Online purchased the only option?

I would suggest going to an event. I am not familiar with Cali, but I know a LOT of guys out there. They meet up regularly and shoot. Most if not all are super friendly bunch and will be very likely to let you shoot their guns. Hopefully someone has the particular model you are looking for.

Would also be helpful to you if you list your needs, wants, purpose, distance, power requirements, etc & maybe can get some decent suggestions.
You might stop by one of the CASA Field target shoots. They're a great bunch and some also hunt and pest as well as shoot FT.
Here's a link to their site-https://www.californiaairgunshootersassociation.com/ Make it known that you're in the market for a gun and some member may have one for sale.
I see you're in Fontana. I lived there YEARS ago when Foothill was 15 miles of grape vineyards. Don't know if Pomona Airguns still exists. They WERE in Pomona but believe they moved to Hesperia. MOST of us don't live near airgun stores. I did lots of research & got a Marauder as my first PCP. Back then it was probably the most popular "1st PCP". Now the options are many & confusing. I'm in Oceanside. When weather clears here I'd be happy to let you try my guns if you feel like traveling here.
This is the other great option for you - is to get to know some local airgunners and either try out their rifles and/or buy some from them as they'll inevitably have some for sale at some point. In this thread alone, there are at least four members that I've either met locally or traded with online before. Gerry's in the SD area and as nice a guy as you'll meet!

This is the other great option for you - is to get to know some local airgunners and either try out their rifles and/or buy some from them as they'll inevitably have some for sale at some point. In this thread alone, there are at least four members that I've either met locally or traded with online before. Gerry's in the SD area and as nice a guy as you'll meet!
Back atcha Yennie!

Reactions: yenniedn
Kinda random I came across this post as I just joined today to sell my Benjamin Bulldog .357 and I’m in SoCal as well. I got my tank and the bulldog at top air guns in Huntington Beach they are a great place but can be a bit pricey. I know this is random but if you are interested I’m in Lake Forest and have a Bulldog .357 with a UTG scope, case, 2 magazines and 200 round of Nielsen specialty ammo for $650 all you need is a tank. Got it for my son and he doesn’t use it has less than 100 rounds through it, paid just over $1000 for everything. Sorry to jump in just saw you were close and looking.

View attachment 321886
Thanks, but that’s too big of a caliber

It def ends up being trial and error for most of us. I have had pretty good luck liking most of what I have tried. If you are looking for small and lower power there is the new umarex notos. Probably as good as a prod for a lot less. In full size full power guns to stay below 1k is just going to be a sideways move from the avenger in my opinion. At least when talking brand new. You could get really close by spending just a little more money and getting an fx dreamline.

I am in So Cal and just decided to take the plunge and have ordered all of my airguns from Airguns of Arizona. I read lots of reviews, looked at lots videos. I started with one and added three more, been thrilled with all of them and AOA customer service, kept three and traded one back to them. One other point not every dealer carries every brand, ie, AOA is a Daystate dealer and Utah Airguns is a FX dealer, they both carry other brands as well. I would just jump in if you do not like it you can always sell it or trade it in, and even in some case the dealer will take it back after a short trial.