One hole group challenge - smallest group size

For a nice indoor ( or outdoor) winter challenge, how about shooting for smallest overall group size possible. I propose the following:

1. Minimum 15 feet distance from shooter to target
2. Any airgun platform you care to use. Optics ok.
3. 5 shot groups on paper or card stock
4. Either 177 or 22 caliber.
5. Score by measuring outside overall group diameter in millimeters.
6. Keep it safe - don't shoot the fridge or the cat!

Your "target" for group size would be 4.52 in 177 cal and 5.52 in 22.

Here's my target sheet for today. My entry is lower right target (all the others sucked 🤣) I am shooting 177 cal from 6 yards (I am trying to keep in sync with the NRA targets I use which are 15 feet/5yds.)

C9EC78A3-980C-4853-BFCD-5E35C73B8C0A.jpeg

Have a good time and hurry up summer!

You are absolutely correct. A bandaid would work or a magic marker. We don't need no fancy targets, just small holes.
Thanks.. just curious..😉

Quick before the sec game starts and rain 15meter, R9, cphp.177, stock iron sight ( no peeping). Seems i tend to wander right 🤔

groupr915m.jpg

Last edited:
It’s .262” from edge to edge.

Mike
6.65mm Is that a 22? If so, perfect score would be 5.5-5.52mm. That's nuts for 50 yds. but that's why we're staying in close. One hole groups are pretty impossible statistically so better chances at 15-20 feet. Still pretty impossible, tho. Just good practice and good drill for indoor 25 yard BR.

Last edited:
Well I failed last night at the one hole group, but here’s my attempts at 5 yards.
My aim points are the little dots above the groups. That way I don’t shoot away the aim point.
Lots of fun.
Until Mike shows up… just kidding 😊
View attachment 310793
And I just improved my first entry by a lot!
What do you think about this group, look at where I drew the arrows. They are pointing to a tear (or pellet cut), if it’s a tear then it’s a true one hole group.
But if it’s a pellet edge cut then it’s just close to a one hole group.
What do you guys think?

D58A1792-B3CC-4E40-A5F1-24E8CA0DEC84.jpeg

EA34F53A-9E3C-4B62-991A-82FCE17F6419.jpeg

C8A41795-BDB8-4937-8C7F-218D07D9DF26.jpeg

And I just improved my first entry by a lot!
What do you think about this group, look at where I drew the arrows. They are pointing to a tear (or pellet cut), if it’s a tear then it’s a true one hole group.
But if it’s a pellet edge cut then it’s just close to a one hole group.
What do you guys think?

View attachment 310796

View attachment 310797

View attachment 310798
Looks good to me. Overall dimension? This exercise is all about muscle memory and training, so any improvement is a good thing. Nice shooting.

Hello @rsfrid

OK Ross, this is my first attempt using my Diana Bandit and a Hawke Scope that I mounted this morning. I shot this at a measured 25-feet because that is the closest that I could focus with this scope. My best score is .308" on target #3. Please note target #2 is just two shots, one on top of the other so I stopped, did not want to mess that up. As you can see from the photo, I shot from inside my house to my outside target. I forgot it's supposed to be in MM, so my .308" is 7.823MM

This is HARD

ThomasT
One Hole-100.jpg
One Hole-101.jpg
One Hole-102A.jpg

Last edited: