One of the best airgun builds.

One of the best airgun builds ever...

I picked up my first .22 cal FX Royale 400 back in 2014(?) from Airguns of Arizona while I was searching for the next upgrade for my collection. At the time, I was shooting an AA S-510 and Wildcat but, I had heard about how good the R400's were and had seen the results, first hand, at Extreme Benchrest Competitions. So, I went for it!

FC77CAD9-2A15-4FE1-95F4-AED46695880B_1_201_a.1617853981.jpeg

It’s a decision that I haven’t regretted once, in all that time. I competed with the 400 at least once but, these days, it’s in its retirement. Now, it spends a lot of time locked up in the safe. I take it out once in a while to give it some exercise and make sure it’s not in need of anything like an o-ring or a barrel cleaning.

This R400 definitely sticks out with that beautiful stock on it! It didn’t come that way, though. That was a $650 upgrade (IIRC)!! It was tuned by Kip at AoA. I figured, if I was going to get one, I'd want it to be done right straight out of the box. I have never touched it since that initial tuning. I couldn’t tell you how fast it’s shooting. Probably 880-900 with the JSB 18's. When I took it out, about a week ago, it was giving me around 2.5” at 100 yards so, I knew something was wrong. After a quick cleaning with a Patchworm kit and some AoA cleaner/degreaser, it tightened right up! Right back to ~1” at 100. Understand, it’s pretty rare for me to have to clean it. The original ST barrel design was known for its accuracy and its lack of required maintenance. I might clean it once a year.

This isn’t my only R400. I liked mine so much that I have a 2nd one as a loaner for friends. It’s a little less accurate but, not enough that would be noticeable by anyone except experienced shooters. I think this is the 5th Royale I’ve owned over the years, including a .25 cal R500. I didn’t have much success with the 500. Again, I went for the wood stock for the loaner but, not a grade 2 option. Speaking of stocks, one of the most comfortable stocks I’ve ever shot from is the right hand specific Royale stock. It’s got a superb thumb shelf on it that will leave a lasting memory if you use one for any decent length of time! I picked up a spare RH stock that I toss on my loaner from time to time.

3661096E-F843-4F4A-AF08-4BED2A6DEFD0_1_201_a.1617854858.jpeg

6EF71D15-40E5-4DDF-9658-A9FBF97527CF_1_201_a.1617854944.jpeg

The scope is a Hawke Sidewinder 30 sf 6.5-20x44 with the 20X Half-Mil reticle (17150) being help up with some Sportsmatch ATP-61 adjustable rings. I have Ted Bier to thank for introducing me to this scope through some of his early videos. The simplicity of the design has always been a favorite of mine. So, I set my 2nd Royale up with the same thing, which I found, here, on AGN!

570161E0-B299-4D16-9D7E-3B92EF567CA7_1_201_a.1617855058.jpeg

I set both up with some Atlas Picatinny rails and Atlas PRS bipods. Those that know me, know I’m a big fan of Accu-Tac. But, I think the slim Atlas bipods accent the smooth lines of the Royale’s stock.

The Royale comes with a barrel shroud that works ok. I never really cared for the way it looked, though. I took both of mine off and screwed on some Huggett moderators. I’ve got a standard length on one and a shorty (Belita) on the other. I don't have any real "performance" reason for this. Most of my moderators are .25 cal and this was a way to avoid putting one of my few .22 moderators on a .25 rifle by mistake. The standard length is one that I won at 2016 EBR raffle with a custom end cap on it! They work great to keep things VERY quiet! Not quite Marauder quiet (except for on low power) but, not far off either!

7EF31369-CAA8-42E9-9C8D-EDD45FFCED89_1_201_a.1617855277.jpeg

A83D084C-2F4A-4C29-BBBF-2C774BE1A077_1_201_a.1617855273.jpeg

Both of mine are using carbon fiber bottles. Due to clearance issues, I had to sand out the RH specific stock since it was originally sized for the old steel bottles. I took my sweet old time with a Dremel and a sanding bit until things were how I wanted them. The CF bottles allow for a higher shot count and a lighter weight compared to the old steel bottles. So, what is the shot count? I don’t know. I haven't counted it in years and I no longer use the magazines, unless I’m going out for pest elimination. All I can tell you is that it seems like I’ve shot a hundred times before I check the pressure. I’ll generally refill around 150 bar since that’s where it falls off the reg. Originally, I used the magazines but, I thought they were annoying to load and I didn’t like the pauses I had to take while shooting to reload them. It was the Royale that started me down the path of being a magazine free shooter. I forced myself to become an expert in single-loading pellets quickly and accurately. Anyone who’s seen me speed shoot at EBR could tell you how fast and efficient I am. The single shot tray that I use is one that I found on Ebay. It is, hands down, the absolute best single shot tray ever made for the Royale! But, sadly, it looks like the designer no longer sells them. I’m glad I picked up a few spares while he was still making them! 

EDCC3396-8551-401F-8C5E-5B2DE65A833C_1_201_a.1617855457.jpeg
4C2E105D-D897-48CD-8869-495079343FD0_1_201_a.1617855532.jpeg
FA36DEC4-AE6A-49C4-9583-38793B55DA44_1_201_a.1617855630.jpeg

What makes the R400 so easy to shoot is the lighter weight hammer spring and how smooth the action works. Add the accuracy on top of that and, these rifles are just a joy to own! With all the advancements in design and technology, these rifles get talked about less and less. But, there’s just something so simple and easygoing about the R400’s.

