One of my first loves...TX200 MK3 .177

As a young man, I used to fly fish. When that interest faded, I gravitated back to my long time passion (since childhood) of spring powered air rifles. After a couple quality break barrels I ended up buying a used TX200 MK3 in .177, it had a brass cocking aid and was tuned to shoot nearly 16fpe. I still remember the original owner’s name, city and FT club that he frequented on occasion (no longer around: Kermit Airgunner Club out of Texas).

That rifle got shot A LOT and underwent 2 different tuning states before I settled for a V-Mach kit set up at 13.5 fpe. Later on it would have a lower powered (sub 12fpe) tuning kit and even went on to be professionally tuned by Paul Watts, who did AMAZING work on that rifle. A couple California state FT championships were won with that rifle as well as a Nationals title.

The TX200’s are very nice springers, and over the years I’ve had an opportunity to own them all, from TX200 MK1s (standard & Semi-Recoiless), MK2 (standard & Semi-Recoiless), MK3 (pre-fishscale and current stock design, USA power spec and UK sub12fpe spec rifles), as well as a nice customized Hunter Carbine (JM FT Dominator with jeweled compression tube). Many professionally tuned, others with custom tune kits/lightweight or skirt less pistons/modified piston to accept an HW piston seal and some were maintained “as is” with OEM internals. At one point I had 6 in my stable, but over the years have probably owned well over a baker’s dozen. I say this not to boast. I’m intimately familiar with TX200’s; that’s my point.

Besides FT, I hunted CA ground squirrels 🐿 , did pest control hunts, hunted squirrel and rabbit, shot paper and on occasion shot a silhouette match with them. Enjoyed thoroughly, for varied applications!

Of course, variety is the spice of life, and in recent years I became more and more interested in the 97k platform. 

Fast forward to the present time and while appreciating a nicely figured beech stocked U.K. spec MK3 in .177 of mine, I decide to scope it with a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32X40 and shoot it a bit at 30 yards. I knew that this rifle favored 7.9 gn pellets over 8.4gn efficiency wise, so I used some JSB 7.9 Express. In stiff wind I got it roughly sighted and was pleased to see some dime and nickel size groups forming at 30 yards from a seated FT position. It all started to come back to me: the tactile sensation throughout the cocking stroke, the muscle memory, the shot cycle feel and of course the accuracy. Yes, the accuracy. Felt familiar, felt good.

Yesterday I lined up and sent a shot on a 1/2” KZ at 30 yards. The feeling of seeing that faceplate fall made me remember the “magic” of these rifles, after all, I began shooting FT years ago with a TX200 MK3, albeit with a more powerful spring, more preload and a more constricted transfer port😉.

This morning in calm conditions with a slight breeze I shot some groups at 50 yards at a target located on the mountainside. I already knew this rifle was accurate, but now I felt that connection being reestablished. All smiles! To be honest, the OEM internals for the a) long stroke of the MK3 piston and b) sub 12fpe power do not offer the ideal shot cycle feel but the results speak for themselves. This particular TX200 MK3 was very recently rebuilt. Compared to the first shots I have already noticed less surge now that is has about 125 shots through it. Still breaking in😉, but very much a thoroughbred.

I’ll post a video of this one later, LOL. “The magic!” Yesterday’s 30 yards seated shot at a 1/2” KZ target. Felt like a kid all over again.

1587141447_10718898645e99db47043d69.84886608.jpeg

Tight shiny cluster forming, right of center (resettable at 50 yards)

Y
1587141447_5518704575e99db47d196a3.51569888.jpeg

50 yards, 5 shots seated.

1587141449_14592431525e99db49318f69.92162752.jpeg

No dime in pocket, but how about a flattened pellet for reference
1587141451_21050649345e99db4b4d6399.50714063.jpeg

Aim point was the star ⭐️. 7 shots here: 6 shots near, one bad shot low. Didn’t like the low shot so shot an extra pellet to make up for it.
1587141453_17877091225e99db4d1077c4.45052299.jpeg

5 shots
1587141454_1810407155e99db4e5ccc13.84640411.jpeg

Gonna pull my ad now. First the magic, then the connection. How could I let it go?

