One Un-Lucky Squirrel

The squirrels were having a hay day at 36 degrees. I caught one in my front yard starting to dig for my electrical cable (that I have replaced many a time thanks to the tree rats). It ran to the back, so I setup for a little payback. Well as you can see from the video, this fat boy got very lucky! I have to wait for them to get on my property and to be on the ground so I have a good backstop. In this case, the neighbor's roof just doesn't work! I will patiently go out and wait for him to decide he wants to drop into my yard! I guess a little feed wouldn't hurt either!

I have to pass on shots often. It can be frustrating. I see squirrels almost every day in neighbors yards but I have to wait until they get hungry for the acorns and/or bird seed in mine. I fortunately have a big lake I can shoot towards but if they get close enough to the front yard I have to let them pass. My trajectory would be towards other houses which I don't do. I'd like to take them on the ground and used to be able to but I lost a big oak tree where I sometimes would get shots but now the only oaks have bushes around them where I can't see squirrels. So I wait for me or more likely my dog to see them briefly get above the bushes and then we go out. Ideally they run up one of my trees and I pick them off.

Well I'm actually not within the applicable air gun/firearm rules where I live. If anything shoots a projectile over 400 fps, it is considered a firearm. So I might have to go back to a BB gun! Well the cost of rewiring thanks to the tree rats has not been fun... especially when the wife's lights don't go on and I get yelled at to go and fix them! And I don't like putting out poison - which I can - as it is a very inhumane death - even to the tree rats.

What I didn't say was that I have the ATN on a .177 that is sub-20 fpe with a Hugget silencer that together is truly a "mouse fart" so that I do not raise any "eire" with my neighbors. With my luck, the cops would be called and I'd be taken to jail and the air gun confiscated! I'm saying that as I have called them to come out for a robbery and some homeless wandering in the past and it was like pulling teeth with rusty pliers and on all but one, they never came out!

The PCPs are so accurate and with careful thought as to a backstop and neighborly rights, one should be able to rid oneself of these pests without recourse. I have 2 neighbors that actually have asked me to get rid of the rabbits in their yard! I'd be willing to take a test - both written and shooting - to prove that I wasn't going to "wild west" the neighborhood!!!

I hate squirrels, dang destructive little critters. I shoot them 365 days a year if I see them. It's a shame squirrels aren't as easy to kill as carpenter bees. I load my own 22 shotshells for them with 17 grains of #12 shot a dab of candle wax to hold the shot, probably not even close to 250fps. I can shoot them on my deck anywhere, it doesn't dent the wood, scratch the windows(much less break them), or mark the siding at 8 feet. I do have to wear shooting glasses, a good bit of shot bounces back, kind of tickles the face. But it kills the heck out of the carpenter bees inside 12 ish feet.

Reactions: Pfddi