Online purchased the only option?

Depending on where in SoCal you are, you've got Brian @ Edgunwest.com and Joe B. @ topgun-airguns.com that have local shops that you could check out.

I'm in NorCal and know of no nearby shops that I could walk into so, yeah, I just do my research and buy most stuff without ever handling it first. It's been a lot of trial and error through the years but that's part of the fun.

Last edited:
Depending on where in SoCal you are, you've got Brian @ Edgunwest.com and Joe B. @ topgun-airguns.com that have local shops that you could check out.

I'm in NorCal and know of no nearby shops that I could walk into so, yeah, I just do my research and buy most stuff without ever handling it first. It's been a lot of trial and error through the years but that's part of the fun.

Yup, that’s why I learned to buy reputable brands with known good support from factory direct after a few guns were difficult to find info and parts for. A dealer loses interest in spending any time to help after the sale, I learned the hard way that model doesn’t work!

To OP: This forum is full of great information along with huge amount of misinformation. Decide on what you want to do or your use case and the pictures will be clear much quicker.

Last edited:
Reactions: yenniedn
Even if you have a shop nearby, the best you can do is handle the gun and maybe shoot a few rounds before buying. If you have a particular gun in mind, you should be able to get a non-biased review here on the site from owners.
Even that alone would be very helpful versus buying something based entirely on online research. Had I been able to handle a rifle before purchase, I would've ruled out a number of purchases based on ergonomics, build quality, loudness, looks or any number of other factors that looking at them on a computer screen wouldn't tell you.

I think you would have better luck finding a public phone booth in the U.S.
Just seems there isn’t a big enough market for them, well, until the govt bans firearms all together.
Pyramyd Air is 20 minutes from me but they are pick up counter or shipped, no showroom, so absolutely everything airgun for me is online order. I can buy crap pellets at the local gun store but I would be better off buying a roll of plumbers solder and cut off pieces and call them pellets.

By far i prefer a walk in shop, fortunately i have this here, though it often mean i have to drive clear across the whole damn country.
Fortunately X2 i can get to my favorite shop in 2 hours MAX as it is a small country i live in.

Even if i drive a pea car like i shoot the pea caliber, then it do cost some in gas ( not as cheap here as in the US )
But it is money well spent, and really shipping companies even if i have been fairly lucky with those, i have absolutely no trust in them.

As a northern Kentucky resident in no position to be advising a Californian on where to check gear out in person. If you do find a place within a reasonable drive though, it can definitely be worth it.

Was in the market for a field target rifle over the summer, & had narrowed it down to two models. Nearest brick & mortar airgun store is a little over 3 hours away (Baker Airguns - good folks btw), but luck was on my side- they had both in stock. Made the drive & was glad I did.

Both were pretty darn good, but found a clear favorite based on things I would never have gleaned from either an internet ad or YT review/infomercial. Was also able to dismiss concerns about that model not having an adjustable cheek rest- was able to shoulder one with the exact scope I planned to use with it, & cheek weld was satisfactory. Bought it then & there.

Hope you find a place to do some test driving!

I would suggest going to an event. I am not familiar with Cali, but I know a LOT of guys out there. They meet up regularly and shoot. Most if not all are super friendly bunch and will be very likely to let you shoot their guns. Hopefully someone has the particular model you are looking for.

Would also be helpful to you if you list your needs, wants, purpose, distance, power requirements, etc & maybe can get some decent suggestions.

I know it’s a bit far from Fontana but Only shop I know in SoCal is joe at topgun-airguns/airtanksforsale in Huntington Beach. Never been there or dealt with him directly but heard he is a good guy.

AirTanksForSale / Topgun-Airguns
(714) 907-0067
I'm still waiting to get my Sapsan back from Joe B., only been 10 months, we're in discussion about remedies, but this little bit of weather in CA has probably put a hold in it. Fail to understand why, what do 70mph winds, pouring rain and flooding have to do with getting my gun back?

Last edited:
Reactions: RAMJET66 and qball
There is another one in Palm Beach, Palm Beach Air Guns. I'm still waiting to get my Sapsan back from Joe B., only been 10 months, we're in discussion about remedies, but this little bit of weather in CA has probably put a hold in it. Fail to understand why, what do 70mph winds, pouring rain and flooding have to do with getting my gun back?
Palm Beach Airguns is in Palm Beach, FLORIDA...quite a drive for him from CA ;)

• Haha
Reactions: qball
I see you're in Fontana. I lived there YEARS ago when Foothill was 15 miles of grape vineyards. Don't know if Pomona Airguns still exists. They WERE in Pomona but believe they moved to Hesperia. MOST of us don't live near airgun stores. I did lots of research & got a Marauder as my first PCP. Back then it was probably the most popular "1st PCP". Now the options are many & confusing. I'm in Oceanside. When weather clears here I'd be happy to let you try my guns if you feel like traveling here.

I see you're in Fontana. I lived there YEARS ago when Foothill was 15 miles of grape vineyards. Don't know if Pomona Airguns still exists. They WERE in Pomona but believe they moved to Hesperia. MOST of us don't live near airgun stores. I did lots of research & got a Marauder as my first PCP. Back then it was probably the most popular "1st PCP". Now the options are many & confusing. I'm in Oceanside. When weather clears here I'd be happy to let you try my guns if you feel like traveling here.
Thanks. I may take you up on that. Pomona airguns moved to Nevada

I’m looking to pay topgun a visit. Edgun is closer but looks like they don’t have a storefront

Thanks. I may take you up on that. Pomona airguns moved to Nevada
Just let me know. Guns such as Air Venturi Avenger have become really popular as "entry level" PCP'S. The adjustability, tunability & projectile options in their price range was virtually non-existent when I started. There's nothing wrong with starting with less expensive guns & learning what they (and yourself) can do before moving to higher tier equipment. Air supply is an IMPORTANT part of this whole equation.

Reactions: qball