• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

One Squirrel By One Squirrel...

I was able to reduce my wire gnawing vermin by one again today. This one was one of those "delicate" shots. I have an open lot in front of mine where the city decided that they needed to have a flood plane drain, so they wacked the house and now it is my dog's permanent toilet! The squirrels have made it their home also. Routinely, they come over to bury their acorns and chew up the wire to the lighting in the front of my house. I have decided to "risk" mu exposure and "thin the herd." The shot was 78 yards with my 15" EVOL .22 with Huggett Snipe moderator using a JTS 18.1gr domed pellets at 977fps @ 37FPS. I have a Hawke AIRMAX 30 Compact 6-24x30 SFP scope on it. One shot to the head and it dropped with about 4 seconds of nerve twitch. Now I was inside my front door - which was held open with the latch on the pneumatic door closer - using my tripod and sitting. The EVOL barrel was 8" inside the door frame and was not visible unless you got within 50 degrees of the door to see it!
sq1.png

Last edited:
Seems like a high risk proposition, shooting across a road, a mention of walkers, neighbors not home? I see a vehicle and home beyond your squirrel kill. Simply not worth the consequences should something go wrong, like maybe a fast moving car, electric bike, etc. Better not to post publicly as your behavior can be interpreted as “risky and unsafe”. Good shot though…

Thanks, Luis. It's hard to see but I have an elevated shot where I am going from up to down and the fence is a secondary back stop. The cars you see are at about 150 yards away and the shot area behind the fence is also a water flood plane. This was a "rare" occurrence as I just got through paying to have my wires replaced again and was upset! Safety is always my first concern.

Reactions: L.Leon
@Dr. Kralenstein - Yes I am/was aware of the consequences. Momentary outrage at the squirrels! The shot was "not kosher" and I should not have posted it. I would remove it if I could...
All good, I'm not going to the fuzz lol. I've made a few shots that I should'bt have taken but knew I could. I hate squirrels, being an electrician, they give me some horrible work to fix. Climbing in a hot attic to junction wires isn't exactly my favorite part of the job.

Reactions: Pfddi
I’m often tempted to whack a chipmunk but there are constantly walkers in my neighborhood. For one of them to hear the shot and then see a chipmunk or squirrel flip flopping like a goldfish that launched out of his bowl. I’d be done. The local PD would probably take every gun I own.
A guy I know whacked a squirrel in his backyard with a bow. It wasn’t a kill shot. It ran off with this big ol’ arrow hangin’ out his hind quarter. He had to hide all his arrows that were all the same color. Not cool.
Just be careful.

Yes then you know my frustration! Unfortunately I have irradicated all that were in my back yard and the lights are in the front yard! LOL

The point was really to accentuate the EVOL and what a fine rifle it is! It is just great at 100 yards and under for pest control. With slugs and a tune one can go after the +100 yard shots!
I’ve had my eye on an Evol for some time. You aren’t helping.

I have 2 "toting" guns now for "field hunting" - a term I use for walking around all the time versus setting up in a blind or in a fixed position. The EVOL .22 and a PHC .25 are my "goto" now. For most of the small game - mostly pests - I use the EVOL as it is extremely dependable. So far, the PHC is also very reliable and can really pack a wallop in terms of fpe.

For 65 yards and under in settings that I need to be extra quiet and also very cognizant of my surroundings, I use my Daystate Wolverine R 177 - but its not a carry gun for me.

Waiting for the new AAA line to appear for sale. Might have to look into that new .257 with slugs. The problem is what to let go of in return! LOL