One week of ownership: 177 Uragan Compact & a slug surprise

Well, as I stated in my other post my client never sent me the documents they wanted me to review, so I was nice and only billed half a day instead of a full day (contracted normal rate any work done in a day) for the previous work I did for them early this morning. So I had a half an afternoon to killed and I decided to head to the gun range (first time there), and it felt weird being at a formal gun range in such a long time. Was fun.

Anyways, my goal by going to the range was to see after a week how Shadow (177 Uragan Compact) was settling in (reg/hs) and barrel. I took the following ammo with me:

• JSB 10.34 gr. Heavy - 871 FPS
  • JSB 10.34 gr. Hades - 868 FPS
  • Precision Ballistics 10.3 gr. Makos - 851 FPS
  • JSB 10.03 gr. Knockouts - 862 FPS

The distances I shot were at 25 and 50 yards. Also, being at the range was the perfect spot for me to readjust the scope rings so I could mount the bracket for my SideShot mount on the scope.

The focus of the range time was to see what the “pellet/slug” drop was at 50 yards along with the accuracy. We’ve all seen lots of groups with the JSB heavies from Uragans, and well Shadow is no different, stupid accurate at both 25 and 50 yards. The surprise were the slugs, especially the Makos. The JSB KOs were decent and have potential. However, the Makos definitely are worth trying in the field, sadly I only have 50 left, so I will reach out to Geoff at PB and get in an order.

Below are the results of the makos at 50 yards. I do want to add @ctshooter told me that after a 300-400 rounds expect some fliers, and when I got home I found out why, the barrel was really leaded. Cleaning patches were 🤮. I will give it another go in a couple of days, however, I think even with a leaded barrel the Makos performed well. Again, 177 slug at 50 yards with a 5 and 6 shot group that fit under a quarter, almost literally. 

To end, of course, Shadow likes the pricey slugs of the bunch. 😫

FEF1F528-60C7-43D6-BA5E-7F8780C28491.1653019592.jpeg
37F4EC87-7DFF-43AA-ACE5-26A458F33305.1653019592.jpeg

Great looking group with the maki slugs. With KO I would suggest try slower speed. Thanks to the light weight and skirt like “cup” base they are quite tricky to tune, they seems to be really sensitive to muzzle blast so maybe try closer to 800FPS. also try NSA 12.5 grain, they can be very good if the barrel has enough twist rate, they don’t expand like the mako though. I got both mako and NSA to shoot close to same level of accuracy with FX 1:18 twist barrel so your gun should be able to shoot the 12.5 grain MSA. 

If you aren’t target shooting/plinking or just hunt with them then price isn’t that big of deal. 

My vulcan 3 like the 10.43 grain KO slugs A LOT more than my Maverick like them.

Still i am not going to procure more of them now that there are many more brands to choose from making 13 - 15 - 16 - 20 grain slugs.

Shot ( with Maverick ) this 5 shot group with the new H&N 16 grainers today ( + initial aim hole on the left ) at 86 Meters, 4 slugs made hole larger 5 shot flew thru hole not touching any metal.

5group.1653063805.jpg

Edit. My Vulcan 3 also like 12.5 and 15 gr NSA and the 13.43 gr KO slugs, actually the CZ barrel in the vulcan seem to like anything i throw at it, far more easy to play with VS my Maverick.

I used Beasts today to get to a start off point speed ( changed hammer and hammer spring yesterday ) as with the 600 mm barrel the Maverick still like the beasts, and .5 inch groups at 50 M are no problem.

@plingpling those are some impressive groups at 50 m with the beasts. My goal with how I have things are setup, if it works out and for now, is to have kind of a one stop shopping. Meaning, I want to be able to use both the Makos and the Heavies as needed. I.e. the wind picks up or I need a little more distance I can switch to the Makos with just a scope zero. In the future I will have another 177 for sure, but for now this is what I got.

@str8tshooter, you are welcome and I found that the Makos are also very explosive when I used them in my stolen Prophet Compact in 177. They are designed to be a sub 12 fpe slug, so the lead is softer than say the KOs thus when they impact they mushroom and energy dump really well. Tomorrow I will try to get to a local permission and try them in the field, I have 50 left. Geoff of PB responded this morning and will put together an order for me, and yes way too pricey for plinking.

@qball, thanks for the KO info. I did have good results with them, I think, and yes I have heard they like a bit slower speed and I thought the Makos would however, they did great as you can see. Now to see how they do in the field.

Just ordered 5 Bxs of 20 grains and 5 Bx of 13 grains which i think i will mostly be shooting,,,,,, from Zan which i think just now put them up on their page,,,,,, in case you want to grab some. https://www.zanprojectiles.com/177-4

Got 16 and more 13 gains ordered at Huma,,,,,, also zan

I dont think i would ever get to a situation where slugs would be needed for pesting, i think if i went there some day the hades will do just fine on "little" Danish farms. The 16 and 20 grains i have gotten ( saw Krale have some 20.5 grain NSA but pretty expensive VS Zan and H&N ) anyway those heavy ones will probably only see action on special occasions, the 400 PCS packaging of 13 grains seen more economic to me, and as i am on a pension i have to look at that too.