Once you're well set with PCP, is there merit to buying a low-cost springer?

I have an Impact and I have a Rapid Air TM 1000 on order....I also have 6 HW30'S. I shoot the 30's 3or4 times a week. There is nothing as fun than shooting these guns just for the joy of plinking. The HW 30 doesn't require any special hold you have to master. Most of mine shoot Crosman PL as good as any other pellet. If you have 25 -30 yards to shoot, you will be amazed by how accurate these little guns are. That's why most people buy one and never get rid of it. PCP'S come and go but the spring piston guns are forever classics. I just bought a TX 200 in walnut from Mr. Troyer. Gonna give WFTF piston a try just for fun this coming year also. The HW 30 is a smart choice. If you don't enjoy it they seem to sell pretty fast in the classifieds. 

I guess I'm double "touched". I shoot springers in 25 meter bench rest and PCPs at 50 yard and further targets. My springers can't be considered low cost as they are a Walther LGU and a Walther LGV; both in .177. Oddly enough, I'm a better spring gun shooter than I am a PCPer. 

I'm not a hunter as I'm more into store bought meat and I won't kill it if I'm not going to eat it. Hence, I'm not sure how you'll feel about a springer since it takes a bit of time and effort to learn how to shoot them accurately (that is dime size groups at 25 yards or better).

Note as an aside that I have no problem with legal hunting and/or pest elimination.

Basically, I think springers are great if you like the discipline they require (not that accurately shooting PCP's is easy).

Springers are so great (to me) in fact, that I'm ready to put out 2K (+ or -) for a Sterling T-16 if, and when, they come to market. Of course,after buying a Red Wolf High Power, 2K is a deal.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B.

I currently have 4 high end PCP rifles, and love them all. I also have a HW97 spring gun, a .177 with 12 fpe Vortek kit. I don't shoot it a lot, but it's fun, and I can miss equally well with all of them. Occasionally, I will take trip somewhere that might afford some plinking opportunity, but it's not a "shooting" trip, so it's nice to throw in an air rifle without the need for the ancillary support equipment that the PCP requires. I should add, for back yard squirrel control, the 12 fpe spring gun gives up very little to the more powerful PCP rifles. However, it is, indeed a different animal, and it is not as easy to shoot (well). 

Yes, you need a springer. They will make you shoot your PCP's much more accurately. I spent the first 7 months of the year obsessively shooting springers 90% of the time. I would shoot them 3-4 times a week as an actual practice regimen. When I finally got it out of my system about 2 months ago and went back to my Field Target PCP, I could shoot it more accurately than I ever could before-better trigger control, less swaying/more steady, etc. A springer is about the best training gun you can have. Spending time shooting springers reminds me of the concept of wearing ankle weights and weight vests during basketball practice back in high school. It is much easier to run, jump, and move in general without the weights, when you are used to doing all that with the weights. Springers are almost like a deliberate handicap to improve your shooting. When you go back to shooting a recoil-less PCP, the difference is astounding, it feels much easier to place that pellet right where you want it and get the trigger to break at the perfect time in conjunction with you natural movement.

You might take a look at an HW50s. They are slightly bigger than the 30 and slightly more powerful to really reach out there (for a springer). I've been through a handful of springers, including two different specimens of the new FWB Sport and one of the the laminate stocked HW77k. Both of those guns are in the higher end, price-wise, of what you can spend on a springer. Neither of them held a candle to my little HW50s. I spent a considerable amount of time and money trying to make the 77k shoot like the 50s but with a little more juice. I finally got it to shoot very accurately, but it still wasn't as easily obtainable as it is with the 50s. Other than FWB 300s recoilless 10m guns, the HW50s is the only springer I kept, and it will stay that way for the foreseeable future. The 50s has a VERY quick "lock-time" due to a shorter stroke than most other HW guns. That quick lock-time makes it much less hold-sensitive, in my opinion. It also has the 26mm compression tube, which allows that short stroke to produce enough power to shoot accurately out to a decent distance.

I think the 30 is more of a youth-sized rifle and anything past about 30 yards is going to get pretty loopy.

I can occasionally shoot 3/4 inch groups at 55 yards with my 50s, mostly attributable to the gun's engineering as mentioned above. 

Just get a cz634 for plinking....easy to cock and very accurate . It's more powerful than a hw30 and will out shoot one with no problem....it has a better barrel than a hw. Yup it's not pretty but dont be fooled it shoulders very nice. I love shooting it even though I have pcp rifles. 
1538660817_2281341305bb619d1423843.21691220_20180905_182851.jpg

To answer the 2 questions you asked:

Very little recoil in an HW30 right out of the box, and after you've shot the gun for awhile it will smooth out even more..so no you don't feel any shock after the shot.

And it's hard to judge what quiet is to different people, but I can say I shoot my HW30'S in my backyard and from my house which is 25 yards from the place I shoot from, my wife says what she hears sounds like a clap of the hand once every 30 seconds or so. ( I know not very scientific, but gives you an idea of sound level)

As far as distance : My HW30'S are zeroed @ 23 yards and at 30 yards I hold 1" over. After 30 yards it starts to drop pretty quick. If you are interested in shooting this gun beyond 30/35 yards, then you might want to consider the HW 50 as was suggested. Another great gun for sure.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I fired the HW30 at AoA today and it felt good! It was louder than I expected it would be, but part of that might be due to the close quarters and hard surfaces of the indoor "test" range that they have there.

I was able to pull my wallet out to buy a Bantam Sniper HR in .22 cal today, but not quite decided on picking up a springer also. They really are totally different animals than the PCPs, that's for sure.