• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Once again, should I get air rifle for PRS/NRL22?

drsquall

Jul 22, 2022
OK
Hello,
It's me again with same question just months later. LOL I had lost interest in the air rifle for PRS/NRL22 but with the Panthera coming out it made me itch again. I was about to pull the trigger on a rimx build but thinking about putting the money towards a pcp for NRL. Now to be honest I only shoot about 1 match a month here locally and have no intentions of traveling alot with my work schedule. I only get 2 weekends off a month. Also, I do not have bottles or compressor yet but my rimx build was going to cost about 3500 w/out scope so that's my budget all in. I am also a lefty so I need an ambi stock at least, I'm fine with cocking lever on right side as long as it is in front of my face. I don't want a bullpup. I was looking at the Panthera or the RAW chassis. I know it's a totally different ballgame, but I really want to do it. LOL Talk me out of it? The club I shoot at are PRS rimfire not NRL. We do have some shots that are out past 200yds. Usually just one stage like a troop line shooting bigger targets out to 300 sometimes of bench or prone. Most shots average around 75-150yds. So lets here your ideas thoughts please.

Jon

I'd recommend the RAW HM1000x chassis in 25 cal. The newer model doesn't have the big can moderator on it so you can use a air stripper and/or muzzle brake. I'm not a PRS shooter but come to this sport from FT/R mid range (600 yards). I believe Martin at RAW can switch charging handle for left hand or just to operate from left like we do in FT/R (I could be wrong about that, tho.) You'd be under $2000 including a few mods. Also I believe this air tank is larger than the FX model. Here's a pic of my setup when I was hosting a Nightforce Competition scope. I use a March Hi-Master 48x fixed power scope now.

06941E43-E059-4168-AF95-27E31421A51B.jpeg

I'd recommend the RAW HM1000x chassis in 25 cal. The newer model doesn't have the big can moderator on it so you can use a air stripper and/or muzzle brake. I'm not a PRS shooter but come to this sport from FT/R mid range (600 yards). I believe Martin at RAW can switch charging handle for left hand or just to operate from left like we do in FT/R (I could be wrong about that, tho.) You'd be under $2000 including a few mods. Also I believe this air tank is larger than the FX model. Here's a pic of my setup when I was hosting a Nightforce Competition scope. I use a March Hi-Master 48x fixed power scope now.

View attachment 322884
Did you shoot pellets or slugs mostly?

I shoot both. This will group NSA 29 grain slugs under an inch at 100 yards. It's set up for JSB 34 grain pellets (I don't recall the speed of either.) Here's a group of NSA at 100 using a simple hold over - no dial in from a 50 yard zero. It was in heavy mirage as well that day - everything was against me 🙄

2D8FA50B-1A91-4ACA-8E0F-246539944899.jpeg

I shoot both. This will group NSA 29 grain slugs under an inch at 100 yards. It's set up for JSB 34 grain pellets (I don't recall the speed of either.) Here's a group of NSA at 100 using a simple hold over - no dial in from a 50 yard zero. It was in heavy mirage as well that day - everything was against me 🙄

View attachment 322888
Very nice. How many shots per fill do you get?

Thanks
Jon

I shoot both; Vudoo & FX Impact. Luck to have two NRL22 Matches a month in the Phoenix area. Normally shooting one with air other match rimfire. Air - I shoot pellet, .25cal mostly. Starting to experiment with .22cal slugs. May shoot an NRL22 X match in .22cal slugs-700mm Heavy Superior barrel liner. I have not seen or put hands on the new offering by FX. Good Luck with your choice.

Reactions: tibor and drsquall
I shoot both; Vudoo & FX Impact. Luck to have two NRL22 Matches a month in the Phoenix area. Normally shooting one with air other match rimfire. Air - I shoot pellet, .25cal mostly. Starting to experiment with .22cal slugs. May shoot an NRL22 X match in .22cal slugs-700mm Heavy Superior barrel liner. I have not seen or put hands on the new offering by FX. Good Luck with your choice.
Thank you I appreciate the information

It hasn't been determined in actual competition how well the Panthera holds zero. There's not much else worse than having a POI shift during a match! Unfortunately I know this more than most do and it really sucks!

IMHO the RimX is the way to go "as long you sort out any feeding issues". I'd wait a season or two to make sure the Panthera does what its supposed to. Most airguns are built much more fragile than firearms are and in more than a few ways airguns are still behind firearms.
The main strong point with airguns is being able to achieve low ES which can be sub 10 fps whereas most 22rf ammo is in excess 30 fps. Even despite that it's common for slugs in airguns to give flyers which is annoying.

In our XFT matches at PRCG down in Phoenix the guys shooting slugs on average haven't been able to overcome the 22rf and pellet shooters yet. I believe the reasons I already stated are the culprits.
Might this change, possibly??

Reactions: drsquall
It hasn't been determined in actual competition how well the Panthera holds zero. There's not much else worse than having a POI shift during a match! Unfortunately I know this more than most do and it really sucks!