1587143284_17599146405e99e2747c6031.99433346.jpeg

1587147001_7277823395e99f0f96e43b6.88501484.jpeg

Greetings from Concord! Nice rifle! I always enjoy seeing your guns, and reading the stories that go with them!

Just so you know there are a few of us here still carrying on the springer tradition. Most all shoot PCP's now, but I don't let them forget about the possibilities of the spring gun. I've owned 2 TX's and a prosport. Still have one, bought it as a refurb from PA. Ain't no bugs on it, just a plain Jane with a cheap ass Vortek kit. 40 yds with the Concord winds, you remember those right?

Like hooking back up with your high school sweetheart!!!

That is one nice example of a TX there my friend...ive only owned one in all my years of shooting and it was a Mk111 in .22 but a seriously accurate and smooth shooting machine...especially after installing a TbT kit from merry old England !

I fell off the wagon hard a few years ago and went to the dark side and PCPs started to rule the roost...sold it and several others I now wish were still in my stable but I'm on the comeback now...lol. 

Still do most of my hunting with PCPs but the challenge and pure enjoyment of shooting springers is calling me back!

Nice shooting brother!!!

James from Michigan 

1587147001_7277823395e99f0f96e43b6.88501484.jpeg

Greetings from Concord! Nice rifle! I always enjoy seeing your guns, and reading the stories that go with them!

Just so you know there are a few of us here still carrying on the springer tradition. Most all shoot PCP's now, but I don't let them forget about the possibilities of the spring gun. I've owned 2 TX's and a prosport. Still have one, bought it as a refurb from PA. Ain't no bugs on it, just a plain Jane with a cheap ass Vortek kit. 40 yds with the Concord winds, you remember those right?

I remember those winds. Miss shooting there, and on the archery range, too. Question for you: do you remember when we were squared together and you knocked down several steel critters with my TX200 SR? Had a blast that day.

Glad you’ve stuck with springers. I never tire of them, even after all these years.

Like hooking back up with your high school sweetheart!!!

That is one nice example of a TX there my friend...ive only owned one in all my years of shooting and it was a Mk111 in .22 but a seriously accurate and smooth shooting machine...especially after installing a TbT kit from merry old England !

I fell off the wagon hard a few years ago and went to the dark side and PCPs started to rule the roost...sold it and several others I now wish were still in my stable but I'm on the comeback now...lol. 

Still do most of my hunting with PCPs but the challenge and pure enjoyment of shooting springers is calling me back!

Nice shooting brother!!!

James from Michigan

High school sweetheart- that had me laughing bro, but I won’t get into that🤣🤣.

Like duckfish said, you can always come back (from the dark side). LOL You know it’s all good, as long as you’re enjoying it. You’re definitely on the comeback. Strong! Keep ‘em coming my friend!

Nice shooting you guys. Hey Al, next time we meet up we should both shoot springer FT! I still have my TX200, HC & Pro Sport. I still love the challenge of springers. My goal is to set the club outdoor BR record. It sets at 702 and my best so far is 684. I found some new fodder in the QYS 8.9 gr in my HC, shoots better than the JSB. So can't wait till all this BS is over with and we can all get back to the range and compete. Be well.

JohnnyPiston....the consummate story teller. This took me back to the old Yellow when I looked forward with bated breath to reading your hunting stories. The Nationals that you won with that rifle was my first....Frederick, Maryland......was I humbled by the winds. A nor’easter was blowing through. I remember thinking, “how the heck can this kid shoot a springer so well in these conditions?” Ten years later, I want to congratulate you on that win once more....that was some world class shooting. 🍻 

JohnnyPiston....the consummate story teller. This took me back to the old Yellow when I would looked forward with bated breath to reading your hunting stories. The Nationals that you one with that rifle was my first....Frederick, Maryland......was I humbled by the winds. A nor’easter was blowing through. I remember thinking, “how the heck can this kid shoot a springer so well in these conditions?” Ten years later, I want to congratulate you on that win once more....that was some world class shooting. 
1f37b.svg

Big D! Maaannn your post brought me right back to Maryland, 2010. I believe the Nats were in Damascus? I remember wanting to eat crab cakes, but that never happened. Went out with some of the guys and we had sushi. Sushi in Maryland, what were we thinking? LOL

Bro, so glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for your kind words my friend. 🥃 🥃 🍻