During that recent shoot, I mentioned above, I checked my zero at 50 yards by stacking one hit on top of another. After that, I moved a little and started hitting the 1/4 framework of the spinner target. I did that for a few shots, painting lead across the bar, and then moved out to one of my home made bell targets (old steel air cylinders cut in half). They’re out at 65, 70, and 75 yards. I smacked them at the very bottom edge, which makes them send out a terrific ring! After the ring settled down, I started aiming at just the very top curved edge of the "bells". This gives me a light ring and a great ricochet “ZIIING”. Next, I moved to my 100 yard metal target, which has a 3/8” hole drilled in the center. I thought, “it should hit riiiiight about here.” I didn’t get through the hole (on the first try) but, I landed the first shot within 1/4”. Outstanding! But, that’s what happens when you’ve shot a rifle thousands upon thousands of times. Eventually, I put one through the center hole. It probably took me 8-10 shots to get it. I sent a few out to my 150 yard target rock and was surprised at the size of the group. It’s nothing to brag about, probably around 6” or so. But, neither the rifle nor the pellets were made for shooting at that distance. So I was happy with it. I’m almost bottomed out on the reticle doing this so, I moved in to my 125 yard target rock. I noticed it was slightly obscured by the tip of a tree branch. Sure, I could shoot around it or, maybe I could try my luck at hitting it? I gave it the ‘ol squinty eye and thought, “Looks like somewhere between 65 and 70. I think that’ll hit right about here on the reticle.” Settle… calm… exhale… squeeze… and I watched as that branch was cut in two and fell to the ground! I was cracking up laughing! I couldn’t believe I nailed it on the first try! LOL!

This R400 is one of those rifles that I will just never part with.

Happy Shooting!

Tom

Right there with you pal! Got my Royale 500 when the wait time on a (then) new Crown was 8 months! So glad I was in "I want a new gun" mode so badly I couldn't wait & ordered the Royale 500. Year & a half later I got a used Boss. Now they're the only guns I own & they check EVERY box for me. IMHO the most solid, stable, accurate and trouble free platform FX has ever made! Phenomenal airguns. 

IMHO the most solid, stable, accurate and trouble free platform FX has ever made!

I completely agree! I think the Royale is the best rifle FX has ever produced. That includes comparing it to all the recent models. Although, I think there is slight accuracy improvements in recent years.
I thought the Crown would be a Royale blended with an Impact, but I found the Crown to be too much of a change to be at the same level as a Royale. The Crown feels heavier and is more complex. I’d part with a Crown before I’d part with a Royale... and that’s exactly what I’ve done! lol

Great write up Tom!

I am also a R400 owner. I sometimes think of selling mine and I did list it once and soon took it down for the low offers wanting to give it away.

One feature that doesn’t seem to really be appreciated by their owners is the three position power wheel. 3 very useable power levels, repeatable and accurate at each setting. I use low or medium power to kill targets at 40 yards and under PLUS the lower power setting don’t use as much air for more shots on a fill. Plus they are much quieter at the lowest levels and allows me to shoot in the night without disturbing the neighbors.

I had that same scope on mine until just a few days ago when I swapped it out with the HELIX I had. I love that Hawke scope, I just wish the turrets were a bit crisper and lower profile. That scope is pictured here.

A very nice upgrade for the Royale line is to swap out the cocking lever and handle for a Streamline/Impact lever and handle. It will be a slightly shorter throw and with the new handle it will bring it back and down some to make it closer to the trigger hand (right hand shooters). It’s well worth the extra $ and effort to make the upgrade. 

E23C56DA-AB5D-49D4-A9AE-524D1A9405C5.1617938273.jpeg
B426F45E-6807-4A98-A068-7C0C14C7E0B0.1617938274.jpeg
740E4E92-2829-4A31-B28D-B65331EF1AE0.1617938661.jpeg
5811DB37-5619-4079-8803-7D2A365E21C2.1617938682.jpeg

Tom, here are my two 500's and my 400 on the bottom with a 580cc bottle. I am in San Diego now shooting at dairies. My friend Todd has at least ten different airguns to shoot. I chose a FX400. It's a laser.

Lovely collection! It looks like you're a fan of the RH specific stocks too. The ambidextrous stocks are nice but, the Right or Left specific ones are a real treat to use! Good gosh, a 580 CC bottle must provide a boat load of shots!!! Have you ever counted how many it gives you? I'm a little surprised you didn't put it on one of the 500's (not that it would be difficult to swap out). 

I also see that you have 2 out of 3 stock moderators. Did you have to move the mod forward on the 400 to fit the 580cc bottle?

If someone lined up all the FX rifles that have ever been produced, and told me I could only shoot one, I'd go straight for the 400! ;) 

Tom

My oldest PCP is my R400. Mine is in .22 caliber and stays on the high power setting. My R400 is second to none of my other PCP's, two of which are Daystate Wolverines (.22 and .25), one is an m-rod (.22) and 2 more are Air Venturi Avengers (.22 and .25- my newest PCPs).

If FX offered an R400 in .25, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

My oldest PCP is my R400. Mine is in .22 caliber and stays on the high power setting. My R400 is second to none of my other PCP's, two of which are Daystate Wolverines (.22 and .25), one is an m-rod (.22) and 2 more are Air Venturi Avengers (.22 and .25- my newest PCPs).

If FX offered an R400 in .25, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

They do it's called a R500 (you can always put a 400cc bottle on if you wanted) I had one as my first PCP.