one ragged hole defined

Just for the hell of it......this is what I call one ragged hole. It's five shots at 50 yards at an indoor range with a .22 rimfire benchrest rifle I built, shooting off a one piece rest. It's definitely a moot point....but, I did have several people there watch me shoot it.....:)

IMG_0437 (1).jpg

If I shoot at my 100 yard target enough I‘ve had 1.5” ragged hole groups. But when I ever, which is rarely describe a ragged hole group I shot, I assign a caliber to the hole. Like last night I was shooting some slugs out of my P15 and shot a .40 caliber hole group at 75 yards. Can’t measure center to center but I can measure the hole. I just saw a one ragged hole in the classifieds that well, the dude wasn’t lying but it wasn’t what probably most guys would consider a true ragged hole group. I guess a ragged hole group is in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: Bigragu
A lot of youtubers use the splatter targets and call one hole groups but if they would take a real close up of the target most of them are not....to the unsuspecting I guess it looks impressive.....:)
Hence the reason I don’t use shoot n see type targets for my own shooting. I discovered this last year when Dave Larsen sent me a few targets to shoot at to help practice for RMAC and it was at that point I realized I needed a lot of work. Before that it was shoot n see’s and I thought I was a pretty darn good shot, lol. Shoot n see targets gives one a false sense of shooting ability. They have their place, though, and I still use them for quick sight ins or for dialing in a hunting platform, but definitely not for benchrest target practice.

What I have trouble with is the guys that come on here and say they’re hitting hole in hole at 75 yards, or even 80 yards. To me, hole in hole means just that, 10 shots look like one shot. The other day at 50 yards my impact was “stacking” shots, which produced a cluster that looked like a three petal flower, with a half of each petal laying over each other. I believe there’s a term for that. But definitely not hole in hole. I was ecstatic cause I hadn’t shot the impacts in a week, so no POI change.

But the guy that says hole in hole at 80? I call that BS as there’s no possible way unless the equipment warrants it and there is not one iota of wind, or shot indoors. And even with the high dollar equipment and no wind condition, the shooter himself must be stellar, way above the average.
Thomas Mike, who I consider to be a great target shooter, groups clusters that show at best a three shot ragged group in whereas there’s really 10 shots in there. A Ragged Cluster. Yes, use the right term. Hole in hole are guys shooting indoors in their basement during the winter and at best 25 feet away. Now that I’ll buy into.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mycapt65
Just for the hell of it......this is what I call one ragged hole. It's five shots at 50 yards at an indoor range with a .22 rimfire benchrest rifle I built, shooting off a one piece rest. It's definitely a moot point....but, I did have several people there watch me shoot it.....:)

View attachment 353729
Yup, me too.

Hence the reason I don’t use shoot n see type targets for my own shooting. I discovered this last year when Dave Larsen sent me a few targets to shoot at to help practice for RMAC and it was at that point I realized I needed a lot of work. Before that it was shoot n see’s and I thought I was a pretty darn good shot, lol. Shoot n see targets give one a false sense of ability. They have their place, though, and I still use them for certain reasons, but definitely not for target practice.

What I have trouble with is the guys that come on here and say they’re hitting hole in hole at 75 yards, or even 80 yards. To me, hole in hole means just that, 10 shots look like one shot. The other day at 50 yards my impact was “stacking” shots, which produced a cluster that looked like a three petal flower, with a half of each petal laying over each other. I believe there’s a term for that.

But the guy that says hole in hole at 80? I call that BS as there’s no possible way unless the equipment warrants it and there is not one iota of wind, or shot indoors. And even with the high dollar equipment and no wind condition, the shooter himself must be stellar, way above the average.
Thomas Mike, who I consider to be a great target shooter, groups clusters that show at best a three shot ragged group in whereas there’s really 10 shots in there. A Ragged Cluster. Yes, use the right term. Hole in hole are guys shooting indoors in their basement during the winter and at best 25 feet away. Now that I’ll buy into.
I agree with everything you just said....If someone is shooting outdoors in any conditions and they are shooting one hole groups consistently 80-100 yards, they better take their azz out to RMAC and show'em how it's done....:) I have a few acres of land where I live and I have a 50 yard range in my backyard with a concrete bench and I just recently cleared out in my woods a 50 yard and 100 yard range. I have been shooting a lot of 100 yards since getting my new MK3 and I can attest to how the least little wind plays havoc with these pellets at 100 yards....and I thought it was bad shooting rimfire...lol I've shot some really decent groups at 100 but nothing close to a ragged hole...lol

I agree with everything you just said....If someone is shooting outdoors in any conditions and they are shooting one hole groups consistently 80-100 yards, they better take their azz out to RMAC and show'em how it's done....:) I have a few acres of land where I live and I have a 50 yard range in my backyard with a concrete bench and I just recently cleared out in my woods a 50 yard and 100 yard range. I have been shooting a lot of 100 yards since getting my new MK3 and I can attest to how the least little wind plays havoc with these pellets at 100 yards....and I thought it was bad shooting rimfire...lol I've shot some really decent groups at 100 but nothing close to a ragged hole...lol
At my local 100 yard range I have yet to witness a “ragged hole” group from powder burners, most of the time I out shoot PB rifles at 100 yards with my little BB gun. Granted all the good shooters I know don’t go to the public side of the range.

Reactions: DBlue
Yes, but how long is a piece of string?

The forums encourage confirmation or validation bias. It (the forum feedback loop) feeds us a little dopamine kick when our posts get a reaction, be it good reaction or bad reaction.

That is the reason we, I mean "I" post such silly stuff. See me. I have important stuff to say or prove... Hear me. Validation is what we, "I" seek.

One ragged hole and pellet on pellet without some means of proof or verification is a moot point.
While it does make good conversation it is information that lacks value.
It's like catching a big fish without a picture. They say all fisherman are liars exceptme and you, and I'm not sure about you. I'm not sure that's true but there's certainly a good many liars on these shooting related forums. There's so many keyboard commandos out there that are so FOS it makes it hard for new people to have realistic expectations. This often leads to discouragement and loss of interest. Certain users and forums are worse with the lies than others.

Typical lies mess with, how many shots and distance values. Other famous flubs are hiding the flyer with a dime and cherry picking groups. Anyone can get lucky with even a ten shot group once in a while. If you want to prove anything show me a page of groups. A page of good three shot groups tells me more than one good ten shot group.

Unfortunately humans are imperfect and there's always some who's imperfections include character. On forums it's very hard to verify character without close person to person interaction.

View attachment 353729
I totally disagree with you here. Couldn't disagree more. That, my dear Watson, is not ragged at all. That, is pellet on pellet single hole.

Some great shooting there!!!

I learn somthing new again here at agn..
Sutch a welth of knowledge

"Using a coin to hide a flyer"... Now i can use that + shoot 10m group and say its 100y.. 😇.

Heck ya... Why didn't ithink of that?
"Heck ya... Why didn't ithink of that?" maybe your just not that type of person ?

Reactions: Hateful McNasty