the great MIL/LEO discount)
SIIISS3510X44LRMD/CM
Reticle Type: Mil-Dot
Magnification: 3.5-10X
Focus Type: Side Focus
Parallax Range: 10yds to Infinity
Weight (oz.): 20.8
Length (in.): 13.19

Can be found for ~ $400(Or better with the great MIL/LEO discount)
S-TAC3-16X42MOA
Reticle Type: MOA-3
Magnification: 3-16X
Object Diameter (mm): 42
Focus Type: Side Focus
Parallax Range: 9yds to Infinity
Weight (oz.): 23.5
Length (in.): 12.9

Check out this Sightron : Sightron STAC 4-20×50, MOA-2, Matte – 26015[/QUOTE]https://theopticzone.com/product/sightron-stac-4-20x50-moa-2-matte-26015/embed/

Thanks for the link Zebra, looks like a similar reticle with a bit more zoom. In my quest for a reasonably priced airgun scope, I just bought a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 (10 yd parallax) off snipers hide for a decent price. It's a somewhat dated scope, but it hits all the key needs. 

Im curious to see how it compares to the SIII 3.5-10, which I really like.

OK so Leupold does make the scope we want, just not at the price point or weight we are looking for. Here's the original list:

1) FFP
2) etched mil dot reticle
3) focus from 10 yard to infinity
4) 3x or 4x to at least 14X magnification
5) side focus
6) less than 16oz weight
7) under $500

OK, it has:
1) FFP
2. Etched glass mil dot reticle (or their TMR design some consider better)
3. Minimum parallax focus - unsure not specified
4. 3.5 to 25 magnification
5. Side Focus
6. Less than 16 oz, well, not even close at 37 oz (over 1000 grams, or over 1 kilo if memory serves on metric conversions)
7. under $500, not even close. Midway USA has it at $4,299.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/847478/leupold-mark-8-m5b2-tactical-rifle-scope-35mm-tube-35-25x-56mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-zero-stop-first-focal-illuminated-tmr-reticle-matte-refurbished?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-new-_-20161231-_-20161231

Oh, and at $4,299, it's free shipping.
Using this scope as an example, if Leupold tackled the list of desired features, they could easily sell it for $2000 or $3000 without any problems. I think that whole $500 thing ain't going to happen. Hawke's and MTC scopes may be good, but Leupold commands a whole lot more money for the features.