one ragged hole defined

Have you ever seen someone describe their target as having shot into "one ragged hole"? To me "one ragged hole" is one hole slightly larger than the projectile diameter. IE, if your projectile is .250 inches in diameter; "one ragged hole" is NO more than .500 inches. If it is .501 inches then there is air or paper between hole punches and that is not "one ragged hole". It is at least two. I saw a guy on YT have a "one ragged hole" target that looked like a close range shotgun blast.

From my perspective, “ragged hole” is a deliberately imprecise term for casual conversation...somewhere a precise measurement is unknown, unnecessary, and unimportant. So I would resist the urge to assign a numeric value to it. But for it to have any meaning at all, I don’t know how it could possibly describe any group with unconnected holes.

It's not uncommon for my Royale 500 or Boss, when checking zero before hunting, to put the 1st 3 or 4 shots (off a Caldwell tripod) through the same hole as the 1st @ 50 yards. Whether MY ability to do so after switching to a bipod is another story, I'm still amazed by their repeatability after all this time. I would personally consider a "ragged" hole about a pellet & a half width (Whatever projectile is being shot)

From my perspective, “ragged hole” is a deliberately imprecise term for casual conversation...somewhere a precise measurement is unknown, unnecessary, and unimportant. So I would resist the urge to assign a numeric value to it. But for it to have any meaning at all, I don’t know how it could possibly describe any group with unconnected holes.
Similar to shooting OUT the STAR in an Arcade BB/ Zip gun challenge ... One ragged hole indeed if you can do it. Combined CTC about 3/4"+ :ROFLMAO:

I was going to come up with a smart ass response but decided against it. For me one ragged hole is one hole, that is ragged on the edges, no matter how big or small the "hole" is. I'm not in the Olympics here. Kind of like, if someone says they were shooting from 50 yards and it's really 48.5 yards my life still continues on the same path it was before their post.
By the way I was shooting at 75 yards and shot one ragged hole, it took 30 shots to get them all connected but it's still one ragged hole. LOL

Wow,I sure like nervoustrig explanation! Now let's go for "hole in hole"or pellet on pellet,better yet show me a picture, it's all good(y)
Tough crowd out there...LOL! I had to go back to Aug of '18 to find it but the "pellet hole in the wood" is a legitimate "one hole stack" 5 .25 cal pellets shot from sitting, not benched, at 22 yards...I cut the stack out of the wood for proof...Bobcat Mk2 on low power....it's posted somewhere....as for "one ragged hole" you folks make the call...I shoot a lot of groups...those splatterburst targets are a joke IMHO...I want to see exactly what is going on. Most groups I post are just examples of a particular guns cabilities...or pellets...never gave it much thought what to call groups maybe "center to center" measurement to be formal...Usually just a good example of a
1534081985_419147955b703bc1847859.70894290_thumbnail.jpg
20230124_181453.jpg
20230417_150614.jpg
20221102_144412.jpg
good bond between marksman and machine...leave the formal terms to the target/bench rest folks. Used to use the term "bug holes" for these types of groups in the old PB days, but they are "ragged holes"...LOL!

I was going to come up with a smart ass response but decided against it. For me one ragged hole is one hole, that is ragged on the edges, no matter how big or small the "hole" is. I'm not in the Olympics here. Kind of like, if someone says they were shooting from 50 yards and it's really 48.5 yards my life still continues on the same path it was before their post.
By the way I was shooting at 75 yards and shot one ragged hole, it took 30 shots to get them all connected but it's still one ragged hole. LOL
I like the guy that says yeah I got a 5/8" group, and then when you look he's got fliers that don't get counted. Lol

I like the guy that says yeah I got a 5/8" group, and then when you look he's got fliers that don't get counted. Lol
You just need to shoot more pellets in your group in order to connect them. Fliers are just shots to gauge the wind, they don't count.
I also like my spatterburst targets you bullies............lol

Last edited:
Tough crowd out there...LOL! I had to go back to Aug of '18 to find it but the "pellet hole in the wood" is a legitimate "one hole stack" 5 .25 cal pellets shot from sitting, not benched, at 22 yards...I cut the stack out of the wood for proof...Bobcat Mk2 on low power....it's posted somewhere....as for "one ragged hole" you folks make the call...I shoot a lot of groups...those splatterburst targets are a joke IMHO...I want to see exactly what is going on. Most groups I post are just examples of a particular guns cabilities...or pellets...never gave it much thought what to call groups maybe "center to center" measurement to be formal...Usually just a good example of a View attachment 353636View attachment 353638View attachment 353639View attachment 353644good bond between marksman and machine...leave the formal terms to the target/bench rest folks. Used to use the term "bug holes" for these types of groups in the old PB days, but they are "ragged holes"...LOL!

In my own personal opinion which is not important to any but me haha I cal the majority of these examples a clover grouping haha. I remember douger posting a video of some shots he was doing a while back and was wowed he was working on a 1 hole group and then bang the flier lit out haha. If I can achieve clover groups at fifty yards I am tickled with myself .

I have literally back put of a deal when some people said I bet it shoots hole in hole at fifty yards as I personally cannot repeat this and have extremely rarely ever done it with my shooting abilities haha. I cannot shoot on that level myself.

Reactions: .20calguy
I agree with the above, I’ve put 4 pellets through the same hole at 50 yards only to have the other 6 have a mind of their own. Ted said years ago, you can hide a gun’s faults in 3 shots, even 5 sometimes but you can’t with 10. I don’t get excited about a group until I get 10 shots at a measured 50 yards in a true 1/2 inch. That to me, is one ragged hole.

IMO a ragged hole is mainly a shape thing ( it must generally be round ) size of it matter too, but if you can shoot a 100 shot group at 50 and have a 3/4" round hole to prove it, well i will tip my hat too.
Outside of that you have clover leaf shaped holes / groups,but IMO that is more than a ragged hole, or like i seem very good at making horizontal line groups.

Reactions: scubajeeper
Sadly, "one ragged hole" is just another phrase that means next to nothing to me anymore. There have been cases where people have used that phrase to describe how their gun shoots and I have thought "wow, mine can't do that" when I have the same gun - then when pictures are posted I realize my gun can actually do better than that . . .

Reactions: swNCsw