• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

One of three skunks last night

Thank you mark!!

To address some other comments....when do pest control, the farmers don't care how I get them, they just expect them to be gotten. That's not to say I am going be irresponsible in my shooting. If that were the case, I'd launch pellets at these skunks at 50 yds all the time and hope for the best.

Instead I work my way in so my shots are 20 to 35 yds and get as stable as I can for the shot. I've said this is in a few of my videos, "if only every shot could be this good." Believe me, if I could make every shot perfect, I would.

Here's the reality.....I'm shooting at animals that don't sit still for long or at all. I'm shooting from a less than ideal position, ie: off the hood, trunk or door of my car, off a trigger stick while kneeling, etc. And that's just what I deal with before I pull the trigger.

So when I make a less than perfect shot, I don't get down on myself for it. All I do is finish the job as quickly as I can. If it takes multiple shots before I'm satisfied that the animal isn't suffering, I don't see that as a bad thing.

One-shot kills are great, I have numerous examples of that, but there will always be shots that are less than perfect. As far as caliber.....I shot 16 skunks in one hour with a 53 ft.lb. Wildcat 25. Half of those required more than one shot....one took 5 shots before he stopped screaming. Two to the vitals, two the neck and the last one in the head.

A larger caliber is nice but it doesn't come with a guarantee.