IMHO the RimX is the way to go "as long you sort out any feeding issues". I'd wait a season or two to make sure the Panthera does what its supposed to. Most airguns are built much more fragile than firearms are and in more than a few ways airguns are still behind firearms.
The main strong point with airguns is being able to achieve low ES which can be sub 10 fps whereas most 22rf ammo is in excess 30 fps. Even despite that it's common for slugs in airguns to give flyers which is annoying.

In our XFT matches at PRCG down in Phoenix the guys shooting slugs on average haven't been able to overcome the 22rf and pellet shooters yet. I believe the reasons I already stated are the culprits.
Might this change, possibly??
That’s great info. I haven’t pulled the trigger on a high end 22lr because of the inconsistency of the 22 ammo regardless of maker. I was wondering if pellets or slugs did the same thing and have flyers. To be honest I get tired of chasing lot numbers in 22lr. I was hoping pellets were more consistent. Keep it coming.

That’s great info. I haven’t pulled the trigger on a high end 22lr because of the inconsistency of the 22 ammo regardless of maker. I was wondering if pellets or slugs did the same thing and have flyers. To be honest I get tired of chasing lot numbers in 22lr. I was hoping pellets were more consistent. Keep it coming.

Yep nothing is perfect.

It's a tough one! On the whole I've had MANY more problems with pellet guns, including the expensive ones, than with rimfires or centerfires. The guys that have the most success with airguns are the guys that know how to tune their guns and these things can go out of tune quickly.

I brought my 22rf to the Lapua test facility in the Phoenix area. It was worth the time and money. I bought a case that lasted 8 years. Mine averaged .264" at 50Y when competing in the 6 groups of 5 shots on SH years ago.

The panthera you are able to move the handle either to the left or right. There is a local guy I shoot with that bought a panthera as soon as they came out. The groupings he is getting at 100 yards really are impressive. He just got an order of 40 grain slugs in yesterday and he is going to test with those.

I am honestly in the same boat. The RimX will be a purchase I will get either way. The "feeding issues" can be solved with the adjustments on the mag itself. Either way honestly both rifles are nice, and either one would be a good option.

Yep nothing is perfect.

It's a tough one! On the whole I've had MANY more problems with pellet guns, including the expensive ones, than with rimfires or centerfires. The guys that have the most success with airguns are the guys that know how to tune their guns and these things can go out of tune quickly.

I brought my 22rf to the Lapua test facility in the Phoenix area. It was worth the time and money. I bought a case that lasted 8 years. Mine averaged .264" at 50Y when competing in the 6 groups of 5 shots on SH years ago.
You bring up a great point about the air rifles, I'm not a tinker and just want to grab a gun and go shoot. Sounds like I should leave the PCPs to plinking,and hunting. Maybe I will get the Rimx built. Thanks again.

Jon

If you want to grab and go, and not have to make adjustments for weather/ temperature changes, and you want the RimX anyway. Well sir you basically answered your own question. And pellets are just as inconsistent as rimfire. Plus with the rifle you won’t have to worry about compressors or air tanks, or ruptured o-rings, or breach seals, or any other air rifle only problems.

If you want to grab and go, and not have to make adjustments for weather/ temperature changes, and you want the RimX anyway. Well sir you basically answered your own question. And pellets are just as inconsistent as rimfire. Plus with the rifle you won’t have to worry about compressors or air tanks, or ruptured o-rings, or breach seals, or any other air rifle only problems.
100%

There's a power output threshold (different for all of us, based on personal preference and desired use) where the benefits/downside relationship inverts back over to rimfire (or bigger powder burners). A lot of that is shot count at desired output level. And that relates back to the relative difficulty of keeping high pressure air at high pressure (ie in a usable state for an airgun).

Reactions: drsquall
Yeah, I think you are right. I was just wanting to try it out but sounds like its more than I bargained for. I necessary don't need a rimx but it would be nice. I like vudoo as well.

Thanks
Jon

Vudoo, RimX, Tikka T1x are the top end of the rimfire. The brass extractors on RimX can be an issue. I know folks who had a RimX and/or a Tikka T1X and felt they just couldn't match a Vudoo shot for shot, purchased a Vudoo-problems solved. Midas has replaced Center X as the better value/group ammo at the Lapua facility in Mesa, AZ.

Air rifle slug growth in accuracy and consistency has been slow coming IMO. I feel that changing with better reacting regulators and barrels. Better ammo design contributes as well. Projectile performance, based on traits learned from 6Dasher, 6GT, 6BR, etc will/are influencing air rifle slug design. Air rifles will see more of the copy-cat from the PRS Ceterfire designs.

So the Panthera 700mm barrel does what the 800mm barrel on an Impact does; just takes a different regulator in the Panthera, seems to me.

Accuracy thoughts between rimfire and air rifle: the standard deviation in air rifles is getting smaller and more consistent. These numbers will surpass the rimfire ammo, providing an advantage for air rifles, accuracy. Has this transformation taken place already or are we see the improved deviations with the new air rifle systems - Panthera.

Last edited:
Reactions: tibor and steve123