One more nutter to round out the weekend

I had the motion sensor on almost all weekend, and a caught a couple little buggers after the bird food. This little guy was the latest. 

I had spent the afternoon developing a range card for the S510, from 10 yards out to 40. (Would you believe it's zeroed from 13 all the way to 30 yards!?) The tricky bit is that at 10 and 11 yards, it's 1 MD hold-over, and at 12 yards, it's only 0.2 MD hold-over, and would you guess where this guy showed up? Yep, just beyond 11 yards. I held for half a mil dot and let 'er rip.

"POK!" and he face-planted. It wasn't long before the back legs got confused for lack of instructions coming from the microprocessor. He flopped around for maybe 10 seconds and that was that. I couldn't find the entrance wound until I skinned him, and I had to skin his head to find it! I thought at first it had gone right in the ear hole, as I couldn't find anything else.

When I did find the entry, I was happy to note it was just where I was aiming, right at the brainstem. Entered just behind and below the right ear. Exit was between the eye and ear on the other side. Scrambled up the fuse box pretty well, I think.

Retrieval video:

The attached pix are annotated, with the pellet path illustrated by a stainless steel chopstick.

4c0b525ed1af41dceb8ae01e0a29511a.jpg

7338619fcfa91aec2669deced254b64a.jpg

887d6c73325faae71c76c72332908729.jpg

9375b3505b4e3e804e1aa491176b9716.jpg

Here's my S510 with a couple of previous nutters, which have already been eaten. It's shown here with the Hawke Vantage 4-12x50, for which I made the range card at 10X zoom and Power 2/5 with JSB 18s. (705 fps @ ~ 20 FPE) They've been punching straight through the noggins. Haven't had to take a body shot with them yet, but I expect they'll do OK, even at 40 yards.
c61ad4d0894d871a1fa55814f7bcc18f.jpg

One more for the freezer. I still have a gallon bag of them from the hunting trip a couple months ago, and I'm one nutter below my possession limit. Not bringing individual sandwich baggies was a mistake, now they're all frozen together. Once thawed, I can't freeze them again. I'm gonna have to make a bit stock pot full of squirrel chili, I guess...

Oldspook, yes, it is a fine rifle. I finally decided to sell the tuned, PCP'd Hammerli 850 for it, even though it was a technically superior rifle. (I don't need two .22 PCPs) It was regulated at 25-28 FPE, and also very accurate and quiet. It got 80+ shots to the fill. This one gets about 40 shots to a fille at 30 FPE, but is much "nicer", to look at anyway. Yes, go out and get some nutters for the pot. I think you have a .25 Marauder, right?

"MOSINMARINE"Great shooting jeremy! U saving the hides?? You should have a blanket by now! hahaha
It's tanning them that turns me away. I could have a whole parka by now. I've read some procedures that say it's not hard to do, and other ones that made it sound like a royal pain in the butt. Some say all you have to do is scrape the inside, then load them up with salt for awhile. Others say chemicals are needed and a more involved procedure.

Have you ever done one?