One hole group challenge - smallest group size

Shot with my PISTOL & off my knee with shooting sticks .. hunter FT style.

a.jpg

Last edited:
looks like the larger measurement is vertical in this last bottom picture ? but could be the rip you said ?
Looking really closely again I’m thinking it’s a bit larger than where I have the inside of the calipers.
It’s a larger hole than the measurement because of how I held it, easy to see now that I look at it.

Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Figured I'd try 20y this morning , saddly just got to yank one off

So 1-3/10 mm thank to "the one"..lol

R9,irons, 20y, cphp177

View attachment 311065
Really fine shooting at 20 yards!
And iron sights?? Wow. Congratulations you are obviously very familiar with your rifle!

Really fine shooting at 20 yards!
And iron sights?? Wow. Congratulations you are obviously very familiar with your rifle!
Thanks..
50y is my fav everyday most shooting range. Some days there in then some there just not or if i hold my mouth just right.

So moved out some to 30y . Not so bad but the thing i cant seem to fix is " the one". Seems to never fail i do that and blow a good grouping. Not fliers cause i near can group the Miss if i keep going. Id assume a flyer would be more random all over . I figure its my old tired eyes or hold lazy..
Not to say its great or anything ...30y same everything else. Also the lolly post broke off the insert and i glued it back in best i could . Lol

da1again.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 450BM
Thanks..
50y is my fav everyday most shooting range. Some days there in then some there just not or if i hold my mouth just right.

So moved out some to 30y . Not so bad but the thing i cant seem to fix is " the one". Seems to never fail i do that and blow a good grouping. Not fliers cause i near can group the Miss if i keep going. Id assume a flyer would be more random all over . I figure its my old tired eyes or hold lazy..
Not to say its great or anything ...30y same everything else. Also the lolly post broke off the insert and i glued it back in best i could . Lol

View attachment 311137
Ha ha! I like that “hold lazy”! I definitely get hold lazy quickly because of a fused neck and bad eyes.
We are most certainly having a ton of fun though 😊

A5728DC7-2B79-4C2E-95B4-E9395F42907B.jpeg
Today I got out my favorite long range pistol (if you can call it that lol) to shoot the one hole challenge.
It’s a Steyr LPS that was customized by Allen Zasadney. He joined the two tubes it came with and then made a shroud to make it extremely quiet.
Shooting JSB 10.34 domed pellet at about 840 fps if I remember correctly.
10 yards off of stacked bags so gun is bedded in the bags and rock solid.
The gun is so accurate that I believe anyone could shoot like this when settled in bags like I’m shooting from.
The aim points are the dots below the groups.
I like the clean holes of the 7 grain wad cutters, but they are not as tight as the JSB 10.34’s.
I want to try heavier wad cutters with this long pistol and see how it goes.
What a great way to spend a winter afternoon.
B36944CC-34A9-4966-8031-92AFE1334126.jpeg
E3FA9CCC-20ED-4CD8-BEBE-FABDEA045617.jpeg

View attachment 311258Today I got out my favorite long range pistol (if you can call it that lol) to shoot the one hole challenge.
It’s a Steyr LPS that was customized by Allen Zasadney. He joined the two tubes it came with and then made a shroud to make it extremely quiet.
The gun is so accurate that I believe anyone could shoot like this when settled in bags like I’m shooting from.
I like the clean holes of the 7 grain wad cutters, but they are not as tight as the JSB 10.34’s.
View attachment 311252View attachment 311253
Hello @davelarson

That is some pretty fancy shooting two nice looking pistols.

ThomasT

Reactions: davelarson
I’ve been shooting but nothing to show yet. I need to build a small table for my bench. Now I’m using a cushioned stool that is too low and it really hurts my neck. Hmm, now that I’m thinking about it, maybe I just need to put the stool on a platform because it’s not bad as a rest. I really don’t need another piece of furniture in my way..

View attachment 311258Today I got out my favorite long range pistol (if you can call it that lol) to shoot the one hole challenge.
View attachment 311252View attachment 311253
Nice groups. You’re right, this is fun. And for me comforting.

Things as this i prefer / more fun over them " challanges".

Especially i dont have to print " official" targets. Last i printed 10 up for the 50foot one and sucked all my ink down . That stuff aint cheap and pretty much lose of intrest in doing them . Like if i draw a 1 inch circle how is it different than a 1 inch "official" . Dead center is dead center on each so to say, right? Then most are not irons shooter use friendly.

Like davlarson above drawed dots .. i think ive shot enugh to look at that and determine a result from it .. you know take that ink or store target money and put it towards more pellets and shoot em up.....lol.

anyway a shootem thread like this here is by far more everyone friendly. Do your own thing himg and keep em tight...... If you can 😉

This is indeed a fun challenge, and it’s easy to get a lot of five shot groups into a little card.
And like rsfrid said, it’s comforting to spend time doing this, definitely like a very pleasant meditation.
Even thinking about the next session is pleasant.
What a gift, shooting really accurate guns quietly and cleanly in the HOUSE 😲.
I also like the other challenges with one shot at each bull, it may use a lot of targets but it also gives you a clean look at the finished card.
And most often after I’ve shot a card that isn’t good enough to save, I’ll keep shooting it for practice.
I shoot five shot groups at the points where the lines around each target cross each other, it gives you a tiny aim point for practice.

Morning coffee shot are my fav's. Its the caffeine i cant do without..

Ya, having a clear distinct aim point goes a long way..

Heres a 50' . Darn overnight poi change or somthing. I find that its my biggest waste of good pellets overall. Damp and humid this morning i guess ? ( Or need another pot or 2 of strong black coffee)

r9,50_,poichange.jpg

Last edited: