Daystate One Wolf (Red one), Two Calibers (.25 or .30): Which One

I recent picked up a used 177 Red Wolf and a PRS Chassis, Love it! But then begs the quest for a larger caliber for long (100ish yards) Benchrest. So I wrote centercut and he highly promoted the non-Electronic BRK Ghost 30, but I can not push myself to like the bullpup layout. So I still love that Red Wolf only would .25 cal be the better or as in the Centercut recommendation .30 but in my familiar rifle layout.
So what is the collective thoughts and opinions of Red Wolf .25 or .30 ???

Thank you Charlie C

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I think with some modding opening up the valve and transfer port and making a new poppet maybe adding weight to the hammer and a heli board would wake up a 30 cal but that takes a bit more work
Unless you have been INTO the modern daystate rifles and see there continued architecture of valve tech you would not be able to relate.
Shallow throat limit transfer exit size. Limited seat / poppet & throat diameter limits area one can modify too.

While knowing DS has a new valve being used in Delta W and Retro into Red W actions, not seen it too ascertain what it has to offer in larger calibers ??

I have both the .30 Ghost and .22 now converted to .25 RW. I absolutely love my RW. I prefer it over the .30 Ghost at the moment due to mostly the fact is I have thousands of rounds through my RW. I have not spent near the time with the Ghost as I have the RW. The Ghost is definitely a shooter though. Mine like the 50gr jsb at 865 ish over other pellets so far. The Ghost is definitely a power house though which is great! I definitely think the Ghost doesn’t feel as much as a bullpup as it looks and shoots. I don’t think you could go wrong with either but definitely prefer the .25 RW over the .22 for me. Either way you have got to let Derrick Wall @zx10wall put his magical touch on it. For me Nothing has beat my RW trigger, but a Derrick Wall trigger job on a Ghost is definitely very close.
71615003107__BA1A9838-EC39-4A19-ABE5-9F3B2313D0B4.jpeg

Honestly don't think the Red Wolf has got enough valve size / volume to make an effective .30
In .177 / .22 / .25 there awesome.
Very interesting info and very helpful. Is this also true for the HP and safari versions?

Is the alpha wolf the same way or have they improved it to make 30 caliber feasible or are there better options?

Last edited:
I have both the .30 Ghost and .22 now converted to .25 RW. I absolutely love my RW. I prefer it over the .30 Ghost at the moment due to mostly the fact is I have thousands of rounds through my RW. I have not spent near the time with the Ghost as I have the RW. The Ghost is definitely a shooter though. Mine like the 50gr jsb at 865 ish over other pellets so far. The Ghost is definitely a power house though which is great! I definitely think the Ghost doesn’t feel as much as a bullpup as it looks and shoots. I don’t think you could go wrong with either but definitely prefer the .25 RW over the .22 for me. Either way you have got to let Derrick Wall @zx10wall put his magical touch on it. For me Nothing has beat my RW trigger, but a Derrick Wall trigger job on a Ghost is definitely very close. View attachment 391321
I don't think you've added enough weight! 🤣 honestly though I bet it's a super nice rifle to shoot off the bench. Shot cycle has to be smooth and minimal movement?

Reactions: okieairgunner
I don't think you've added enough weight! 🤣 honestly though I bet it's a super nice rifle to shoot off the bench. Shot cycle has to be smooth and minimal movement?
😂 I think I could fit some more on there! But your right shot cycle is very smooth and minimal on the bench. I use this gun for EFT and take off almost all the weight off. At 30 pounds total just too much to lug around. Now that I have gotten used to shooting heavier gun I hate shooting really light ones or guns that have no heft to them. To me it makes a world of difference having the guns on the chunky side.

Reactions: Dairyboy
😂 I think I could fit some more on there! But your right shot cycle is very smooth and minimal on the bench. I use this gun for EFT and take off almost all the weight off. At 30 pounds total just too much to lug around. Now that I have gotten used to shooting heavier gun I hate shooting really light ones or guns that have no heft to them. To me it makes a world of difference having the guns on the chunky side.
Interesting. I've only shot one HFT match and was thinking a lighter rifle would help me be steadier vs the heft pulling me and moving me around.

Reactions: okieairgunner
Interesting. I've only shot one HFT match and was thinking a lighter rifle would help me be steadier vs the heft pulling me and moving me around.
I guess it’s all down to personal preference really. Like Dairyboy stated above with more weight the shot cycle is very minimal even with taking about 20 pounds off.