Once you're well set with PCP, is there merit to buying a low-cost springer?

I've been thinking about buying another air rifle (have a RW .22HP at present).

I know that I want a semi-bull pup or bullpup PCP (such as a Wildcat MkII .22) as a short and lightweight compliment to my RW .22HP (which is a long and heavy beast).

I've also been entertaining the idea of picking up a Weihrauch HW30S .177 for close-in, casual plinking.

Once you've been well settled into shooting high quality PCP rifles, do low-cost springers sort of lose their appeal to a great degree?

Also, I've heard that springers are very particular about how they are held, how the trigger is pulled and such, causing variances in accuracy. So I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should just save my money by not buying an HW30.

Your thoughts on this?

I love both. Totally different animals. There is definitely something liberating about grabbing a tin of pellets and a gun and heading out for a good shoot. It's also nice to have a gun that you don't mind taking out in the rain or resting on a log, fence etc. As for hold sensitivity, some are worse than others but the ones with a sledge system eliminate the concern almost entirely. RWS/Diana 54 or 56, FWB 300 or a TX200 SR if you can find one.

I love both. Totally different animals. There is definitely something liberating about grabbing a tin of pellets and a gun and heading out for a good shoot. It's also nice to have a gun that you don't mind taking out in the rain or resting on a log, fence etc. As for hold sensitivity, some are worse than others but the ones with a sledge system eliminate the concern almost entirely. RWS/Diana 54 or 56, FWB 300 or a TX200 SR if you can find one.

Yes, I can see the appeal of being entirely free of air tanks, as well. I guess for the money (RW30S Deluxe is under $300), it's probably worth having one around.

I'm not at all familiar with the Diana 54 or 56, FWB300, or TX200, so I need to do some more homework! Do you feel they would be a better choice than the HW30S Deluxe?

.. pcp's are kind of like cheating , as compared to spring / piston airguns. supposedly , if you can master shooting springers (or rammers) , you should be able to shoot any type gun . but i generally hunt with an old school .22 benjamin discovery. it is lightweight, very quiet (thanks to tko) , very accurate with jsb's , easy follow up shots, and 23 ftlbs.... i also hunt with a .22 steel eagle np2 , which is also very quiet and 20 ftlbs. both are american barrels , easy to get parts for , and not too fancy to drag through the briars with while plenty accurate and powerful enough for me. cottontail and eurasian dove (which are an invasive species here and have no hunting rules upon) are easy to clean and tasty.

The HW30S in synthetic is in the US as well now.

Interesting... I didn’t know that. Hmmm.

Dhart, my buddy tried to get around pumping when his boys and I got into PCPs. He picked up a TX200 and after a weekend of that rig he was in the PCP world. I have several springers and they are all dust collectors. To each their own, but if you want smaller and nimble get a WC MarkII, Taipan or Edgun Lelya. But that's just me, some like springers, for me I like seeing the impact and being quite. I still have two Diana's and several break barrels that I took a bucket load of game with. Before that my crossman pumps took many birds too. Evolution is a beautiful thing. I wont be going backwards any time soon. 

An HW30 would be great for when your air tank is low, your rifle blows a seal, you run out of the pellets it likes, you just want to have simple "grab it and shoot" fun, or you want to shoot in an environment where the low muzzle energy is safer/better for the task at hand.

Generally speaking, the lower the power of the springer, the easier it will be to shoot. Get a good quality one and have it tuned by someone trustworthy, and you will have something you will love to shoot. 

In my opinion the answer to the OP's question is NO! Try to control yourself. Besides that springer people are touched if you know what I mean. Kind of like hanging out with BAD company. I've herd it said that people that shoot springers are people of questionable character. I've had some first hand experience with this as a FWB-124 still resides in my gun safe. Ask yourself this. Would you want your daughter to go out with someone that owned a springer? Good luck. Sylvan :)

My own personal opinion - and this is strictly a personal opinion to take it for what it's worth.

When you say Low Cost Springer, what does that really mean? I can buy a Fortitude or Maximus and not spend what a decent low cost springer will cost. You already have all the tanks and such for refilling, so a low cost PCP might be a better option.

Springers work by slamming a piston forward, then the instant stop when the piston hits the front wall of the chamber creates a nasty shake, and you must use the "Artillery Hold" to have any kind of accuracy. The vibrations from the gun can really be unnerving.

I do have both PCP's and Springers. Can't remember last time I subjected myself to the springers. The power plant, at least for me, is so hard to work with. Once I got into PCP's, never really looked back.

With the number of lower cost PCP's now, I'd consider a lower cost PCP that's the proper size (shoulder stock and such) for her. Maximus is $165 from Crosman using the AGNATION code, and with a bit of work on the trigger (costs about $1 to fix the trigger), it's not fantastic, but it's decent. The smooth shooting means it's simpler to operate.

Consider the:

Gamo Urban, Beeman QB Chief, Hatsan Flash, Benjamin Maximus and Fortitude, Diana Stormrider and others in the sub-$300 range. After all, you've already got all the tanks, and springers of any quality will run at least $200 and UP! If you consider $500 low cost, consider the Marauder and others. Prices have changes so much over the years.

Strike the Gauntlet from the list. Umerex customer service is non-existent..

Just my thoughts

In my opinion the answer to the OP's question is NO! Try to control yourself. Besides that springer people are touched if you know what I mean. Kind of like hanging out with BAD company. I've herd it said that people that shoot springers are people of questionable character. I've had some first hand experience with this as a FWB-124 still resides in my gun safe. Ask yourself this. Would you want your daughter to go out with someone that owned a springer? Good luck. Sylvan :)

WOW

LOL. I don't like the high power springers but my HW30 is pretty nice. It definitely is harder to shoot accurately. BUT when you consider the average person with a limited budget for this a springer makes a lot more sense. A super nice HW 97 set up with a scope and mounts is going to cost under a grand. When you get into PCP a grand will only get the pump primed. The PCP is the way to go if you can manage the money.

I got the HW30 to hunt with (some) because the investment in the Red Wolf requires great care be given. HOWEVER if you mean by cheap the junk that's sold in the chain stores for a hundred or so bucks they are not worth the trouble. Terrible triggers biggest problem with them.

i only have 2 PCPs. a Brocock Contour and Brocock Concept. Both hit exactly where i'm aiming every time. however, i shoot my Benjamin NP2 Trail and RWS 34 (in that order) more than the 2 PCPs. Why? i don't have to lug the tank with me and they are more of a challenge. also, there's nothing like that mechanical sound when cocking a 34.😌

when hunting, the Contour is my gun of choice, hands down. but, i've been caught in downpours more than once and spending hours disassembling, drying, and cleaning is not fun.

now i always bring one of the springers with me for foul weather shooting and as a back up. also with the 34 if i was to drop the rifle and mess up the scope, i can remove it and carry on hunting with the iron sights.

if your looking to get into a spring gun, the HW30 is a great choice.