• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

One Piece vs Two Piece...the tale of the tape.

Tommy...it's important to know, right away, that what's good for Rimfire may not be good for air and vice versa. I'm not a Rimfire shooter, so I can't say what they need from experience. I hear a lot of it, though. There are way more things going on in an air rifle that can screw up your shot compared to Rimfire. The strike, valve opening, valve closing, and even the volume of air moving inside the system can massively affect where the slug goes. It's a delicate balancing of these forces that make things work.

My slug gun prefers the rear bag to give a little. When I say pack ....I mean just that. Sand bags can pack up rock hard after a while...especially the ears. I get the best performance if I don't let the ears pack up. Lifting the back of the gun up and lightly setting it back down will keep the ears from packing up and becoming hard.

Mike

Yeah, I definitely here ya on the differences between RF and air rifles; especially as this relates to your last sentence in your first paragraph. RF is much more forgiving, especially at 100y. I guess that’s why I lean towards using the Annie’s for the ‘slugs in the rings’ at 100 challenge.

Thanks for clarifying ‘packing.’ I got it now.

Hey Tommy, will add my 2 cents with you shooting rimfire. First the front rest has to be level, including the top if one uses a regular front sand bag. Just because one has the platform level the bag bottom can be leaning a tad either side depending the fill used. When one is cocking and uncocking, overtime it can upset the bag if one uses a sandbag. I have a delrin block 3 inches wide with a level built in to make sure it is level.

The rear bag is also going to have to be solid on the bench no wiggling around. The rear bottom of your stock needs to fit nicely between your bag ears no wiggle side to side. You do not have to lift the rear of your stock each shot. I know for myself in the early years I purchased different style bags to find one that I like and fit my primary rifles. Some stocks have a wider rear bottom.

The key is everything needs to be level including your target and centered. Mike gave you sound advice in how he sets up the two piece. Will add one thing that I do for the front rest is making sure the middle post is centered using the horizontal knob to middle of target which is bull 13. The rear bag needs to be centered with the middle of you top that you are using.

Seb with his Neo rest would include a string you attach to the front stop to center your rear bag in correlation to both top and target, great idea. You might want to give that a try to locate where the middle is. I see many folks just throwing there stuff on the bench without any real purpose just to hurry and shoot.

One can shoot just as good in rimfire with a two piece vs a one piece.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Good tips Joe for my RF shooting.

So, line up my front post on the Randolph front rest with bull #13 to make sure I’m centered on the target. That makes good sense.

I’ve always wondered about these strings I see folks using at these N50 matches. Do you have a good picture of this set up by chance? I do notice my rear bag poops slightly out of alignment after several shots. The rear part of bag shifts right and I need to check after each shot.

Or, next time you are at a match maybe snap a picture if you get a chance.

Very helpful. Tx…Tom

The 2 scores differences are pretty insignificant. Despite the two piece posting a slightly higher x count...it may just as well be a little lower next time around. The one piece is like having adaptive cruise on a long trip compared to the two piece just being regular cruise. You might get where you're going a little faster with regular cruise...but you'll be paying more attention to things.

Mike
MY range used to have cement benches like shown in your pic . Beautiful level but a bit different height by maybe a total of 1 inch in the 20 benches . a few guys complained so the club tore them out and replaced with wooden ones that can be moved and twisted ,and unsquare to the targets, forward and back . what a shame .

MY range used to have cement benches like shown in your pic . Beautiful level but a bit different height by maybe a total of 1 inch in the 20 benches . a few guys complained so the club tore them out and replaced with wooden ones that can be moved and twisted ,and unsquare to the targets, forward and back . what a shame .

I also have cement benches at my local outdoor that are thru bolted into a cement floor. I have been going there for several years and never put a level on the bench. I will do next week, good reminder.

Thanks Lou… I didn’t think anyone would recognize either rest. It’s not perfect but it’s very adequate.
The last sentence is the important take away.

Lots of people believe that a simple rest setup cannot compete with a more expensive option. Many also believe that anyone using something simple and doing well must be doing it better...and if they could only afford the more expensive rest they would really teach everyone a lesson. This never plays out in reality. Ultimately, you're paying for convenience. Amongst similarly experienced shooters, the rest won't make the difference.

On the other hand....give a newbie a two piece and a one piece and he will probably do better with the one piece because their is less for him to screw up.

Mike

Reactions: Loufish
My slug gun is a little more forgiving off a welded steel bench with a wood top compared to the concrete.

Mike

“On the other hand....give a newbie a two piece and a one piece and he will probably do better with the one piece because their is less for him to screw up.”

Mike

This speaks to me.

I may try this one piece idea at some point for the reason you mentioned. Given I have been using the Accu-Tac bipod and rear Protektor bag and The Randolph front mechanical rest for four or five years, it might be worth consideration. I know both have pluses and minuses, but it’s worth thinking about.

This speaks to me.

I may try this one piece idea at some point for the reason you mentioned. Given I have been using the Accu-Tac bipod and rear Protektor bag and The Randolph front mechanical rest for four or five years, it might be worth consideration. I know both have pluses and minuses, but it’s worth thinking about.
You can buy one of these.

Mike

Reactions: Loufish and rrann